Military Camp

“Permanent Residents” serving as police?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017

Short version: A North Texas lawmaker has put forth a bill that would allow legal permanent residents to serve in law enforcement.

Thoughts?

I saw this article today, and even though the story says the bill has been introduced in previous legislative sessions, I had not heard about it before today.

This concerns me a bit because I immediately thought of Mexico and the stellar reputation their police force has, which pushed me toward the thought that this kind of bill opens up the perfect way for cartels to slip in those who are more than willing to turn a blind eye to certain activities that would normally draw the attention of law enforcement.

Those who are “legal residents“ have been serving in the military for several years, but I have also read stories about gangs there as well with the numbers increasing.

***Not that Wikipedia is the best source for facts and numbers, but I have seen other articles and reports that back up a proliferation in gang activity in the military.

From Wikipedia: According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment, the NGIC identified members of more than 53 gangs who served in the military.

Wikipedia also cites an FBI gang investigator saying that 1-2% of the military is involved in a gang, which puts their numbers at 50-100 times the general population‘s gang members.

Whether those numbers are true or not, how long would it take a major city, or cities struggling to find qualified LEOs to work the smuggling routes to become flooded with recruits that have gang or cartel ties?

I realize we are well on our way to a banana republic but the idea of turning over our safety to those who have a higher chance of being bought off, blackmailed, or threatened is a frightening thought.
    Texas SOT

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    A legally permanent alien in the US should be able to serve as a police officer, with the attainment of citizenship as a condition within a specified time period.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I like it! They are already here leagally. The process of becoming a citizen is ridiculously long and expensive.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Everyone brings valid points. I still can’t say that I’m in favor of non-citizens in a position of power legally, but can understand what y’all are saying.

Thanks for giving me a bit more to chew on.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Honestly, I ain't sure I like it or not. I can see pros and cons and ain't sure which is out weighed.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    We don't need those whose only qualification to become LE is being a legal resident.

That's far too low a standard especially if they're carrying.

But, if they're rigorously psychologically tested (we don't need bullies and the like) and are completely vetted with character testimony by credible sources...maybe.

Oh, if our standards are too high few will apply...perhaps a good thing...

We don't need 'LE wannabee's' who're in their own right are just another societal problem...

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Hiring standards and background investigations matter.

Served in the Military and Law Enforcement with many people born in other countries and worked their way to citizenship. Most show more pride and honor than natural born citizens.

Now when the Military or Police lower standards…. You get the bottom of the barrel.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We don't need those whose only qualification to become LE is being a legal resident.

That's far too low a standard especially if they're carrying.

But, if they're rigorously psychologically tested (we don't need bullies and the like) and are completely vetted with character testimony by credible sources...maybe.

Oh, if our standards are too high few will apply...perhaps a good thing...

We don't need 'LE wannabee's' who're in their own right are just another societal problem...
    might be too much power for some one holding personal grudges looking to getsome revenge or paybackbecuase the now have a badge and some authority!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "Served in the Military and Law Enforcement with many people born in other countries and worked their way to citizenship. Most show more pride and honor than natural born citizens."

This I believe!

Two of my best buds - One from Columbia, we were in Army basic and he was a proud naturalized citizen.

My other bud is from Venezuela who taught me how to properly paddle a sea kayak and also a proud naturalized citizen.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Those who are “legal residents“ have been serving in the military for several years, but I have also read stories about gangs there as well with the numbers increasing.
    Apparently the military has examined the trade-offs and decided a certain level of gang activity is acceptable. Not desired, mind you, but acceptable. There's always someone of a higher rank who is technically responsible for bad behavior and can either fix it when it gets out of hand or be held accountable after the fact.

Now, given the large number of law enforcement agencies that are home to truly aggressive gangs, I'm leaning towards not doing anything with even a remote chance of making that problem worse. The higher ranked people who can fix those problems, unlike the military, are more distant from the problems or more vulnerable to retaliation from the gangs.

The idea has merit. I could see some great individual LEOs resulting from helping serious immigrants who want to assimilate into the US. The downside risk, though, is too horrific to flirt with.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like we're all talking about legal immigrants from Mexico or Latin America. There are immigrants from other countries that would probably have less risk of being in gangs.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It’s irrelevant to have an opinion because if the person is a citizen blah blah blah they should be able to do it.

I just will try to be civil when I can’t understand what police are saying.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like we're all talking about legal immigrants from Mexico or Latin America. There are immigrants from other countries that would probably have less risk of being in gangs.
    Fact and an unpopular one. I’ll stand with you on it. Gotta be careful cause at any moment we could be called racist.

Reality is the cartel is a huge problem. Has been documented to have infiltrated local agencies. Read about the la county sheriff’s office in California.

I have also seen favoritism with our sheriff’s office. It’s troubling and should be talked about.

In security I have worked with a guy from Iraq. He gets a lot of jokes from the guys but I trust him with my six.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom