• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    BC, get on "the Hide" if you're not already. All the above has been hashed out and more.

My $.02

1) Based on your budget constraints, I'd get the long 26" Rem700....once you settle down on your mat, you'll be glad for the added fps. Sounds like you may be eligible for LE discount, so $540 in your hands is hard to beat (assumes you have an FFL friend for free xfer).

Bud's Rem700 .308
    Rem $50 varmint rebate

2) Look for a good deal on a used Vortex....lifetime warranty and customer service is great
    - FFP would be nice, but hard to get at your budget (you'll prob be running full mag at 1000 yds anyway so FFP not critical)
    - Their PST line is solid
    - do mildot reticle and mil adj turrets to keep it simple

3) Hopefully you already have a bipod (atlas great but spendy, harris is good too)

Follow on equipment items:
    - get a new stock, that SPS stock is not good
    -- Manners, McMillan, H-S, all good but spendy. If nothing else, pickup a Hogue with the pillars on eBay for $50 (in fact, if you're ever in San Antonio, I've got one for you)
    - put a Vortex bubble level on it...the cant makes a big difference at range (and as previously mentioned, the photo of it mounted behind the parallax turret was correct)
    - Strelok is good for Android, iSnipe for iPhone
    - true & bed action (or might instead spend the $$ on a different rifle when the time comes)
    - new trigger if you can't get happy with the factory one
    - Chronograph (I like the magnetospeed, but use it to gain confidence in a particular new load batch...I don't leave it on when shooting for groups)
    - LRF
    - Mat
    - Wind meter

Other notes:
    - milsurp/NATO 7.62 NATO sucks for distance. it has less case capacity...308 is hotter.
    - If you handload, I like Winchester brass the best for 308 (well I really like Lapua...but save that for "special occasions")
    - lots of bullet options, you get what you pay for
    - In addition to less case capacity, a lot of the once-fired NATO 7.62 brass available has been through an M60 which can really mangle/stretch it (ask me how I know...x1000)
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    BC, get on "the Hide" if you're not already. All the above has been hashed out and more.

My $.02

1) Based on your budget constraints, I'd get the long 26" Rem700....once you settle down on your mat, you'll be glad for the added fps. Sounds like you may be eligible for LE discount, so $540 in your hands is hard to beat (assumes you have an FFL friend for free xfer).

Bud's Rem700 .308
    Rem $50 varmint rebate

2) Look for a good deal on a used Vortex....lifetime warranty and customer service is great
    - FFP would be nice, but hard to get at your budget
    - Their PST line is solid
    - do mildot reticle and mil adj turrets to keep it simple

3) Hopefully you already have a bipod (atlas great but spendy, harris is good too)

Follow on items:
    - get a new stock, that SPS stock is not good
    -- Manners, McMillan, H-S, all good but spendy. If nothing else, pickup a Hogue with the pillars on eBay for $50 (in fact, if you're ever in San Antonio, I've got one for you)
    - true & bed action (or might instead spend the $$ on a different rifle when the time comes)
    - new trigger if you can't get happy with the factory one
    - Chronograph (I like the magnetospeed, but use it to gain confidence in a particular new load batch...I don't leave it on when shooting for groups)
    - LRF
    - Mat
    - Wind meter
    - put a Vortex bubble level on it...the cant makes a big difference at range (and as previously mentioned, the photo of it mounted behind the parallax turret was correct)
    - Strelok is good for Android, iSnipe for iPhone
    - milsurp/NATO 7.62 NATO sucks for distance. it has less case capacity...308 is hotter.
    - If you handload, I like Winchester brass the best for 308 (well I really like Lapua...but save that for "special occasions")
    - lots of bullet options, you get what you pay for
    - In addition to less case capacity, a lot of the once-fired NATO 7.62 brass available has been through an M60 which can really mangle/stretch it (ask me how I know...x1000)

This is a pretty good summary of about 500+ threads from what I've read.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My bad on the level, it looked like it was mounted in a way that the elevation knob would block the view of the bubble.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    This is a pretty good summary of about 500+ threads from what I've read.
    Thanks...but I gotta give credit where credit is due. A near mandatory reading list:

Chris Long - OBT & Barrel Harmonics
    Dan Newberry - OCW
    Quickload (software developed by a German...so it's gotta be good)

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I hear a lot if good things about quick load, just can't bring myself to spend the money.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Tons of good advice here. Appreciate it.

I'd like to find a "turn key" setup that a guy doesn't have a fortune into.

I could justify pushing my budget a bit if I could find a ready to go deal.

Lots of accouterments to go with this pursuit as well of course.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    I hear a lot if good things about quick load, just can't bring myself to spend the money.
    I held out til the discount at SHOT Show made it too hard to pass up. Got to meet the "Mad Scientist" Hartmut Broemel....not very good people skills, but his English-speaking partner was very helpful.

It really helps with load development, especially if you buy into the whole Barrel Harmonics and Optimal Barrel Time thing.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Alright, just joined "the hide" Nortex. Thanks.
    you'll be cursing me later...it's an addiction.

BTW-here's what that 26" Rem700 Varmint w/ Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA in a $50 eBay Hogue looks like in .223 (I slapped it together last year for grins, shoots .6 MOA at 100yds with handloads).

5uty9ude.jpg

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    That's totally sick and tempts me to open the pocketbook wider.

I 100% think buying what someone else has built would save a ton of money. I know you miss the whole "learning" experience, but that's OK.
    careful, I don't think that's a Vortex Viper HS-LR. Looks like a straight Viper meaning it has capped turrets (same scope as I have on my 223...fine scope, but not what I'd use for long range).

I think you'll want exposed turrets, zero your rifle at 100yds, plug all the goo into your ballistics app, and then dial in your "dope."

BTW-Almost forgot, you're gonna want a 20-30 MOA base to get you some more elevation out of your scope at range.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've heard good things, but that $10 entry fee would break my bank!! I noticed they have some "teaser" photos of budget builds on the front page.

Can't wait to see BC's first target.

So, who's gonna warn him about the incredible frustration that accompanied the learning curve (that I'm still dealing with). It's all fun and games till that one flier ruins a perfect group, lol.

One thing to remember, gadgets and money won't buy great groups. We all know it, but I can be easy to forget.

Those guys who shoot amazing groups could shoot groups almost as amazing with a lesser rifle and optic, they are wringing out every little bit and paying for things that we may not even be able to notice.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So you and YG are on the same page, but IMO you are both on the wrong page. 10 or 12x at 1000 yards, no matter what you are shooting at, will be an exercise in frustration (unless your name is Carlos Hathcock). Anyway, just my $.02.
    For someone just getting into the game I doubt he'll be immediately reaching out to 1000. Thats months in the making for most people, years for some. Even then, you can make shots on target at 1000 with a 10-12x. A fixed power would allow him to get a decent scope with reliable tracking for far less than anything of comparable quality in a high-power variable. Shots out to 600 can be done reliably and during that time he can save up for something else without blowing his budget out of the water. The SWFA fixed scopes hold value pretty well...$300 new and 6 months later you can still get $250 back for it. I agree that at 1000 yards you won't want to stick to a lower power for long but it can certainly be done in my opinion. A quality high power scope is going to be close to his entire $1000 budget.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So you and YG are on the same page, but IMO you are both on the wrong page. 10 or 12x at 1000 yards, no matter what you are shooting at, will be an exercise in frustration (unless your name is Carlos Hathcock). Anyway, just my $.02.

Fair enough.

For reference, this is a transformer on a pole at 1,162 yrds. Not the greatest pic, tough to hold every thing in line and didn't feel like climbin the tower to get over the trees. Straight in to the sun also.

SWFA 10x scope, transformer is 1 mil right of the crosshairs. 25kva IIRC.

pyvu6y6u.jpg

I agree that a 10X scope is not suitable for competition or bullseye shooting at 1000, but for shooting targets if a specific size with the goal being only to score a hit I don't think it is a bad choice for someone with a budget.

A 12X would be better but they were out of stock when I got mine.

If I had the cash, SWFA 5-20 HD.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom