.22 break barrel air rifles

I had a RWS 34 .22 break barrel air rifle as a kid that I must have shot everyday for years with tens of thousands of pellets through it. I gave it to my cousin before I joined the Army and he still has it.

I am in the market for another backyard plinker in .22 similar to my old 34. There are a ton of options now. Much cheaper than the RWS. Anybody have a solid sub 200 dollar rifle they care to share some info about?

Also are airguns not popular anymore? Only one post in this forum.
    U.S. Army OIF Veteran 63B
    Texas National Guard 91B
    NRA Life Of Duty Member

I can't recommend one <$200. The only one I got under $200 was a Benjamin Trail NP. I didn't like it. The trigger was poor and didn't have the advertised velocity and power. There is an NP2 model out now but don't know about it. I sent it back and got a Hatsan 125 sniper. It is closer to $300. If you are interested I can tell you more about it.

The best options I know of is to check out the ones at Walmart or Academy. Depending on what you want, some are not to bad.
    But if you want a better quality airgun, Paramid Air online is probably your best bet.

from an idgit coffeeholic
    Cain did not shoot Able, He beat Him with a rock. I say the hell with guns, ban the damn rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    I can't recommend one <$200. The only one I got under $200 was a Benjamin Trail NP. I didn't like it. The trigger was poor and didn't have the advertised velocity and power. There is an NP2 model out now but don't know about it. I sent it back and got a Hatsan 125 sniper. It is closer to $300. If you are interested I can tell you more about it.
    I have researched the Hatsan and it seems to be good rifle.
    Texas National Guard 91B
    NRA Life Of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrbfishn View Post
    The best options I know of is to check out the ones at Walmart or Academy. Depending on what you want, some are not to bad.
    But if you want a better quality airgun, Paramid Air online is probably your best bet.

from an idgit coffeeholic
    I have been looking at them at both Wal-Mart and academy, and will likely pick up one of the lesser expensive ones there. Was looking to see If anyone would recommend one over another. I have read lots of reviews on multiple ones on airgundepot and pyramidair. All of them seem to be about equal when it comes to these sub 200 dollar rifles. I guess I'll just pick one I like and go with it. I believe Wal-Mart has a good return policy if I get one I don't like.
    Texas National Guard 91B
    NRA Life Of Duty Member

Also, I have a vortex or gas spring(nitrogen?) rifle. Some rifles come available as coil springs or gas springs. Find out which one you would prefer and that will narrow down your search.

https://www.airgunsoftexas.co

I'd give him a call.
    Wealth of knowledge and doesn't mind helping folks.

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the land is not given by
    his father but is borrowed from his children." Audubon

I picked up a Remington 22 Express from Walmart a few months back. They had dropped the price from $109.99 to $39.99 and I could not resist getting a .22 springer for that cheap. They are not very accurate and I have tried several different pellet shapes and settled on dome shaped pellets to achieve the least ugly groupings. It's a springer so getting the artillery hold just right is key to keeping the groups together. But no matter what I tried, I always had a flyer or two and would not try to do any varmint hunting past 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post

Trey, the Trail NP ^^ is actually what I would recommend. Remarkably quiet for the FPE it generates. The trigger can be easily and cheaply upgraded (http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/part...en-ii-trigger/).

After understanding how to properly do the "artillery hold," my Trail NP was very accurate and consistent.

Thanks for your input everyone. I plan to pick one up this Friday. I have experience with these springers a little. Its been years since I had my old RWS. I do remember they like to recoil a bit. I do want open sights though. Most of the ones I keep seeing are set up for optics and from my experience never really held zero well. I'm probably going to go over my budget. I want something nice.
    Texas National Guard 91B
    NRA Life Of Duty Member