• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston TX, USA
    just got a old surface rusted 10/22. my dad gave me his old truck gun and i want to get the rust off of it. it shoots like new. what is best stuff to use to get rust off barrel. thanks
    Guns International

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I usually use a lot of hoppes oil and then use a razorblade to get the rust specks off.It works pretty good for me.Just don't press to hard and keep oiling after each pass of the blade.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    If anyone still sells it at gunshows see if you can find a bottle of RB-17. Best stuff I've ever seen for removing rust from almost anything. Put the gel on the rust spot, wait a minute or two and go over it with some 000 steel wool. Rust comes off and if your careful will not hurt the blueing too much.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston TX, USA
    whats a good reblueing stuff to use, i just want it looking nice, as it is going to be a shooter, not a safe queen. dont want to spend alot on the "blueing" , just want it to looks nice.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Gopher,
    Is that RB-17 the stuff they used to demonstrate at gun shows? Haven't seen any of that in several years. Anyone know a source for it?

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I found that the Ammo Dump in Houston still has a good supply of RB-17 on Hand. I just bought a new bottle yesterday.

Thanks, I'll have to check them out. A brother-in-law has a gun that is BADLY rusted from years of neglect while being stored in a fleece lined rifle case. Might be interesting to see what it would do although I think the rifle barrel is totally trashed.

Top Bottom