Hurley's Gold

What shotshells to use in an new/old shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Okay, after trying not to buy it for a week and losing, I bought the Remington model 31, 12 gauge pump that was in the for sale section. My question do I need to worry about what I feed it? It's a 12 gauge Remington Model 31 manufactured in 1939. 2 3/4" chamber, 30" barrel, with a modified choke. After looking at the 12 gauge offerings at Academy, I'm just confused. Do I need to worry about fps velocity, handi-cap loads, heavy target, loads? I haven't bought 12 gauge shells in over 45 years. Back then, I bought whatever 7 1/2 shot Western Auto had in stock. Around here I would be going after doves, squirrels and maybe clays. I just didn't want to wreck my new toy. Or am I overthinking it? Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• IMG_7130.jpeg
      IMG_7130.jpeg
      143.7 KB · Views: 19

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Lufkin, TX
    I'd agree with above. 2-3/4" shells should be good. Definitely overthinking to me but my parents each shoot a Winchester 1894 in competitions in SASS for the last 20 years. No problems in factory Winchester low recoil. The youngest gun is in the same year as yours and oldest is 1899 ish. They also have one loaded with regular loads for defense and have no problem shooting regular rounds out of it or any of the other ones they have.

Top Bottom