• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clathrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Fischer
    I have a 10/22 Takedown that's a ton of fun to shoot but it's no secret the stock sights are abysmal. Even with my relatively young eyes, the brass bead is nearly impossible to see in other than bright light.

I've been considering either putting a set of aftermarket sights on and continuing to shoot with sights or putting some sort of optic on there. All of my shooting with it right now is plinking at ~20 yards at the range though I plan to occasionally take it out to a friend's farm for plinking and bullseye shoot at less than 100 yards.

I don't have a ton of experience with rifles and know very little about optics in general beyond the basics of what a red dot, holographic and scope are. :)

What I am looking for are some recommendations for a somewhat inexpensive optic including mounting options for shorter range shooting.

Thank you in advance for your patience with the noob.

For quick target acquisition a red dot of some sort. For bullseye a rifle scope.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    If you buy a WM 22 scope you won't be happy. Buy a good brand rifle scope. I have a Vortex 2-7 variable on one of my 22's and it's perfect for out to 100 yds. I haven't stretched it out to see what it can do. As far as that goes I don't think I have 10 rounds thru that one. My grandson now has probably 500+ since I got it. Sigh..

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    C5BC228F-76F0-4FED-86EC-B8EAD3CC4455.jpeg
    Aimpoint is the answer you seek.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I picked up a Vortex Sparc II red dot from Academy during their non-stop sale that nearly destroyed my wallet. That's riding on the takedown now although I haven't had the chance to go to the range since.

If I get an Aimpoint, it's going on my AR.

I'm glad to see this thread still has legs. It's been a good start in learning about different optics choices.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Not many people like the thought of spending $700 for an optic to put on a $300 rifle.
    You get what you put into it.

I have a $1,000 Vortex on another 10/22 that I built from the ground up. Probably around 2k in that gun with the glass.

It shoots one hole groups at 50yards

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

I have a $1,000 Vortex on another 10/22 that I built from the ground up. Probably around 2k in that gun with the glass.

Then that would be a $1,000 optic on a $1,000 rifle.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

Its the old 100 @ $1 or 1 @ $100.

About the only thing I shoot regular is water mocs. Now killin water mocs in the water is NOT easy, takes a head shot to get the KIA and body shots in the water rarely will give you a WIA as when the .22 hit water from acute angle the .22 takes a turn. Over the years I have got very few body shots, but head shots a different story and when that head us up out of the water its not large, it about the size of your thumb.

Far as I am concerned any <$50 fixed scope if it lasts 1 year then I still have 19 years to go before I have bought that Vortex and there is NOTHING wrong with Vortex, just not on some gun I am dragging thru the woods and water, dropping as I slide down embankments, dropping in the water when I slip and fall or looking down and seeing the moc I have been following going between my legs...

NOT questioning your choice of scopes or cost!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Then that would be a $1,000 optic on a $1,000 rifle.
    Again, you get back what you put in.

Can you get a $25 NCStar, sure. Will it hold point of aim? Have not seen one yet that has.

Since I beat the everloving snot out of the guns I actually use ( still averaging 25,000 + rounds a year) I only want to buy an optic for a gun once. That gun pictured has about 30,000 through it and I have not had to adjust the dot.

Posted a thread a while ago about a 10/22 I wore the barrel out of. Over 300,000 rounds.

The price only hurts once, and it is short lived pain compared to years and years of gear that does not drift after a few mags.

I screwed up a couple of years ago when I was working in Saudi and left the damn thing on when I put it in the safe before going out on my 28 day hitch.

Came home and when I took it out a day or so later and realized what I did, I turned it off and ordered a new battery.

That battery is still in a dresser drawer waiting for the one in the sight to die.;)

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Its the old 100 @ $1 or 1 @ $100.

About the only thing I shoot regular is water mocs. Now killin water mocs in the water is NOT easy, takes a head shot to get the KIA and body shots in the water rarely will give you a WIA as when the .22 hit water from acute angle the .22 takes a turn. Over the years I have got very few body shots, but head shots a different story and when that head us up out of the water its not large, it about the size of your thumb.

Far as I am concerned any <$50 fixed scope if it lasts 1 year then I still have 19 years to go before I have bought that Vortex and there is NOTHING wrong with Vortex, just not on some gun I am dragging thru the woods and water, dropping as I slide down embankments, dropping in the water when I slip and fall or looking down and seeing the moc I have been following going between my legs...

NOT questioning your choice of scopes or cost!

And you're spending $50/yr. The Vortex warranty is lifetime and cover defects or DAMAGE. They don't care what happened or who bought it or who owns it. I kinda like it.

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    The UTG Bugbuster is on sale at Walmart.com of all places right now for $75 with free 2 day shipping. Talk about instant gratification :) It's $80 at Optics Planet if you would rather shop there.

Top Bottom