• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a 1000 yard range near me. Crying shame I have no long range rifle. I need to remedy that.

Im not against buying used. I have a local gun shop that often has used Savage 10FP and other models as well as Remington 700s pretty frequently. Also, I do want a threaded 22-24" barrel

So suggest to me a rifle and scope combo for around $1000. Yes $1000 is an arbitrary number but I need to put an upper limit on this. Also im going this direction as its much cheaper than an M1A plus scope.

Finally, down the road I can upgrade optics so I need a good quality gun to keep long term.

Bonus points for gunbroker or other links.

Ready? Begin.
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Savage 10 or Remington 700, doesn't matter which you choose. Equally good, I prefer Savage.

+1 on SWFA 10 or 12X.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To which other brands is SWFA comparable?

Vortex maybe, but not so much.

SWFA sells scopes with very good durability and repeatability but with a standard level glass to keep costs down.

You can also get the HD line that is on par with other high end scope brands but that would blow your budget.

They are a very good value, don't think another manufacturer will give you that much scope for the money.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Watch "The List" that's linked off this page: Shooters' Corner - The Worlds Largest Inventory of New and Used Benchrest Equipment

Interesting stuff shows up there. The current list has several rifles that might meet your needs for under $1000. Pay no attention to the funky categorization; since suitable rifles may be listed under "Varmint" or "Tactical" or "Highpower" or "Assorted", you really need to scan the whole list. Finally, there's a section for scopes; don't neglect to look there, too.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    1000 budget with optics could be pushing it depending on the deals you come across. The swfa scope is a good budget scope recommendation. Rifle will depend as in my opinion any rifle will need a trigger.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, the location of that level is pretty pointless.

Seems like a very low price to me.........

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    the location of that level is pretty pointless.
    do you actually do any long range shooting?

BC,
    I have some NF levels integrated into the rings with built in cosine and I have some of those Vortex levels (lotta bang for the buck with those as with most Vortex products).

That level is setup so a right-handed/eyed shooter can look through the scope, open his left eye to check level and then shut it again to send a round downrange. It's high enough to clear the parallax adjustment turret.

I'll keep an eye out for a good rig for you, but $1000 with optics might be kinda snug.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I have the boomstick, but looking for the glass.
    Something for $600-1000

Top Bottom