Page 127 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1278
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawico View Post
    How much time frame from lot to lot?

I have heard many guys say to test a new lot of powder but have never done it myself.

This is also the first time anybody I have any faith in has shown the need to honestly.
    Around a year. I had bought a 8lb of imr4451 when it first came out and the one I tested was purchased within a few months. I ended up being 50fps slower than I would like but accuracy trumps speed. I've seen some difference in lot to lot of varget but the time frame between lots was several years. Rumor has it some of the availability of powder from hodgdon should get better after some recent import law changes.
    Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
    John Wayne

Double post.....Sorry

Flash
    Last edited by ROGER4314; 03-10-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    You gotta die of something.....it may as well be something that you like!

My missing album is back! Thanks, guys! You can still access the photos by clicking this link:
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...h-how-how.html

Flash has 11 positive feedback scores but the system ate them and they are gone without a trace!

What a triple post?
    Geeze!

I'll keep the one with the product links.

Sorry.................

Flash
    Last edited by ROGER4314; 03-10-2017 at 07:59 AM.

My missing album is back! Thanks, guys! You can still access the photos by clicking this link:

Flash has 11 positive feedback scores but the system ate them and they are gone without a trace!

The components for our .375 Socom project are inbound so I bought something for the project yesterday.

There is zero data available for .375 Socom reloading, but we have the maximum data used for the actual SAAMI pressure tests. There's going to be a lot of load variables as we determine supersonic and subsonic loads for the .375 Socom below the SAAMI maximum charges.

Will the load function in the rifle if we use the silencer or will it also work without the silencer? Will a standard muzzle device (suppressor/brake/flash hider) provide enough back pressure to run the rifle action? There's gonna be lots of tinkering with the charge data making 5-6 cartridges with each load and it's pretty tedious setting the measures.

Usually, I select my load, set the charge weight on my powder measure and check it periodically. Not much fussing required. No need for an automated weighing device, Huh?

I have many powder measures including:
    4- RCBS Uni Flow measures
    RCBS "Lil Dandy" measure with lots of rotors
    4 Dillon RL 550 measures
    2 Lyman #55 measures
    Full set of Lee Dippers.

All of those measures take a volume of powder in a cavity within the powder measure and that equates to weight of the charge. If you just poured powder into the measure and it's all fluffy, weight will be much different than after you bang around the workbench and pack that powder down. The same volume of powder will vary in weight. That requires the measure to be free of knocking, tapping or jostling the powder inside.

The Lyman 55 even has a small hammer built into the measure base. Flip that hammer to give each charge the same amount of powder density every time. Do it the same way every time. The conversion of dense or fluffy powder volume to weight is where we get our inaccuracy in powder charges. I'm not going to use a powder trickler to weigh each charge on a scale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/703...powder-measure

Enter the RCBS Chargemaster!
    Had my eye on this unit for a long time but couldn't justify it due to the way I load. I seldom change the charge weights (it's checked often but not changed) so it makes little sense to weigh each charge like the RCBS Chargemaster does. That unit meters and weighs every charge so there is no volume to weight conversion. It's perfect for the .375 Socom project! Ordered it yesterday.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772...combo-110-volt

Flash
    Last edited by ROGER4314; 03-08-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
    The components for our .375 Socom project are inbound so I bought something for the project yesterday.

There is zero data available for .375 Socom reloading, but we have the maximum data used for the actual SAAMI pressure tests. There's going to be a lot of load variables as we determine supersonic and subsonic loads for the .375 Socom below the SAAMI maximum charges.

Will the load function in the rifle if we use the silencer or will it also work without the silencer? Will a standard muzzle device (suppressor/brake/flash hider) provide enough back pressure to run the rifle action? There's gonna be lots of tinkering with the charge data making 5-6 cartridges with each load and it's pretty tedious setting the measures.

Usually, I select my load, set the charge weight on my powder measure and check it periodically. Not much fussing required. No need for an automated weighing device, Huh?

I have many powder measures including:
    4- RCBS Even Flow
    RCBS "Lil Dandy" with lots of rotors
    4 Dillon RL 550 Measures
    2 Lyman 55 measures
    Full set of Lee Dippers.

All of those measures take a volume of powder in a cavity within the powder measure and that equates to weight of the charge. If you just poured powder into the measure and it's all fluffy, weight will be much different than after you bang around the workbench and pack that powder down. The same volume of powder will vary in weight. That requires the measure to be free of knocking, tapping or jostling the powder inside.

The Lyman 55 even has a small hammer built into the measure base. Flip that hammer to give each charge the same amount of powder density every time. The conversion of dense or fluffy powder volume to weight is where we get our inaccuracy in powder charges. Check out the "knocker" on the front of the Lyman 55!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/703...powder-measure

Enter the RCBS Chargemaster!
    Had my eye on this unit for a long time but couldn't justify it due to the way I load. I seldom change the charge weights (it's checked often but not changed) so it makes little sense to weigh each charge like the RCBS Chargemaster does. That unit meters and weighs every charge so there is no volume to weight conversion. It's perfect for the .375 Socom project! Ordered it yesterday.

Flash
    You can say that again!

LOL
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Topk the 1858 Remington with the conversion cylinder to the range and tried the blacl powder cartridges. 20p grn lead rfn with 35 grains of powder. Worked great.
    The ones in the middle were aimed shots, the outliers were just point and shoot. Only took 24 rounds.so far I really like them. Just need to find an easy way to clean the brass. Way dirtier than smokeless powder.

from an idgit coffeeholic
    Cain did not shoot Able, He beat Him with a rock. I say the hell with guns, ban the damn rocks.

I know of a guy that drops them in a bucket of soapy water in his vehicle at the range. Get them soaking before the fouling gets a chance to get hard.
    When it is time to bury them it is time to dig them up.

I found out what's wrong with my pro1000 press. Damaged carrier. Ordered enough parts to completely build a new one and have a spare. Should be here tomorrow. Then I'll set it up to start loading 9mm with the powder coat cast bullets I made.

I also picked up a 22 mag rifle. With any luck I'll find some ammo for it and get to the range Sunday to test it and my PC rounds.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Well, I tested my powder coat rounds and they worked OK. Got my pro1000 going again so I went full scale and loaded about 250 or so before my arm got tired. Gonna finish up through this week a little at a time here and there.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Cast about seventy or so .577 Lee Improved Minie' bullets for the 1861 Springfield.
    Shiver me timbers!

Page 127 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128 LastLast