• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Just looking at the 2024 Hodgdon data, and Long Shot being the only of the listed powders that I have on hand, I am going to work with it first, with the Hornady 100-grain XTP and small rifle primers. Anyone else loading for this controversial newish round?
    Military Camp

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Just looking at the 2024 Hodgdon data, and Long Shot being the only of the listed powders that I have on hand, I am going to work with it first, with the Hornady 100-grain XTP and small rifle primers. Anyone else loading for this controversial newish round?

Not loading for it. Now anyway, curious as to why you are using srp’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Pak, apparently Federal loads it with small rifle primers for the high pressures involved, and all the loads in the new Hodgdon manual specify small rifle primers as well, for the thicker cup, I assume. The Hodgdon loads go above 48,000 in some cases. That said, many are loading it with small pistol primers with apparent success.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Pak, apparently Federal loads it with small rifle primers for the high pressures involved, and all the loads in the new Hodgdon manual specify small rifle primers as well, for the thicker cup, I assume. The Hodgdon loads go above 48,000 in some cases. That said, many are loading it with small pistol primers with apparent success.

May get that type of pressure with a magnum pistol primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Well, I shot and chronographed first handloads this afternoon and was a bit surprised by the results. Federal brass, Federal 205 small rifle primer, 5.6 and 6 grains respectively of Long Shot under the Hornady 100-grain XTP. Groups out of the Smith EZ were a bit low, left at 25 yards and not particularly admirable at 5-6 inches but I am still breaking in the pistol. The federal factory 100-grain FMJ gave 1240 fps. The 6.0-grain load of LS gave me an average of 1280, and an extreme spread of 153 fps -- I have read of these wide variations with Long Shot. But the 5.6-grain load gave an average of 1308 and an extreme spread of 65 fps. These are deep waters.

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    By the way:
    Dear Starline Brass:
    I know you get requests by the bucket load on a daily basis. Here is mine: After rediscovering the .30/.32 family of pistol cartridges thanks to the .327 Federal Magnum and your excellent brass, I took another look at the .30 Super Carry and am now shooting and loading for it. I don't know what modifications it would take to the drawing and forming process you use to produce .32 French Longue, but surely it wouldn't take much more to produce .30 Super Carry. There is a small but growing cadre of dedicated .30 SC shooters out there who would be forever grateful -- and thrilled to buy your product.
    Thanks for listening!
    Bill in Sweetwater, TX

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    So am I. I have more of the 100-grain XTPs loaded over 5.6 of Long Shot and alsopoicked up a couple of boxes of Speer 115-grain FMJ from Academy to chronograph.

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Well I finally managed to cast a few boolits from Tom's .31-115H mold and I think they make up into a mighty handsome cartridge. Should be able to get them close to 1200 fps. That's the factory Speer 115-grain FMJ on the right.

Top Bottom