• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been asked ‘Which was the best car you ever owned ?’’

For background, I’ve had numerous cars, including 2 1962 Corvair Spyders, 3.5 Corvette Stingrays, an ‘’84 IHC Scout-II’’, 2 BMW’S, 3 MB’S, 5 JEEPS, 2 FORD 4WD’S, several GMC & Chevy Z71’s, a Cadillac, etc. (All were bought new except the 0.5 Vette, which was a long-term ‘’loan’’ from a good Friend.)

Without any doubt the overall best was the ‘84BMW 320E. (Mine had the mag wheels).

Comfortble leather seats, great stereo, super driver visibility, excellent transmision & brakes, smoothest engine ever, & when driven reasonably, got some 23mpg.

It was an absolute joy to drive ! (When my Wife let me drive it.)

see:
    see:
    1686173618263.jpeg
    Military Camp

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    !955 Chevy rag top, white over red, 1962 Chevy rag top power blue, 1957 Chevy coupe black 3 on the tree, 1962 Chevy rag top anniversary gold, 1962 black with silver inserts Corvette.

But my favorite is not necessarily in this order because I liked them all just for different reasons.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Define Best.

Reliable: 2001 Honda Accord 2.3L 5 speed I got second hand at two years old and 2x,xxx miles. Lots of road noise, not fast or even peppy. Four door in rental fleet silver so definitely not a chick magnet, LX trim so the interior was about as basic as they came. Exterior was scratched up and starting to get ratty. Sold it in 2012 with a tad over 240k miles on the clock. Wish I could have kept it, but the parking situation at my house made it difficult. With exception of the time the cooling fan went out, I had the luxury of planning every bit of work I did to it, and every bit of work was done by my hands.

The one I wish I had back: 1995 GMC Sierra. The first new vehicle I ever bought. I didnt have a lot of $ to spend, so I opted for the base model SL short wheel base single cab with the 5.7 V8, auto, transmission cooler, 3:42 limited slip rear end (which I later changed out to 3:73) bumper delete, steel wheels with the deluxe grille that was std on the SLE, rubber floors, crank windows but I did have tilt/cruise with auto locks. Truck was Indigo blue with the taupe interior. It was optioned out of main stream, so I had to special order it. When I picked it up, I already had new a set of BFG 275/60 Radial T/A wrapped around Centerline 15x10 billet aluminum wheels waiting in the garage. The following week, I had it tinted and all of the emblems removed except for the red GMC on the grill. I installed a 2/4 drop Beltech drop spindles, shackles and hangers. Two weeks later, I had the FlowMaster with dumps installed along with a color matched roll pan to fill the rear bumper void. Next I changed out the chrome front bumper to a paintable steel bumper and had it sprayed the same blue as the truck. I took a trip to the Chevy dealer down the road and picked up a new set of driving lights and air dam with the cutouts from the 454SS and put them on my truck. With the painted to match Check Mate flush bed over, it really was a sharp truck. I ended up trading it in with about 50k miles about two years later on a nearly identically equipped 1997 Chevy Cheyenne SWB single cab 5.7L because I wanted the added HP that the new Vortec heads provided. Again special order. But I did get the 5 speed and 3:73 limited slip on this one.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Define Best.

Reliable: 2001 Honda Accord 2.3L 5 speed I got second hand at two years old and 2x,xxx miles. Lots of road noise, not fast or even peppy. Four door in rental fleet silver so definitely not a chick magnet, LX trim so the interior was about as basic as they came. Exterior was scratched up and starting to get ratty. Sold it in 2012 with a tad over 240k miles on the clock. Wish I could have kept it, but the parking situation at my house made it difficult. With exception of the time the cooling fan went out, I had the luxury of planning every bit of work I did to it, and every bit of work was done by my hands.

The one I wish I had back: 1995 GMC Sierra. The first new vehicle I ever bought. I didnt have a lot of $ to spend, so I opted for the base model SL short wheel base single cab with the 5.7 V8, auto, transmission cooler, 3:42 limited slip rear end (which I later changed out to 3:73) bumper delete, steel wheels with the deluxe grille that was std on the SLE, rubber floors, crank windows but I did have tilt/cruise with auto locks. Truck was Indigo blue with the taupe interior. It was optioned out of main stream, so I had to special order it. When I picked it up, I already had new a set of BFG 275/60 Radial T/A wrapped around Centerline 15x10 billet aluminum wheels waiting in the garage. The following week, I had it tinted and all of the emblems removed except for the red GMC on the grill. I installed a 2/4 drop Beltech drop spindles, shackles and hangers. Two weeks later, I had the FlowMaster with dumps installed along with a color matched roll pan to fill the rear bumper void. Next I changed out the chrome front bumper to a paintable steel bumper and had it sprayed the same blue as the truck. I took a trip to the Chevy dealer down the road and picked up a new set of driving lights and air dam with the cutouts from the 454SS and put them on my truck. With the painted to match Check Mate flush bed over, it really was a sharp truck. I ended up trading it in with about 50k miles about two years later on a nearly identically equipped 1997 Chevy Cheyenne SWB single cab 5.7L because I wanted the added HP that the new Vortec heads provided. Again special order. But I did get the 5 speed and 3:73 limited slip on this one.
    BEST IS SUBJECTIVE BECAUSE OF THE INTENDED USE OF THE VEHICLE ALL OF MINE WERE THE DEST AT THE TIME I HAD THEM BECUASE THE WERE BOUGHT TO SERVE A PUROPOSE AND I CHOSE THEM BASED UPON THAT PURPOSE!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I had a Opel Manta when I started driving. It got wrecked pretty good in a corn field. The wife had several different cars the Toyota Camry was IMHO the best. I pretty much would rather drive a pick up.
    I had an Opel when I came back to the U.S. from assignments in Korea, Vietnam, Okinawa. It was a good handling car but could have used more power.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    My 2010 Cadillac STS. It was a joy to take on road trips it was very comfortable, very smooth and no Road Noise. Unfortuneately my Daughter borrowed it and wrecked it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Most fun? My '83 Mercury Capri GS - basically a 6 cylinder Mustang with different body panels and a different hatch on the back. Kept up with my buddy in his '65 Mustang on I-35 through Austin. My speedometer topped out at 85 (because it was the 80s and it wasn't a "sport" model or something) but Jimmy told me we were averaging about 140 mph according to his speedometer. Plus, there wasn't a single winding road in Hays County I had to slow down for - that car just ate the curves and sailed right through. I drove it till the transmission wore out when I was in college.

Best all-around? My current car, a 2015 Toyota Camry. It has nice pick-up-and-go (and paddle shifters, which are fun), good handling, a decently large trunk, and four doors with a back seat that's not too cramped for teenagers to ride in...and it gets 30+ miles to the gallon.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    2016 Buick Lacrosse. I had one for a year (28k miles) as my company car. It was loaded with everything including massage seats. It was THE most comfortable car I've ever sat in and I've been in the car business for a long time. Plenty of power and with the back seats folded down i could load a lot of camping gear of guns in there.

My favorite truck was my 2006 GMC crew cab. Relatively problem free until I parked it at 215k miles.

I really miss my 71 p/u but it wasn't as practical as my 06.

1686232782325.png

1686232850148.png

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I'm partial to ragtops, a Miata and a Wrangler. The only vehicles I never grew tired of after several years. One I wished we'd kept was the wife's 96 Thunderbird. Only 200hp but the feel was exactly like a Camaro from the 70's.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I’ve been asked ‘Which was the best car you ever owned ?’’

For background, I’ve had numerous cars, including 2 1962 Corvair Spyders, 3.5 Corvette Stingrays, an ‘’84 IHC Scout-II’’, 2 BMW’S
    I assume you meant 1974 IHC scout or 1964. since they quit making them in 1980.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    1969 Buick LeSabre, $500, Big back seat, big trunk, opened with a screwdriver. Some rust, 180k miles, tires were good.. Bought it in 1982. Drove it the 1200 miles one-way between Lincoln NE and Missoula MT and back 5 times in 5 years. No breakdowns.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom