• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The older 10/22's were very accurate. I had one back in the 80's and it ran like a boss and could hit dimes at 50 yrds. My brother has a newer one, maybe 10 yrs old, and it's not very accurate. Like a 2 inch spread at 50 yrds.

With un-adjusted factory Irons, mine was some 8 or 9 inches high & left at 75'. That is unacceptable from any manufacturer.

leVieux
    Lynx Defense

Dimonback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Austin
    Might be thinking of me. Try what @BigTexasOne was saying. Sometimes it comes down to just adjusting the torque until it gets it right. Oh, and pictures. View attachment 251453 only thing left by Ruger is the receiver and magazine. Shoots like this on an average day @50 yards ( 5 shot groups) View attachment 251454
    I used to build my whistle pig guns in Boise just like that- Fajen stock, Volq trigger, Green Mountain .920 barrel. If I could find them in my scope, the bullet would find them too. Wish I still had them- or even just pictures!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've seen big variations in quality in 22 LR ammo, especially since the ammo shortage of the Obummer years. And, of course, some rifles seem to be picky about ammo. I had an old Remington that would shoot heavy bullets just fine, but scatter light bullets like a shotgun.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Get a new barrel, then make sure EVERYTHING is torqued down. Might also want to play around with barrel shims

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The older 10/22's were very accurate. I had one back in the 80's and it ran like a boss and could hit dimes at 50 yrds. My brother has a newer one, maybe 10 yrs old, and it's not very accurate. Like a 2 inch spread at 50 yrds.
    My 10/22 was purchased in the 70s for under $50. The newer ones don't seem to be the same quality at many times the price. I replaced the sights and stock over the years and it still shoots well if I do my part.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a common occurrence with the take down model.

Take it to the range, set it on bags or a shooting rest, and as carefully as possible, fire five rounds. Take it apart, put it back together and try again, does it shoot to point of aim. if not change the tension on the locking lug a little and do the same thing again. I literally did this about 10 times before it started staying set! I was amazed how much a single click of tension would change the POI.

I finally got it right, and at 50 yards, I can put all ten rounds within a 2" circle, every time, every day.

Just keep tinkering, that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, no matter how stupid it is!

Actually, this sounds like the best advice I've seen yet. Thank you !

leVieux

Top Bottom