• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    My suppressor should be coming in soon and it's time to start playing with the 10/22. I'm wanting a .920 bbl for it, but unsure about length. I can get a 16" or 20" for the same price. Is there any benefit to going longer than the standard 16"? I've heard that the 20" barrel causes a drop in little velocity, but does anyone know approximately how much? This could be beneficial if it would allow me to run standard velocity ammo and keep the crack to a minimum. I also want my son to learn how to shoot on this, and the lighter, the better. Anyone have any recommendations?
    Target Sports

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    and the lighter, the better.

If you choose a 20 inch .920 barrel I think you can forget about it that.

The 16 inch barrel will be able to perform at a level your son will take years to achieve. First try to get as good as the gun, then move on. Most will never do this. I don't think the longer barrel will take regular ammo and make it subsonic. The crack of a .22 is really not that bad. However if you really must, buy subsonic ammo, it's easy to find, functions reliably, and is fairly accurate.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I found a used replacement threaded barrel for $40 or so. Is cost a factor? I just picked it up because it was cheap.

On a side note, my 10/22 never failed to feed/ fire until I put my suppressor on it. It gets pretty dirty quick. Now, my suppressor is for 223 so maybe that played a factor? It does make it super quiet though.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    There should theoretically be no difference in accuracy and a big difference in weight. The velocity will depend more on what rounds you fire. If you are running iron sights, the 20 gives a longer sight radius which can make you more accurate. If you are using red dot, scope, etc. then go with the 16 and save some weight.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The 16" barrel should be more accurate in a 10/22 due to the lack of sufficient barrel engagement and receiver fit. Especially when you're talking about hanging a can off the end of it.

The 20" barrel is noticeably quieter than a 16"; the gasses stop expanding after about 12" of barrel and the bullet actually starts to slow down beyond that. My 10/22 runs a 20" barrel and my Savage TRR has a 22" barrel and neither will slow down standard ammo enough to be sub-sonic, you still get plenty of crack.

If you want an ultra quiet 10/22 ... opt for the 20" barrel, suppress it, install a bolt-stop (aka bolt-lock), and a polyurethane bolt buffer. Because it's blow back, you get alot of noise out the action.

TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Thanks for the info. I already have the stop and buffer. I want to go as quiet as possible, the neighbors don't care much for shooting around here. I want to teach my son how to shoot on it and he's only 4, so weight is definitely a concern. Now if only Ms. Jones at the ATF would get my ppwk completed. I've been pending since July 12. :banghead:

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the info. I already have the stop and buffer. I want to go as quiet as possible, the neighbors don't care much for shooting around here. I want to teach my son how to shoot on it and he's only 4, so weight is definitely a concern. Now if only Ms. Jones at the ATF would get my ppwk completed. I've been pending since July 12. :banghead:

She's pretty fast, but she's also dealing with the entire paperwork load from Texas and Louisiana. Probably a matter of days.

TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I hope so, definitely a strung out process. I'm suprised that they don't have 2 examiners for this reigon. I would think it's probably one of the most active. She definitely has her work cut out for her.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I hope so, definitely a strung out process. I'm suprised that they don't have 2 examiners for this reigon. I would think it's probably one of the most active. She definitely has her work cut out for her.

Texas is leading the union in form submissions, which is why we probably got her since she's pretty productive and timely.

The NFA more than pays for it's branch, but the Government is stupid, they won't invest in new jobs where they count.

Top Bottom