• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I had a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle bought in 72. Great car and then the gas shortage came around and made it even better. When I moved from Long Island to upstate NY in 1978 I rebuilt the motor and added some performance parts to climb the Adirondack mountains. I got into a program called Beetleboards, they painted the car and put decals on it advertising "Artic Lights" cigarettes. I was paid monthly for participating which paid for my gas. Then at the end of the contract they paid me money to have the decals removed.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I had a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle bought in 72. Great car and then the gas shortage came around and made it even better. When I moved from Long Island to upstate NY in 1978 I rebuilt the motor and added some performance parts to climb the Adirondack mountains. I got into a program called Beetleboards, they painted the car and put decals on it advertising "Artic Lights" cigarettes. I was paid monthly for participating which paid for my gas. Then at the end of the contract they paid me money to have the decals removed.
    1st car I learned to start as a kid was a Beetle. Sister had one and she really hated the cold so I'd start it in the winter mornings to warm up. I'd had minibikes and dirt bikes so I was very familiar with working the choke on that Beetle.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I assume you meant 1974 IHC scout or 1964. since they quit making them in 1980.
    Yes, it has been corrected!
    1st car I learned to start as a kid was a Beetle. Sister had one and she really hated the cold so I'd start it in the winter mornings to warm up. I'd had minibikes and dirt bikes so I was very familiar with working the choke on that Beetle.
    <>

The original ‘’Beetle’’ had no place for the driver’s left foot when not on the clutch.

The SuperBeetle corrected this by adding length to the wheelbase, allowing a bit more space b/t the driver’s seat & the pedals.

It also had a bigger engine & better cooling to accommodate A/C.

leVieux

<>

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Yes, it has been corrected!

<>

The original ‘’Beetle’’ had no place for the driver’s left foot when not on the clutch.

The SuperBeetle corrected this by adding length to the wheelbase, allowing a bit more space b/t the driver’s seat & the pedals.

It also had a bigger engine & better cooling to accommodate A/C.

leVieux

<>
    Yeah I had the super beetle, I think 71 was the first year for the super. Had different heads or something. I put a Holley carb, oil cooler, mechanical distributor and headers.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    One I look back at with most fondness, 75 Toyota Celica I had in college. Best truck was an 86 Toyota. I have had no luck getting longevity out of domestic trucks. My 97 F150 was leaking antifreeze into the cylinders at 85000 miles.

Most fun and hopefully best, a 2023 Toyota 4Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014

I had an uncle that was a VW mechanic who raced Beetles up mountains in Pennsylvania. Scared the crap out of me up there when he was hauling ass and had a blowout on those roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Image result for 89 honda prelude si

My first car was an 89 prelude. Looked just like this one. It was so much fun to drive. I was sitting at a red light and a lady rear-ended me with a f150 doing about 35mph.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    1992 Nissan Maxima.
    Smooth ride, quiet interior, never had a failure in 80,000 miles.
    Handled like a sports car.
    Got 30 mpg driving across South Dakota doing 90 mph+.

My wife had an ‘02 that was super-reliable.

I believe it had around 178,00 miles in it when we gave it to her niece, who drove it another 200k.

My ‘08 Tundra. Now my son’s with 316,000 miles on it. I did have a new engine put in at 250k when a spark plug blew. The “new” engine had 100K on it.

I have a 2019 and if I didn’t need 4WD would still be driving the ‘08. The interior is so much nicer than the 3rd gens.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I had the super beetle, I think 71 was the first year for the super. Had different heads or something. I put a Holley carb, oil cooler, mechanical distributor and headers.
    <>

If you ever drove an “original”, the place to put one’s foot was a really big deal. The old ones were very uncomfortable b/c of that. One’s left knee had to be kept bent the entire time, so annoying.

<>

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Best car I owned for reliability, performance, ease to work on/modify was my 2004 Mercury Marauder.

A body on frame Crown Vic, with a Cobra engine and air ride suspension. Florida was smart enough to pick them up for police pursuit vehicles.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been asked ‘Which was the best car you ever owned ?’’

For background, I’ve had numerous cars, including 2 1962 Corvair Spyders, 3.5 Corvette Stingrays, an ‘’84 IHC Scout-II’’, 2 BMW’S, 3 MB’S, 5 JEEPS, 2 FORD 4WD’S, several GMC & Chevy Z71’s, a Cadillac, etc. (All were bought new except the 0.5 Vette, which was a long-term ‘’loan’’ from a good Friend.)

Without any doubt the overall best was the ‘84BMW 320E. (Mine had the mag wheels).

Comfortble leather seats, great stereo, super driver visibility, excellent transmision & brakes, smoothest engine ever, & when driven reasonably, got some 23mpg.

It was an absolute joy to drive ! (When my Wife let me drive it.)

see:
    see: View attachment 390993
    <>

I stand corrected, my Scout II was a 1974 model.

<>

gspfunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2023
    Little Elm, TX
    Our 08 WK1 SRT8. Got it in 2012. It was my wife’s dream car and we looked for a silver one for a year. we’ve considered selling it a few times, but just can’t do it. It’s one of the most comfortable vehicles I’ve driven, and plenty fast/fun, even though it’s a 15 year old SUV. Love that thing!

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpeg
      IMG_3564.jpeg
      224.2 KB · Views: 26

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    wife now has a2009nissan altima that replces her 2008altima that got totaled inanaccident where she got rear-ended gets almost 30mpg on the highway and is loaded with just about every option available on the altima rides pretyy good too i can curl up in the back seat and nap on the way back from dallas!

LabRat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    DFW
    My best is my current daily driver, a 2012 E92 Coupe. Beautiful red color, comfortable and decent gas mileage.
    Lots of fun to drive.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom