Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I'm in an HOA of 1-3 acre lots. if I buy 100 ducks and let them lose in the neighborhood where are they likely to lay their eggs? Will they all migrate to one common area or will they group out with one possible group ending up on my land?

No live stock is allowed here so a chicken coupe type setup isn't going to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil45 View Post
    I'm in an HOA of 1-3 acre lots. if I buy 100 ducks and let them lose in the neighborhood where are they likely to lay their eggs? Will they all migrate to one common area or will they group out with one possible group ending up on my land?

No live stock is allowed here so a chicken coupe type setup isn't going to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have a neighborhood pond? If you setup some duck houses there they'd stick close by. Too many variables for every other question you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil45 View Post
    If you buy ducklings and turn them loose they're not likely to survive. They require a few weeks of being "mothered" before they are able to survive on their own. If you raise them, they'll think you're part of the flock and will hang around you, but they will stay wherever there is food and water. If you feed them in your yard, you'll likely have them hanging out on your porch waiting for you to come outside and feed them. Mine will tap on the window when they want something

Like matefrio says you can build nest houses that will encourage them to lay in one spot, but realistically they just lay wherever they damn well feel like it. Everyday is an egg hunt.

I'd be worried that the HOA would determine they are a nuisance and have them removed.
    Last edited by TheDan; 03-21-2017 at 11:22 AM.

They are close to being ready to be on their own in a coop outside.
    I guarantee the smell and the mess they make will push them out of your home.

At this age, they need very little space but you will need to consider that each duck will eventually need at least around 3 sqft to be comfortable. Size the coop accordingly.

Once their fuzzy fur drops off and first feathers start coming in, they will molt them within a month thus if you don't have a rake you better get one... with 10 ducks you will have a mess on your hands if not maintained daily, and if it gets windy everyone will know you have ducks.

The subsequent set of feathers from here on will be their flight feathers, thus you will need to look into clipping each duck with a set of scissors. There are good video's on youtube on how to do this.

Avoid the blood feather(s), and it's easy to do.
    Get prepared for eggs at this point. The hens will lay 1 to 2 eggs per day depending on diet and the amount of shell in their food.
    "Never surrender your weapon to anyone who desires to see you defenseless and dependent upon the establishment for your well being." - ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
    They are close to being ready to be on their own in a coop outside.
    I guarantee the smell and the mess they make will push them out of your home. .
    Yep, I'm trying to clean the coop every other day and still not keeping up with the smell as well as I'd like.
    A "gun free zone" is tyrannies playground.
    I carry a gun to give me options, not a single solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
    The subsequent set of feathers from here on will be their flight feathers, thus you will need to look into clipping each duck with a set of scissors.
    That's not necessary with the Khaki Campbells he has, unless he's trying to keep them contained with a 2ft tall fence. They can only get off the ground three or four feet and then only fly for about 10ft. They will however climb if they really want to. I've never had a female try to climb a fence, but my feisty drake will climb right over if he sees something he wants to fight or fuck.

Well, I'm now a customer of premier1supplies.com. I'll have fences and charger in by the weekend I hope. Now I need to make a tough decision on portable duck housing.

Quote Originally Posted by matefrio View Post
    Now I need to make a tough decision on portable duck housing.
    They don't need much. Once they are adults they are very weather proof and will prefer to stand in freezing rain than go in their house. There's some old idiom about weather being fit for a duck...

What will make it easier on you is to build a couple nesting houses. I've made a couple that are 30"x18"x18". A floor of 1/4" hardware cloth about 2" above the ground and a nice bed of hay. They lay in it pretty reliably. I had intended to bolt on some lawn mower wheels to the sides to make them easy to move around, but it's easy enough to just drag it around

About a pound each now at 3 weeks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234