• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    IDK why, but Taco Bell was in my morning TV “news”. I first .lived in Corpus back in 1969, when I was a Physician Intern at Memorial Medical Center.

Back then, there were no full-time ED / EM Physicians, so we Interns ran the very busy urban Emergency Service. Early-on, the vernacular was strange and had to be learned.

One new “diagnosis” I was unfamiliar with was “Found at Taco Bell”. The Taco Bell out South Alameda parking lot had become the hub of illegal drug transactions for the entire area.

”Found at Taco Bell” was local code for a serious case of illegal drug overdose requiring ambulance transport and medical resuscitation.

This was one of our most common late evening emergencies back then. Not a joke, as some didn’t survive, and many were teens.

Later I found myself in Medical practice at 4330 South Alameda, which was in a professional building next-door to the infamous Taco Bell. I then began seeing serious drug problems in the smaller South-Side hospital ED’s, and even in my own practice.

The kindly Federal Probations Officer for the area, an elderly Attorney, began visiting regularly. I was astounded to learn that he was managing legal cases of over 400 Heroin addicts, not just “users”, but addicts in the local High Schools like Ray, Carroll, & King. And those were just the KNOWN teen addicts, who had been caught, sentenced, and were on some type of probation, but still using daily.

I have previously told here of my brief experiences as the interim manager of the local Federal “Methadone Clinic”.

Old times in C.C.

leVieux

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Heroin is still a thing here in South Texas..........

OD's are up along with usage.....

Cops are administering Narcan on damn near a daily basis..........

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Heroin is still a thing here in South Texas..........

OD's are up along with usage.....

Cops are administering Narcan on damn near a daily basis..........

It’s ubiquitous.

Multiple doses of narcan increasingly indicated.

The numbers are astounding.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What actually happened sometimes back around 1971 was that here was a prolonged drought in the MJ growing areas of Mexico and “grass” became scarce & expensive. The dealers offered Quaalude, which was not then yet controlled or a $5 envelope of heroin. Many rich kids just bought the heroin to snort, but soon wound-up injecting it and got addicted. In m experience, the government “Methadone Clinics” only prolonged the agony while giving politicians ability to say that they had “done something”.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Personally, I'd let them OD on the drugs, If they are that stupid to stick crap into themselves, knowing the dangers, then they are too stupid to be alive in the first place. Druggies are drain on society and the community. They are taking time and resources away from the doctors and hospitals that could be better utilized on people in real need of medical help. Then factor in that most are thieves, drug pushers themselves or prostitutes and just a crime wave waiting to happen.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You get the “Cynic of the Month” award.

But, several have suggested just killing all the addicts. . . . . . .
    No need to suggest killing them, just allow natural selection to take it's course and the druggies will kill themselves.

If they are stupid enough to put the crap in their bodies, why should others be concerned whether they live or die!

mrskip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2022
    texas
    You get the “Cynic of the Month” award.

But, several have suggested just killing all the addicts. . . . . . .
    leVieux, thank you for your service. Doctors, and nurses, get all my respect. I may have run into you at the Leopard St. clinic - I was a 'regular' there for a couple of years, b4 I cleaned up my act. Former US Army corpsman, got hooked, hated the life. Glad I wasn't 'into the scene' when fentanyl came around.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I worked for a company that had some ammonia pipelines. Meth cookers were doing all sorts of damage trying to steal the stuff. Like drilling into a high pressure pipeline! The company lobbied to get laws changed and made it a felony to mess with the pipelines, but by that time it was so rampant they couldn't make it stop. They gave up and put spigots ("Sample ports") at every valve section so that the locals could steal it safely.

Some people are hard wired to be addicts. It doesn't take much and they're in deep. A friend of mine has a daughter - beautiful girl and very bright - who spent years getting off drugs. When she had to have her tonsils out, they didn't give her any pain killers for fear that it would send her back down the dark path. She has a couple of sisters that wouldn't even look at drugs, let alone get hooked. She's been clean for like 5 years now and has a good job. Still tough on her because people her age go out to clubs, bars, parties, etc., and she doesn't dare to do that.

The big thing with fentanyl is that it's so extremely potent. It's being added to all sorts of other drugs to make it easy to get people hooked, but it's hard for someone with strong chemical knowledge and the right equipment to make sure the fentanyl is evenly mixed with the other drugs. Very few drug manufacturers or dealers have PhDs.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I worked for a company that had some ammonia pipelines. Meth cookers were doing all sorts of damage trying to steal the stuff. Like drilling into a high pressure pipeline! The company lobbied to get laws changed and made it a felony to mess with the pipelines, but by that time it was so rampant they couldn't make it stop. They gave up and put spigots ("Sample ports") at every valve section so that the locals could steal it safely.

Some people are hard wired to be addicts. It doesn't take much and they're in deep. A friend of mine has a daughter - beautiful girl and very bright - who spent years getting off drugs. When she had to have her tonsils out, they didn't give her any pain killers for fear that it would send her back down the dark path. She has a couple of sisters that wouldn't even look at drugs, let alone get hooked. She's been clean for like 5 years now and has a good job. Still tough on her because people her age go out to clubs, bars, parties, etc., and she doesn't dare to do that.

The big thing with fentanyl is that it's so extremely potent. It's being added to all sorts of other drugs to make it easy to get people hooked, but it's hard for someone with strong chemical knowledge and the right equipment to make sure the fentanyl is evenly mixed with the other drugs. Very few drug manufacturers or dealers have PhDs.

Exactly, no-one knows what is in any illegal drug.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    What actually happened sometimes back around 1971 was that here was a prolonged drought in the MJ growing areas of Mexico and “grass” became scarce & expensive. The dealers offered Quaalude, which was not then yet controlled or a $5 envelope of heroin. Many rich kids just bought the heroin to snort, but soon wound-up injecting it and got addicted. In m experience, the government “Methadone Clinics” only prolonged the agony while giving politicians ability to say that they had “done something”.
    By the mid-70's MJ wasn't scarce in small town north Texas - $10 an ounce or $120 a pound. Of course that was low quality skunk weed. Ludes were plentiful as I recall. By the early 80's they were spraying something on the plants to enhance the effect that would always seem to cause headaches afterwards. Several friends graduated to heroin and an ugly life that usually develops with major drugs.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Exactly, no-one knows what is in any illegal drug.

By the mid-70's MJ wasn't scarce in small town north Texas - $10 an ounce or $120 a pound. Of course that was low quality skunk weed. Ludes were plentiful as I recall. By the early 80's they were spraying something on the plants to enhance the effect that would always seem to cause headaches afterwards. Several friends graduated to heroin and an ugly life that usually develops with major drugs.
    In an attempt to irradicate, Paraquat herbicide was sprayed on Mexican marijuana fields, but growers would harvest for sale before the crop died, resulting in American kids smoking Paraquat. Headaches were just the immediate effect...

Top Bottom