• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A 10 or 12x scope for 1,000 yards.....seriously? You must have 3x eyes if you're accurate with 12x at 1,000. LOL

Depends on the use at 1000. From what I've seen BC post in the past concerning his intended use, I don't imagine he will be doing bench rest competitions.

A man size silhouette at 1000 doesn't require a 36X scope, nor does an 18" gong.

I could be wrong, just making an assumption from what I've seen BC discuss in the past as far as rifle purchases go.
    Hurley's Gold

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Ran across this article one day... TTAG Project: 1,000 Yard Rifle for $500 | The Truth About Guns

Its not gonna shoot a ragged hole but it rings the steel. Personally I'm a bigger fan of expanding your budget for a more tried and true platform that you can build on over time. The Savage and Remington are the two most obvious candidates. There isn't much on there right now but SWFA also manages a site called samplelist.com that sells demos and used scopes at a discounted price. Keep an eye on the Sniper's Hide classifieds...I've seen a couple of SWFA's sell on there for $250-275 shipped, some with rings. Optics For Sale

I ordered a SWFA to throw on my FN until I decide what variable power I want. For the price you can't beat the quality. With a fixed power you also don't have to worry about second vs first focal plane. Down the road if you choose to upgrade to something else you can still sell it without losing too much or trade it in to SWFA. For that matter, if you have any optics lying around you don't want they may be willing to buy them from you.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Depends on the use at 1000. From what I've seen BC post in the past concerning his intended use, I don't imagine he will be doing bench rest competitions.

A man size silhouette at 1000 doesn't require a 36X scope, nor does an 18" gong.

I could be wrong, just making an assumption from what I've seen BC discuss in the past as far as rifle purchases go.

You got it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here's what I've found so far.

I like relatively short barreled guns but know with the 308 I can't go too short.

What should my minimum length be? 20-22"?

There are some 16-18" out there.

Savage
    SAVAGE 18608 10FCPK 308 SNIPER RIFLE : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Savage 10 FCP .308 308 Win 24" Bl/Syn w/Break NEW! : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Remington
    Remington 700 LTR. 20" Fluted barrel w/ scope : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
    REMINGTON Model 700 SPS HEAVY VARMINT BARREL : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Scopes
    WTS/T: SWFA SS 10X side focus - Calguns.net
    WTS SWFA 10x mil/mil $250 - AR15.Com Archive

Anyways, looks like I can get a rifle for $700 which leaves $300 for a scope.

The most important thing to me is to start with a good gun, if I decide the cheap glass doesn't work for me I can upgrade that latter.

So on the cheap end, this looks realistic for $1200 by the time I pay transfers/taxes/shipping/rings/mounts and such or possibly around $1000 if I can buy locally/used.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You can go short, it just wouldn't be optimal.

Alittle less velocity, little more subject to windy days. Not unusable.

I went with 18" because I have more than one use in mind and don't plan to compete. If you are really wanting to push yourself at 1000 and have bragging rights you'll need to go longer, but I don't see many longer barrels that are threaded.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    OK, well that's good news, I'll have to look at the ballistics some. No interest in competing.

18" threaded sounds pretty great to me.

This helps narrow it down more yet again which is what I"m trying to do here.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It is a bitch checking targets at 1000yds. The man size silloutte, or a large gong may be the answer. If I could hit an 18" gong at a 1000yds it would be a very good day for me. Heck at 500 yds, I would call it good.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    18" will still work but you will lose velocity. It all depends on your expectations for the gun. Personally I lean toward the longer barrels as I don't plan to hike across Texas with it and don't see the point of handicapping myself from the start. The 20 or 22" won't add that much more weight. I have a 24" fluted heavy barrel and yeah its heavy but its manageable unsupported even though all of my shooting would be from a seated or prone position.

The choice between Savage and Remington is going to pretty much be a matter of preference. The Savage accutrigger seems to be a little hit or miss these days but if you get a good one it is an excellent stock trigger.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looked around the webs and found some velocities for barrel lengths. I went with 168gr MK for an example because the are common.

.308, 18" barrel=about 2550fps
    bezere6e.jpg

Same bullet from a 22-24" barrel will get you about 2750fps
    ryve3a4y.jpg

The yellow line is where it goes subsonic, causes a little turbulence. The further past that point you try to shoot the more effect it will have. BT bullets are less effected by this than flat base.

Lighter bullets or higher BC bullets will change things up and I'm sure there is a load that can be made to stay SS out to 1000, off the shelf ammo would be trial and error, options much more limited.

Please don't flame me on these numbers, it's just for a general idea.

BC, I've got a Chronograph coming Tuesday that I'll be playing with as soon as I get a chance. I will run some milsurp ball through and see what kind of velocities it gets also. Although I wouldn't consider anything milsurp to be 1000 yard ammo......

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Looked around the webs and found some velocities for barrel lengths. I went with 168gr MK for an example because the are common.

.308, 18" barrel=about 2550fps

Same bullet from a 22-24" barrel will get you about 2750fps

The yellow line is where it goes subsonic, causes a little turbulence. The further past that point you try to shoot the more effect it will have. BT bullets are less effected by this than flat base.

Lighter bullets or higher BC bullets will change things up and I'm sure there is a load that can be made to stay SS out to 1000, off the shelf ammo would be trial and error, options much more limited.

Please don't flame me on these numbers, it's just for a general idea.

BC, I've got a Chronograph coming Tuesday that I'll be playing with as soon as I get a chance. I will run some milsurp ball through and see what kind of velocities it gets also. Although I wouldn't consider anything milsurp to be 1000 yard ammo......

Without going too far off topic, which ballistics app is that? I'm trying to decide which to get. I've heard good about Shooter and Strelok but had also heard Shooter might be having issues in newer phones.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Good info. Thanks for the help. Im not trying to hamstring my range but also dont want a 24-26" barrel. 18-22" seems pretty good to me. Perhaps 20-22" is the sweet spot between handling and maximum velocity?

Thats why im looking at bolt guns now. I really was gaga over the M1A but it seems to be really hard and expensive to get one to be nearly as accurate as the bolt guns.

Still kicking around the Ruger Gunsite Scout but that would seem to drop off past 500/600 yards in terms of energy and accuracy.

There is a policy supply place in Austin that regularly has barely used Savage and Remington LE type bolt guns for reasonable prices. So mainly im looking there. Need to get the models a bit narrowed down. Will try and stop by their shop this week if possible to check out what they currently have in used stock.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Without going too far off topic, which ballistics app is that? I'm trying to decide which to get. I've heard good about Shooter and Strelok but had also heard Shooter might be having issues in newer phones.

"Ballistic".

There are two versions, I use the cheaper one because the more expensive would have very little benefit for me. I like it because of the massive bullet library with ballistic coefficients. Very useful app.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Top Bottom