Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    The only complaints that I've ever had about the .40 caliber reflect cost of the ammo, availability of same and that reloading it requires small pistol primers which never seemed right to me.

I am a brass hound who prowls our club firing lines relentlessly looking for brass. I suggest that .40 is not losing popularity and I base that upon the tons of that brass that I see laying on the ground.

Flash
    You gotta die of something.....it may as well be something that you like!

My missing album is back! Thanks, guys! You can still access the photos by clicking this link:
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...h-how-how.html

Flash has 11 positive feedback scores but the system ate them and they are gone without a trace!

Quote Originally Posted by MikePotts View Post
    All (3) of my Glocks are 40S&W and during the last ammunition shortage I was glad to have them, Cabelas was always able to hook me up with ammo. on-line.

I can see that it's becoming passť but I suspect ammunition will be around for a loooong time.
    It's not going anywhere.

People don't appreciate what it takes to introduce a new caliber. At this point we have so many different variations it's tough for the market to justify anything that doesn't already fill a need. That's just one of the many reasons .45 GAP hasn't taken off.

.40 S&W established itself, but it may not be the "hot" round right now. I think you'll still find it in the holsters of many LEO's for a long time to come.
    If you could eat schadenfreude it would be like dark chocolate. A little bitter with a sharp after-taste, but still sweet enough that you really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
    It's not going anywhere.

People don't appreciate what it takes to introduce a new caliber. At this point we have so many different variations it's tough for the market to justify anything that doesn't already fill a need. That's just one of the many reasons .45 GAP hasn't taken off.

.40 S&W established itself, but it may not be the "hot" round right now. I think you'll still find it in the holsters of many LEO's for a long time to come.
    Spot on, CrazedJava.
    Clay

Please help this fellow Texas / Veteran family in a time of need while their baby girl battles leukemia.
    https://helpinghandsawo.org/projects/tinsley-tough/

Love the .45 with its long slow kaboom recoil.
    Love the .40 with its ,( so called) snappy recoil that allows me to reacquire the target a bit faster.
    Love the 9mm and the ability to put 17 rounds of very fast moving lead down range in the time it takes to sneeze.
    Just love them all. Now if my government will just wise up and allow me too afford to shoot them.
    If I had to choose one and only one, I'd be very unhappy.

“May 6, 2014
    FBI Training Division: FBI Academy, Quantico, VA
    Executive Summary of Justification for Law Enforcement Partners

• Caliber debates have existed in law enforcement for decades
    • Most of what is “common knowledge” with ammunition and its effects on the human target are rooted in myth and folklore (Andy's note - THANK YOU!)
    • Projectiles are what ultimately wound our adversaries and the projectile needs to be the basis for the discussion on what “caliber” is best
    • In all the major law enforcement calibers there exist projectiles which have a high likelihood of failing LEO’s in a shooting incident and there are projectiles which have a high ting incident likelihood of succeeding for LEO’s in a shooting incident
    • Handgun stopping power is simply a myth (Andy's note - THANK YOU!)
    • The single most important factor in effectively wounding a human target is to have penetration to a scientifically valid depth (FBI uses 12” – 18”) (Andy's note - THANK YOU!)
    • LEO’s miss between 70 – 80 percent of the shots fired during a shooting incident
    • Contemporary projectiles (since 2007) have dramatically increased the terminal effectiveness of many premium line law enforcement projectiles (emphasis on the 9mm Luger offerings)
    • 9mm Luger now offers select projectiles which are, under identical testing conditions, I outperforming most of the premium line .40 S&W and .45 Auto projectiles tested by the FBI
    • 9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)
    • The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)
    • There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto
    • Given contemporary bullet construction, LEO’s can field (with proper bullet selection) 9mm Lugers with all of the terminal performance potential of any other law enforcement pistol caliber with none of the disadvantages present with the “larger” calibers
    FBI 9MM Justification, FBI Training Division
    Last edited by Andy; 09-23-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

I'll stick with my .45.
    Merry Christmas Link

ExPeCt_ThE_uNeXpEcTeD

Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    I have been seeing articles that are saying the 40 S&W round is being replaced with the 9mm with many law enforcement agencies. Most of the articels just bad mouth the 40 in general. The main reason they are claiming the trend to 9mm is happening is due to officers being able to qualify better with the 9mm. Interesting. I wonder if this will cause the next "coolest thing" and people will start a mass dumping of 40 weapons and ammo to switch to 9mm? As for me, no thanks. Nothing against 9mm, I just don't see anything wrong with 40.
    People have been dumping .40's pretty heavily over the past 2-3+ years, especially with all of the past ammo shortage issues and increasing ammo prices. If you look around now, there is no end to the used and decently-priced G22's, G23's, and even some G27's that you can find pretty much anywhere.
    "Ammo in the gun = Time in the fight." -Paul Gomez

SERPA Hater Crew founding member #1

Modern 9mm is totally reliable and worthy as any .40, it's cheaper and also easier to find. Results of actual shootings have shown that the 9mm is a totally capably round. It's cost effective to move from the .40 to the 9mm especially if you buy lots of ammo.
    NRA Life Member
    GSSF Life Member, USAF Veteran
    Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail...

The FBI might switch, but DHS is still buying all the .40S&W it can get. I don't think .40S&W is going anywhere anytime soon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Working in South western IN now---but Texas boy!
    About a year ago here in Indiana, state troopers were told to turn in their 9 and they went to .45acp.
    " TO EDUCATE A MAN`S MIND AND NOT HIS MORALS, YOU HAVE AN EDUCATED MENACE TO SOCIETY"------ TEDDY ROOSEVELT

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast