Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best place to hunt Jack Rabbits or white tail in El Paso?

Whats the best place to hunt Jack Rabbits or white tail rabbits here in El Paso? There are some good spots up here by Horizon but I'd like to go try other areas.

Where other than the East side of town are you wanting to go?
    Are you trapping or shooting?

There are not too many areas on the west side or NE side of town where you can pop rabbit without being too close to the neighborhoods.
    "Never surrender your weapon to anyone who desires to see you defenseless and dependent upon the establishment for your well being." - ME!

I'm assuming you eat the cottontails, but do you also eat the jackrabbits you kill?
    "Be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time."
    -Chief Tecumseh

Both are ok to eat.
    With both animals, check for ticks and flea infestation before skinning and always wear gloves.
    In the desert heat pretty much year round you have to be wary of Tularemia.
    "Never surrender your weapon to anyone who desires to see you defenseless and dependent upon the establishment for your well being." - ME!

Aywhere really. I've always stuck to the eastside but want to discover more areas. Yea, both are good to eat.Like Ozzman said, check for parasites and disease although i havent ran into a diseased one in a while. Both have provided some pretty healthy looking pelts too.

Do they still pay bounties on jack rabbits? When I was very young, my Dad used to take me with him to hunt the Jacks and take the hides in to get money for them.

Admittedly, that was 50 years ago, and things may have changed, significantly.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

A few years ago we went for Rabbit out near the Tornillo area.
    To get there it will require a 4WD vehicle, but there are some good hunting areas just north of the overpass. I remember we bagged quite a few on that day. There is a huge swath of state property beyond the cattle guard(UT Property), and there are a few water sources and vegetation patches where many rabbits and birds congregate. No homes or roads nearby, and there should no issues with local Sheriffs running operation Cease Fire as this is 100% state property. I can print screen a map if you like.

Your best bet will be to cross the border (not into Mexico) and hunt on public land.
    I carry a revolver.

Im not sure if they still offer bounties for jackys but theyre fun to hunt nonetheless. I do have a 44 vehi le and that area sounds good. A map would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Pliskin View Post
    Yea, both are good to eat.
    I know. I was just asking because most people turn their noses up at jackrabbits.
    "Be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time."
    -Chief Tecumseh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast