Venture Surplus ad

1 Yr. Anniversary Meet - April 5th - Houston, TX (Vid on page 12)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Wife and I will try to make a short visit today. I'll be bringing the HD Camcorder for some video recording like last year. Will also bring the HK94 just in case. ;-)

HKManiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    Had to leave early, but BIG thanks to Talon Arms for letting me shoot there full auto suppressed MP5, that thing was freaking awesome. Also whoever let me shoot there 10mm glock, that thing was loud lol.

Got to try out the gemtech multimount 9mm which was incredible, definetly going to get me one now! Thanks Chris, Robert, and i think it was Mike? lol sorry cant remember.

Also, robert did my raffle tickets win anything? LOL

Thanks again! had a blast!

-Robert

txpolecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Had a pretty fun time! Some older gentelman won the SIG, but it was all good.

Broke my full-auto cherry on that MP5 too! Worth it!

Most painful moment of the day? Getting a .45ACP hot brass shot into my sandal. Hot Foot!

genieinthelamp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had a ton of fun! Was great meeting and shooting with all y'all. Especially thankful for all the sharing and very appreciative of the wide variety of full auto firearms to try out.

I'm still feeling the pain of being 1 number off in the drawing for the Sig 250. But like someone else said, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades..

Anyone who wasn't there totally missed out. What a great event!!

I took a lot of HD video and will try to post up a nice collection. Any requests for background music? :)

-- Brian

PPPS -- What a haul for the 1st cavalry! Hope they like beef jerky!

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I too enjoyed the day. I spent most of it in the Sig class.
    Gotta love the shock knife....
    It was a great time and a good turn out, caught a little heck from the wife when I got home because of the tall blonde shooting the MP5, but it was great to meet a good bunch of like minded individuals.... Great time Jeff, Steve and Knock-knock!

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Apr 5 Shiloh Range day

I only had a few hours there, but in that short time I Met Allen (sp?) our site owner and several other people. The SIG rep was kind enough to let me demo his P220 and P220 compact in .45. This was my first experience with a .45 and compared to the family 9mm, feels MUCH more authoritative.

I put 50 rounds through my Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm and split 50 between the P220 and P220 compact.

At the moment, the P220Compact and HK45 are in the running for what I want in a carry pistol.

The results: (see blue text for details) I made 3 more targets on the centerline with an "X" in pen to save targets.
    CIMG1706marked.jpg

I'm Right Handed and it seems that my shots are generally lining up on a bottom left to top right line. This is my second range trip (of many to come) in some time. I have a hunch my technque is well....not perfect.

Omar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Damn it! I couldn't make it; had to pick up my father at the airport then help him with the land..... This is a bummer.......

Any pictures or videos?

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Was good to see some familiar faces again and meeting new ones. The wife and I came a little later in the day, but a BIG THANKS goes out to Chris for taking the time to let us have a go on the MP5. Wife was extremely happy and was pretty funny watching her trying to shoot full auto in heels. It's all good, at least she held her own. :-D

Thanks again to Talon Arms, Shiloh, TGT, and all that made it happen!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm Right Handed and it seems that my shots are generally lining up on a bottom left to top right line. This is my second range trip (of many to come) in some time. I have a hunch my technque is well....not perfect.

Reading your target it looks like you are making the gun go off. Try to focus on a straight reward trigger pull and in a steady fashion. If you yank the trigger you will generally tense your right hand and cause the gun to pull left.

Thanks for coming out.

txpolecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    A big YES it was a very good day since I was the one that won the SIG p250.
    I also had a great time meeting a lot of folks today .

Hey! Good to see the freeB went to a forum-ite, congratulations again!

So... you got any fun stuff to put on that there threaded barrel?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Man I had alot of fun. Me, Sig_Fiend, and Kevin all took a ride out to Shiloh for the big shindig and it was well worth the mileage. For those of you that missed it, you again missed out on ALOT of fun, good food, and good people.

12.jpg

The parking lot at Shiloh was pretty busy. We had AWESOME weather most of the day which made hanging out outdoors whilst chowing down on some tacos pretty enjoyable. We had chicken and beef tacos, and my favorite... flautas.

1.jpg

Indoors was busy all day. We had several hundred people roll through, many brought boat loads of stuff for the 1st Cav guys.

3.jpg

Sig Sauer Academy was on hand with pistol training. Seen here students are working on close retention engagement on some evil cardboard BGs. This was an 8 hour long class that taught alot of self-defense skills especially in regards to concealed carry. Everyone was really pleased with the class and the instructors were working up a sweat; they were getting really involved in it.

4.jpg

FAST brought out their interactive training system. There was a myriad of choices available ranging from hunting with long guns on deer, game birds, skeet, hostage situations, plate drills, marksmanship drills, and many other fun games. You could compete head to head with other shooters and it really made for some fun. If I had one of these machines in my house, I'd never leave it.

Here's a YouTube video of me murdering hostages, and losing to DarkRook.

YouTube - Texas Gun Talk Event - Active Training

5.jpg

The gals from Hoffner Holsters were on hand to show off the wares. They had Kydex external holsters, positive retention paddle holsters, smooth leather inside-the-waistband holsters, handcuff and magazine belt attachments, and just about any other retention device you could ever want. It was nice to be able to check out their products, and being a Texas company I'm looking forward to snagging something from them in the future.

6.jpg

Sig Sauer was on hand with a slew of their pistols. They had nearly all of the line ranging from the concealable to the artisan. They showcased alot of their available features such as the SRT (Short Reset Trigger), Fiber-Optic Sights, SAS (Frame Melt Treatment), etc. I tried out a P226 S which is one of their ultra high end X-series guns. This thing is a work of art, everything is seamless and feels extremely good in the hand. The wood grips are virtually hand crafted to the gun and blend perfectly into the heavy match frame which is finished off with an extended mag well. The best thing about this gun is the trigger, it is approx. 3 - 3.5# in pull weight with no creep, and if that's not good enough, it's fully adjustable. The reset on most standard Sigs leaves something to be desired, but this model is exceptional in trigger feel and control. I was able to empty the 19 round magazine with surprising efficiency. It was a BIG pleasure to shoot this gun, and really gave me more faith in the Sig Sauer line of pistols.

I also tried out the Sig Sauer 556 pistol, which is a pistol length gas piston rifle (without a stock, begging for SBR paperwork). It ran flawlessly even relatively dry, and the action was very soft.

Big thanks to Sig for bringing out their toys.

7.jpg

Speaking of Sigs, Shiloh had on hand about $30,000 worth of Sigs for purchase. You name it, they pretty much got it, including a steady supply of the Sig 556 battle rifles.

9.jpg

8.jpg

The guys from TX Tactical Source were there to show me all the toys I need to have. It was nice to be able to check out something besides the common Surefire. After looking at the Fenix flashlights I think I'm going to be in the market for one here in the next month or so. Sig_Fiend bought one of the smaller models, and he's pretty well pleased with it. So pleased, I'm convinced that I'm no epileptic after being the test dummy for the strobe feature. If you are looking for a new knife or a good carry flashlight, or one for the home, you'd do yourself a big favor by dropping by to check out their stuff. They also had alot of Maxpedition gear on hand, which is damn nice I must add.

Kevin, a friend that decided to tag along to the event with me and Sig_Fiend, actually won the first door prize, which was a sweet flashlight from TX Tactical Source. The lucky dog got his raffle ticket before me and won! Victory was swipped from beneath me... see what happens when you are nice to your friends? Haha.

10.jpg

These cats are the brains and beauty behind DoubleActionCHL. They were on hand manning the Second Amendment Sisters booth, and promoting their Women-Only CHL program. If you are in the market for a CHL in the Houston area, you can't go wrong with Double Action. They are good people, and it was awesome to finally meet them in person. The past two events they've been tied up with CHL classes so they got to sneak out for the event today. Good to meet you guys!

Also, everyone take the time to support a very good cause, Mason's March: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-shiloh-shooting-range/5637-masons-march.html

11.jpg

Some transients came in with some evil black rifles to sell. They even brought some of those fancy repeating guns for a lovely sub-gun and suppressor demo. Always a highlight of the evening when the Talon Arms guys bring some toys for everyone to play with. I was impressed by the Daniel's Defense AR15 they had on hand... it was by far one of the most effective layouts I've held. I was particularly impressed by the balance and controlability. It was also nice to put eyes on the Adam's piston conversion kit components.

Huge thanks to the Talon guys for bringing out the toys, yet again. If you need any Class 3 items, or just AR15 parts and accessories, hit up Robert at Talon. Be forwarned, they are very busy dudes, so be persistant... it's worthwhile.

2.jpg

Last, but not least... the winner of a brand new Sig 250 Tactical... our very own 308Nato (Dennis). I cannot think of a more deserving guy. Him and his daughter are always out at the events to lend a hand.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Pics and vids are forthcoming within the next few days or so.

Congratulations to Dennis (308Nato)! That lucky guy won a brand new Sig P250 digital camo, threaded barrel package! Definitely a nice prize.

Overall it was a great event. As always, big thanks goes out to all the guys at Shiloh including Ngoc and Jeff which helped us immensely in organizing such a great event. We couldn't do it without you guys.

BIG thanks to the guys at Talon Arms as well. Chris, Rob, Matt (was it Matt? Sorry I'm horrible with names lol), it is always a pleasure having you all out and letting us drool over all your sweet toys and products! You are all true stalwarts of the business.

Another huge thanks goes out to Fernando and the rest of the guys (sorry, I'm sooooo horrible with names and probably forget my own on occasion too lol) at TX Tactical Source! They donated some sweet prizes for the raffle which everyone really appreciated, and they have a bunch of cool products that are tough to find elsewhere. We are glad to have you guys on board. And even though I said it a million times at the event, you guys found me the "perfect" pocket flashlight when I thought it would be impossible to find a "perfect" one. I love my Fenix PD20! ;) For all your gear and, yes even your flashlight needs ;) lol, look no further than the great guys at TX Tactical Source. Okay, I'll stop with the flashlight talk now Fernando. ;) lol

Thanks to Christina and her friend, of Hoffner's Holsters, for gracing us with their presence. It was nice to chat with you ladies, and nice to finally see some of the Hoffner's products in person. I'm definitely going to have to buy some stuff from you guys, and definitely need to take some training courses through you all. :)

Unfortunately Dale Hunnicut of Gripreductions.com was unable to make it due to an injury. We're sorry we missed you at the event Dale. We hope you'll have a speedy recovery, and hopefully next time you might be able to make it. I talked to a bunch of new people at the event, and it sounds like many of them are just itching to try out some entry level IDPA style shooting. I know I sure am after the first time last year. :)

Huge thanks to the people at Sig Sauer that made it out! There were a TON of sweet Sigs on hand for people to check out and try out on the range. I, myself, got to put a few rounds through a X5 Competition and was thoroughly impressed. The trigger was absolutely unreal, and the gun was overall the perfection that many of us aspire to obtaining one day. ;) We can't thank the folks at Sig enough. It was incredibly nice of them to allow everyone to try out all of their stuff. I've been a Sig enthusiast for awhile, and after this it has only solidified my pride in the manufacturer. Keep up the great work guys. Oh yeah, and if you happen to have a P210 Heavy Frame 6" Longslide (P210-6SL) hanging around in the warehouse somewhere, I will gladly accept it as a "gift" in return for my compliments! ;) lol j/k

I'd also like to say thanks to Mr. David Hagstrom of Full Armor Simulator Training for bringing out his simulator and allowing folks to test it out so much. I could have played around with that thing for hundreds if not thousands of countless hours. ;) While it could make for a fun "game" with the wide variety of shooting modes available, at the same time I could see the very real training opportunities available with this system. It certainly isn't "just a videogame" like some people may think. Amazingly, even within the first couple of minutes I noticed that it was causing me to push myself and start moving the pistol around, transitioning from target to target, faster than I normally would have. I can see this being an incredibly useful tool that can actually be of significant benefit in training much more so than typical dry firing. We appreciate you coming out sir.

Last but not least, big thanks to the folks (Kymberly) from the Second Amendment Sisters for coming out. I love seeing pro-self defense organizations like this that cater specifically to women. It seems these days that our society tends to socially "engineer" women to believe it is somehow a bad thing to stand up for themselves and defend themselves, which is a sad reality. It is great to see strong women in groups like this that stand up against such nonsense, and really strive to empower women (which our society could use more of). Keep up the great work ladies.

shilohshooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    What an amazing day

First off, congrats to .308nato. I couldn't have possibly dreamed of a better guy to win the p250 (sorry Tx1911 and HK, err, Sig-Fiend, but look at the bright side, ya'll did walk away with the coveted pistol bayonette!). Karma for brewing all that "Grounds and Rounds" coffee for the last year and a half finally paid off! It was really great to meet all of you guys and gals, some for the first time and others for the first time since last time! Everyone seemed to have a great time and just goes to prove, we need to do this more often, as TGT turnout seems to grow every show. The Sig's were flawless as usual and the food (Thanks for getting La Tapatia involved Txtacticalsource! And .308, it ain't no party without your beans!) was great. Door prizes were awesome, anything from Aero's tix, to tac light/laser combo's, to brand new pistols. Talon Arms generosity and awesome gear are always appreciated. Man, those guys are the coolest guys at the party, thank you for your patronage at our events Rob and Chris. Htxred, thank you and your lovely bride for the hard work and dedication. We are truly blessed to have you two and the boys from txtacticalsource in our gun-toting family. Thanks also go out to all of those that passed on the G.R. Brown and shopped with us. I hope your experience made you happier than any other gun buy! Don't forget to come back and shoot your gun for free! ( Just bring your receipt back for your free lane! )Outlaw Dave, Walton & Johnson, Joe Pags, and the rest of the gun friendly Clear Channel friends, thank you for all of the support and generosity. Not to mention for providing us with non-left news and honest opinions! Doubleaction, your hard work,generosity and friendship are definitely noticed and appreciated. We look forward to our future working closer with you and Kymberly. And last but certainly not least, thank you to everybody that brought Jerky and toiletries for our boys in the 1st Cavalry. Most everybody came in today, a few came a day early, some dropped off and didn't come inside. When all was said and done, there was more jerky than I could have imagined. To see how many wonderful people care enough about our soldiers to take time out, buy jerky with their hard earned $, then drive out to Shiloh to drop off gift packs just reaffirmed my belief that shooters are the best people in the world. I cannot wait to post up pics tomorrow after we complete the drive by using the door proceeds to buy Costco out of jerky! Htx, let me know if you want to roll out with me and Tracy to pick it up, it ought to be a good time! THANK YOU TGT!!! ( If I left you out, I apologize, it's 1 a.m. and I celebrated tonight with a giant margarita.)
    :patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    First off, congrats to .308nato. I couldn't have possibly dreamed of a better guy to win the p250 (sorry Tx1911 and HK, err, Sig-Fiend, but look at the bright side, ya'll did walk away with the coveted pistol bayonette!). Karma for brewing all that "Grounds and Rounds" coffee for the last year and a half finally paid off! It was really great to meet all of you guys and gals, some for the first time and others for the first time since last time! Everyone seemed to have a great time and just goes to prove, we need to do this more often, as TGT turnout seems to grow every show. The Sig's were flawless as usual and the food (Thanks for getting La Tapatia involved Txtacticalsource! And .308, it ain't no party without your beans!) was great. Door prizes were awesome, anything from Aero's tix, to tac light/laser combo's, to brand new pistols. Talon Arms generosity and awesome gear are always appreciated. Man, those guys are the coolest guys at the party, thank you for your patronage at our events Rob and Chris. Htxred, thank you and your lovely bride for the hard work and dedication. We are truly blessed to have you two and the boys from txtacticalsource in our gun-toting family. Thanks also go out to all of those that passed on the G.R. Brown and shopped with us. I hope your experience made you happier than any other gun buy! Don't forget to come back and shoot your gun for free! ( Just bring your receipt back for your free lane! )Outlaw Dave, Walton & Johnson, Joe Pags, and the rest of the gun friendly Clear Channel friends, thank you for all of the support and generosity. Not to mention for providing us with non-left news and honest opinions! Doubleaction, your hard work,generosity and friendship are definitely noticed and appreciated. We look forward to our future working closer with you and Kymberly. And last but certainly not least, thank you to everybody that brought Jerky and toiletries for our boys in the 1st Cavalry. Most everybody came in today, a few came a day early, some dropped off and didn't come inside. When all was said and done, there was more jerky than I could have imagined. To see how many wonderful people care enough about our soldiers to take time out, buy jerky with their hard earned $, then drive out to Shiloh to drop off gift packs just reaffirmed my belief that shooters are the best people in the world. I cannot wait to post up pics tomorrow after we complete the drive by using the door proceeds to buy Costco out of jerky! Htx, let me know if you want to roll out with me and Tracy to pick it up, it ought to be a good time! THANK YOU TGT!!! ( If I left you out, I apologize, it's 1 a.m. and I celebrated tonight with a giant margarita.)

I cannot say enough about you guys working your asses off to take care of the event Jeff. You guys have earned everything under the sun, and I'm very very happy to have you guys on board.

DarkRook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area

darkrook-albums-4-sale-stuff-picture371-sigs-south-park-002.gif

Hey Everyone.
    I am very bad at remembering names, so I won’t go there.
    In short; I had a blast load of fun.

I want to thank everyone who helped put this thing together. I’m also glad it was for a great cause, Supporting Our Troops. We own it to them, God Bless them All.:patriot:

Hey Allen, & Jeff;
    Any thoughts to having a meet and greet with them once they return home in their Honor as a Welcome Back & Thank You? Just something to think about.

I even got my 1911 adjusted with the help of Knock, can’t 4get that name. LOL. Thank you so very much Knock, you’re a good guy.

Allen, to be fair you kicked my butt a few times too, but that was great fun. I got there about 1330 and left about 1830 or so. :cool:

First think throw the door, I bought the one and only 1911 double mag holders Hoffner's Holsters brought to the meet. I had been looking for one and this one is perfect. They did not have any holsters with them for 1911’s. Good thing for me cuz if they are as nice as the mag holder, I would have had to have one of them too.
    I recommend anyone looking for a CHL rig to check their stuff out before they buy.

I missed the guy who had the auto MP5. I got to playen that shooting game with Allen and then it was 2 1/2 hours latter. Time fly’s when you’re having fun. I’ll look forward to the MP5 next time. :(

I don’t remember the Sig Guy’s name. He was very cool and knowledgeable and he worked hard keeping up with everyone.
    For the 1911 fans here is a down and dirty review of the Sig Sauer 1911 Platinum Elite.
    It was very appealing and an eye catcher. It felt very good to shoot, has about 4,1/2” barrel n slide which would make it a good carry, I think. It has a short guide rod, which would be something I would change. I like the full length. It weights about the same as my full size SF1911 Black Stainless Loaded Combat, but I feel that helps some with the recoil to reacquire target quickly. Now I am guessing, but I think it had about a 4 to 5 lbs trigger pull. The Sig Guy, told me it was all stock from the factory this way. The cost is up around the $1200 range.

Request to anyone who has a 10mm. I would like to shoot one. I have a few different types of guns that I could let you shoot as well as a trade off.
    PM me if anyone is interested in doing this.

I hope everyone made it home safe and secure. Now it’s back to home repairs for me until “?” Who knows when?

Thanks again everyone.
    Bull / aka: Dark Rook

Top Bottom