Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Painting the ar-15 selector marking and manufacturer's marks

Quote Originally Posted by noomi View Post
    However, I have also used crayons, rub them over the stampings till they fill in. Use an alcohol swab to remove any that gets anywhere you do not want it. I have used this method to make stampings and serial numbers easier to read for years. Have a couple rifles that were done about 10 years back that still look good.

Same here. I use crayons. The paint kinda makes a mess. Ive painted in roll marks. Then cleaned up the area with nail polish remover. Crayons are just way easier to use. Plus it seems the colors are brighter(reds and white). Parkerizing really sucks paint up and really makes it hard to clean up to where the letters are sharp.

Here is a shot of the tools I use for paint fill:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colorfill-1.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	16823

The Sharpie paint markers and Testors thinner I get at Hobby Lobby. Q-Tips and technique brushes from Wal-Mart.

Throw in a cotton ball here and there when necessary and whammo: paint filled roll marks that will not fade or melt.
    Shiner is my beer,
    The Reverend Horton Heat my preacher,
    Stoner's creation my passion,
    The Great State of Texas my Valhalla.

U.S. Army Veteran
    Texas National Guard Veteran
    Texas Landman
    Avid AR builder/collector

Here's what I did with ladygun's AR today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350267454.170835.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	16824

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wanna shoot farther

I used some of the ole lady's nail polish and remover. But it left kind of a weird weird finish on it. Gonna try some different remover or some brake cleaner.

I used non-acetone. It did leave a cloudy look but I oiled it and it's gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wanna shoot farther

OThis is crayon. It even matches the color of the free float. I would have had to mix and mix model paint or whatever paint, to get it anywhere the same color.

Clean the roll mark with mineral spirits. I used an Army tooth brush. Warm the area up. Heat up the crayon and drip it on the roll mark( I use a butane torch). Let cool(very important, cuz the warm crayon will pull the wax out of the roll mark if you try to scrape the excess off). Scrape the excess off with a plastic or wood scraper of some kind, flush with surface. Clean up area with a tiny bit of mineral spirits on a rag, rubbing lightly. Oil the area to match the rest of the receiver.

If you need to remove it. Just scrub it with an Army toothbrush and mineral spirits.It doesn't just melt right off. It takes some scrubbing. I oiled it with triflow. As you can see, oil didn't wash it off or melt it.
    Last edited by grasshopperglock; 08-30-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Has anyone tried this technique on top of a receiver painted using the straw-method?

Agree with the crayon method. Easy to do and redo if needed. Also easy to remove if you want to remove it.

Back in the '80s I read about folks doing this with Liquid Paper. My dad also read it. Within a week, every firearm he owned had a spot of liquid paper on the front sight to increase visibility, but he never bothered to highlight the markings on the guns themselves.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Kneel, son of Jor-El! KNEEL before ZOD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
    Back in the '80s I read about folks doing this with Liquid Paper. My dad also read it. Within a week, every firearm he owned had a spot of liquid paper on the front sight to increase visibility, but he never bothered to highlight the markings on the guns themselves.
    Model paint works very well and is quite tough.
    START ALL GLOCK SYSTEMS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast