• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    I recently mounted a scope on an old 10/22. I sighted it in at 25 yards. After I was done i decided to see what it would do at 100 yards. It was not the most accurate thing in the world but I quite enjoyed it and thought it would be some good practice for my son to shoot at longer distances with a rifle with such low recoil. Does have any experience with an accurate .22 out to 100 yards. I was thinking of getting one of those ruger precision rimfire rifles but am open to other options, especially cheaper ones. oh and i don't car about shooting the smallest group ever. I just want something to make a reasonable group at 100 yards for some cheap trigger time at a target past 50 yards.
    Gun Zone Deals

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Honestly AR-15 Although not Rimfire .223 is cheap and will easily manage 100yards

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Honestly AR-15 Although not Rimfire .223 is cheap and will easily manage 100yards

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Honestly I thought of that and am planning on doing something like that but the 223 is still a little rough for my 8 year old. And I would like a longer range 22 just because i think it would be fun. maybe a 22mag would be better for what I want.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I bought one of these for my 9 yr old GS to shoot. He loves it, actually prefers it over a 10/22. I put a 2-7 Vortex scope on it and with the short high stock it fits him perfectly. Here's a picture of him trying it on for size. Disregard the pirate paint on his face, a school carnival. At 100 yds he will wear out a bullseye target, usually 6" groups.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/overview.html

Attachments

• IMG_1503 (Medium).JPG
      IMG_1503 (Medium).JPG
      97.3 KB · Views: 419

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I regularly shoot at 100 meters (~110 yards) for smallbore silhouette. My first rifle was a 10/22, followed by a CZ 452, and now I'm using an Anschutz 1710.

The 10/22 took quite a few modifications to get to ~1.5 MOA at 100 yards.
    The 452 was about 1.5 MOA with mid-grade ammo, close to 1 MOA with higher-end ammo.
    The 1710 shoots ~3/4 MOA with the same mid-grade ammo, 1/2 MOA with higher end ammo.

A CZ, Ruger, or Savage bolt-action rifle should keep you in the 1-2 MOA range with mid-grade ammo and cost in the $250-400 range. Matching the favored brand/type ammo to the rifle is important to getting the most out of your gear without having to buy more expensive gear.

I highly recommend going with a bolt action over a semi-auto, especially for kids, since they usually have better accuracy right out of the box and the slower pacing of a "make every shot count" mentality rather than the "spray and pray" that can all-to-easily come with a semi-auto.

Lastly, if you're looking to up the game from 22LR but not jump all the way to a centerfire cartridge you should look at 17HMR. Shooting 17HMR at 200 yards is about the same as 22LR at 100 yards where bullet-drop and wind reading really come into play. Shooting 17HMR at 100 yards is like 22LR at 50 yards (roughly).

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    I bought one of these for my 9 yr old GS to shoot. He loves it, actually prefers it over a 10/22. I put a 2-7 Vortex scope on it and with the short high stock it fits him perfectly. Here's a picture of him trying it on for size. Disregard the pirate paint on his face, a school carnival. At 100 yds he will wear out a bullseye target, usually 6" groups.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/overview.html

I actually like that idea. My mother has one with a red dot and i like the way it shoots.

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    I regularly shoot at 100 meters (~110 yards) for smallbore silhouette. My first rifle was a 10/22, followed by a CZ 452, and now I'm using an Anschutz 1710.

The 10/22 took quite a few modifications to get to ~1.5 MOA at 100 yards.
    The 452 was about 1.5 MOA with mid-grade ammo, close to 1 MOA with higher-end ammo.
    The 1710 shoots ~3/4 MOA with the same mid-grade ammo, 1/2 MOA with higher end ammo.

A CZ, Ruger, or Savage bolt-action rifle should keep you in the 1-2 MOA range with mid-grade ammo and cost in the $250-400 range. Matching the favored brand/type ammo to the rifle is important to getting the most out of your gear without having to buy more expensive gear.

I highly recommend going with a bolt action over a semi-auto, especially for kids, since they usually have better accuracy right out of the box and the slower pacing of a "make every shot count" mentality rather than the "spray and pray" that can all-to-easily come with a semi-auto.

Lastly, if you're looking to up the game from 22LR but not jump all the way to a centerfire cartridge you should look at 17HMR. Shooting 17HMR at 200 yards is about the same as 22LR at 100 yards where bullet-drop and wind reading really come into play. Shooting 17HMR at 100 yards is like 22LR at 50 yards (roughly).

Thanks. that is a lot of info and may take me a while to process. I have not thought about a 17HMR

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I recently mounted a scope on an old 10/22. I sighted it in at 25 yards. After I was done i decided to see what it would do at 100 yards. It was not the most accurate thing in the world but I quite enjoyed it and thought it would be some good practice for my son to shoot at longer distances with a rifle with such low recoil. Does have any experience with an accurate .22 out to 100 yards. I was thinking of getting one of those ruger precision rimfire rifles but am open to other options, especially cheaper ones. oh and i don't car about shooting the smallest group ever. I just want something to make a reasonable group at 100 yards for some cheap trigger time at a target past 50 yards.
    You started right. Just keep after it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Now that I have joined a range where I can shoot 100 yards accurately all my .22s will be sighted in at 100 yards.
    Most any bolt action will work, but I have to give the nod go Savage as well. Accurate, fairly cheap and he will be shooting it forever. The downside is, unless you get one with no open sights you will have to by bases separately and they come one to a package.

Or go with a Henry lever action. More accurate than the 10/22 and a ton of fun to shoot by all ages.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    17HMR and be done with it.

One of the older Marlin or a Savage will yield 1MOA results once you find the ammo it likes.

I have a Marlin 17VSF, and I bought every different kind of ammo I could find. It likes the CCI 17gn TNT the best.

I’ve shot it as far as 300 yards, it’s a lot of fun.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think there are a lot of .22s that will be good for coke cans at 100 yards.

.17 HMR will drill them all day at that distance but the cost of ammo can turn a full day of fun in to an hour of fun for the same price. I have one and love the rifle and round, but cost is closer to cheap .223 than bulk .22.

My favorite .22 is an old Wards Westernfield with iron sights. Hard as hell to hit cans at 100 yards but it will do it. Probably much better if it weren't for the guy behind the trigger being spoiled with optics.

My vote would be stay with a .22, get a good scope for it (good, not necessarily expensive) and have a ball all day.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are some really great .22s out there but I find I tend to shoot the round for accuracy from pistols and for fun from rifles.

Well, rifle.

My moms Nylon 66 in Apache Black with iron sights, offhand, at a 6" plate 75 yards away - that's hours of fun, right there.

When I want accuracy, I have a Hammerli.

Oh, and to put this mildly on-topic - No, I don't have any experience with really good .22LR accuracy from a rifle. But acorneau does; listen to him.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Heck yes.

Check this:
    https://us.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-4-12x50-rimfire-22-subsonic.html

special purpose scopes unique to the rimfire caliber and velocity:

I have the Hawke dedicated to my Ruger 77/22 with a can shooting the Gemtech orange box stuff made by CCI.

It's reticle is calibrated out to 200 yrds for subsonic 22lr!!!
    Cool indeed

Mine is spot on the reticle calibrations out to distances I though "too far"

They make a bunch of dedicated reticle optics!!!
    https://us.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-riflescopes.html

The reticle for the 17HMR is calibrated out to 350 yards.
    I need one.

I rarely go out shooting 22lr where I do not shoot out to over 100 yards a few rounds at least.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have a friend over in Mississippi. He got tied up with a bunch over there and they go out to a private range once a week when it's closed (one of them owns it) and shoot 22's out to 500 yds. To keep up with the bunch he went batshit crazy (methinks) and now has an Anshutz 22 with a target scope. I don't know the model but he dropped some bucks. He said that's a beginner rifle for that bunch. It's all a friendly thing and they have a ball.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a friend over in Mississippi. He got tied up with a bunch over there and they go out to a private range once a week when it's closed (one of them owns it) and shoot 22's out to 500 yds. To keep up with the bunch he went batshit crazy (methinks) and now has an Anshutz 22 with a target scope. I don't know the model but he dropped some bucks. He said that's a beginner rifle for that bunch. It's all a friendly thing and they have a ball.

A member or two on this forum might resemble that remark.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I really like my Savage Mark II FVSR. My daughter really likes it too.

Good sized stock for youth shooters.

Plenty accurate. Threaded for suppressor use if that is a concern.

Top Bottom