Military Camp

1 or 2 or 3 point rifle slings; Who knew there were so many choices and opinions on what's best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    My first one (1960s) was a leather sling designed to carry one's rifle on their back sling over the shoulder or setup a fixed shooting position on the range. Not for carrying one's rifle in front of them for immediate use or keep one's hands free. What's your preference? If you don't have one these YouTube videos offer a variety of opinions. When in Vietnam we would use the nylon sling with the blanket roll strap/para cord to extend length of sling. It was attached to front sight and butt stock sling swivel. Crude but it left one's hands free.
    Texas SOT

Reactions: gll

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I like the single point sling for my regular AR. Allows me to navigate fences when I am hunting. But I use the two point sling for my heavy barrel AR. Its just too heavy for the single point, and I like having the gun already level in case a critter pops out. Its too heavy of a gun to swing around swiftly.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have used 1, 2, & 3 point slings over the years. About 3 years ago I switched almost all my rifles to a 2 point sling, either a "Rhodesian" or "Magpul RLS" so I can carry secure and also stabilize (with arm loop) when shooting without support. The "Rhodesian" is nice but the "Magpul RLS" is much cheaper and does pretty much everything the same.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I prefer a 2 point. I recently got a Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling that you can suck up tight to your body if you gotta move, then you can drop it real quick with a slide strap, to shooting position.
    I believe I have that one also on my hunting gun.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Have 2 and 1 point. 2 point maintains muzzle control, and allowed the rifle to pulled up tight so it doesn't flop around, but it can snag on gear sometimes.

1-point is what is on my AR pistol as I feel it give me a bit more flexibility with moving around with the loss of hands off control.

I have always heard 3 point slinds have all the failing of 1 and 2 point slings, with none of the benefits of either.

I'd say get a Magpul/Vtac/BFG 2-point. They are the way to go for 90% of folks. Youll know if you need a 1-point afterwards, but running a 2-point loose will give you most of the flexibility of a 1-point.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    This:

Single point slings remind me of this:

I never could understand why you'd wear a rifle like a necklace.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I have or have had all 3. I liked the single point bungee sling that came with my MPX it worked out nice for that gun, but I’d think it would suck for a full size rifle.

the 3 point I have is an HK MP5 sling. It worked out pretty well. I used it as my hunting gun sling for several years, on a heavy, AR, with a big thermal and suppressed. It allowed me to carry the gun almost horizontal across my chest, and left my hands free for other gear. Great for hunting alone, but if I’m a group, you’ll sweep them.

The Vickers sling that EZE mentioned above is what I’m using now, and realistically the best of any of them. You can cinch it tight to your chest with one hand, and loosen it in a similar fashion, and it carries in a more muzzle down position.

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    This guy seems pretty squared away. He runs through the pros and cons of each sling setup at 17:50. The whole video has great info on rifle set up. Salty language

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Not a fan of hitting myself in the nuts when transitioning with a single-point.

But they have their uses on smaller rifles/pistols IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom