Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bulk ammo question?

So I decided to go with the Aero Precision AC 15 carbine. I'm planning on going to the shooting range this week but haven't purchased any ammo yet .. lol. I want to buy bulk ammo because I think it comes to be more affordable rather than just buying 20rd boxes. I've looked online mainly at academy and cabela's, and at cabela's they have PMC 300 rounds for $105 I believe. I don't know much about ammo but sounds like a good deal but is the quality some what goood?

If anyone has any recommendations to where to buy ammo or what kind to get.. I'd appreciate it. Also mainly using the rifle for target shooting. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Selway Armory & SG Ammo are places I normally buy from online.
    Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!

Quote Originally Posted by baboon View Post
    Selway Armory & SG Ammo are places I normally buy from online.
    any specific brands you'd recommend?

Wolf Gold is the best deal going for range ammo. SGAMMO and Sportsman Guide are where I buy the majority of My bulk ammo.

Just because you have a new rifle is no reason to spend a whole lot of money on bulk ammo that might not deliver the best accuracy your rifle is capable of.

Since you have a "precision" carbine, you can't feed it cheap fodder either, and expect sub-MOA accuracy.

First, determine the twist rate of your barrel. That will inform you as to the optimal bullet weight for that barrel.

Next, buy some 20-round boxes to find which works best in your rifle.

Then, start looking for bulk purchases of that ammo, or better yet, learn to load your own!

Be well & Happy New Year!
    It was what it was, back when it was good, and it ain't getting any better any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shortround View Post
    Just because you have a new rifle is no reason to spend a whole lot of money on bulk ammo that might not deliver the best accuracy your rifle is capable of.

Since you have a "precision" carbine, you can't feed it cheap fodder either, and expect sub-MOA accuracy.

First, determine the twist rate of your barrel. That will inform you as to the optimal bullet weight for that barrel.

Next, buy some 20-round boxes to find which works best in your rifle.

Then, start looking for bulk purchases of that ammo, or better yet, learn to load your own!

Be well & Happy New Year!
    Thanks!

I agree with getting a few boxes to try.

Most standard 55gr or 62gr bullets should be fine.

I would even check steel cased ammo. If it works fine in your rifle then load up on it (unless you plan on saving the brass for reloading).
    When it is time to bury them it is time to dig them up.

Sgammo and targetsportsusa are my go to's for ammo. Targetsportsusa offers free shipping on all bulk ammo purchases. For 223/5.56 ammo you have tons of good options and that does make it kind of overwhelming. For your intended purpose, which sounds like mainly target shooting/ plinking, I'd suggest almost any 55 grain fmj. For specific brands wolf gold, pmc, federal, prvi partisan aka ppu, fiocchi and Winchester are all good choices. Expect to pay approximately 30-40 cents per round for target/plinking ammo. Expect to pay more for match ammo if you are shooting for tiny groups instead of just shooting to improve your fundementals.
    Last edited by ktmguy; 12-26-2016 at 09:50 PM.

TGT Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shortround View Post
    Since when is a basic AR15 considered a precision carbine? LOL
    And even with match grade ammunition, achieving sub-MOA accuracy is gonna be pure luck.
    -Pete
    Greyhound Station, Downtown Houston

Quote Originally Posted by 40Arpent View Post
    Since when is a basic AR15 considered a precision carbine? LOL
    And even with match grade ammunition, achieving sub-MOA accuracy is gonna be pure luck.
    I don't think he realized Aero Precision is the manufacturer, not that it meant it is a precision rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast