Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A couple years ago I got a call from my bank on Father's Day asking about some suspicious charges. I was in Denver, my card was being used in Dallas. I got the fraud case opened and did some work on my end. One of the charges was at Specs Liquor, who I know has a plethora of cameras. I called there and talked to the manager- he pulled the tape from the day in question and confirmed yes, they had video of the person from several angles, and that he was using a Visa Gift Card that was linked to my account.

I asked him if he could hold onto the tape so I could notify Dallas PD. I called the PD and was routed over to their CC fraud division. Got voicemail. Left them a message with my info, contact info for the Specs manager with the videotape, and told them that this could likely be a large fraud ring, as they were equipped well enough to skim cards and then reprogram Visa Gift Cards with the stolen card info (probably so they won't be asked for ID when using it).

This was Monday, the day after Father's Day. They finally call me back.... about 2 weeks before Christmas. 6 freaking months to tell me that they just don't have the manpower to track down small scale fraud.

This is the reason I don't use a debit card but I understand why some prefer it over a credit card. I am glad to hear your bank took care of you. I know credit card companies have a proven record of doing so. I wasn't sure about banks with debit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on my fourth or fifth credit card in the last 2-3 years, due to ID theft/compromise. No idea how they got my info, but I've never lost a penny, never had to be reimbursed, just the hassle of waiting for new cards in the mail.

Notice I said "credit" card. You have much more protection. If your debit card is compromised, they can clean out your bank account. The only use for my debit card is at ATMs for cash at known reputable locations.
    USMC, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by oohrah View Post
    I'm on my fourth or fifth credit card in the last 2-3 years, due to ID theft/compromise. No idea how they got my info, but I've never lost a penny, never had to be reimbursed, just the hassle of waiting for new cards in the mail.

Notice I said "credit" card. You have much more protection. If your debit card is compromised, they can clean out your bank account. The only use for my debit card is at ATMs for cash at known reputable locations.
    Ditto to everything said.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Every time you use a pump, give it a firm tug before sliding it in.

You know ur gonna get quoted out of context - right?
    "We've had civilized killin' here for years". - Sam Hollis "If you care, you WON'T leave your pants in an unattended vehicle . . ."diesel1959 "At TGT after the first page (of a thread) all bets are off. Then by the third page typically two members get into some squabble over some erroneous fact [sic]." - Tx69

Quote Originally Posted by BRD@66 View Post
    You know ur gonna get quoted out of context - right?
    Yeah, kinda knew that before I posted it, as evidenced by that jester emoji.
    I'm curious to see where our wonderful group of deviants will go with it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    Every time you use a pump, give it a firm tug before sliding it in.

Whoop, I guess my ATM card got skimmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeepinbanditrider; 01-15-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123