Join TexasGunTalk

101 Gun Questions

Discussion in 'Dillo Dynamics' started by SIG_Fiend, Oct 6, 2013.

1. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hi everyone. Just thought I'd set the stage for the intent I have with this section of the forum. For those of you that don't know, I'm a highly analytical person. Feel free to ask any questions you would like here, and I will gladly provide you all of the insight I have in as little or as much detail as you would like. Wanting to mount an optic on your rifle, but not sure how to determine what is a good one, or what mounting hardware to get? How about finding a good holster for concealed carry? What about diagnosing shooting errors? The intent I have is to simplify this stuff for you, so you can learn from my experience, my mistakes, or the mistakes of others. This stuff doesn't have to be so difficult. So feel free to create some threads here and ask away!

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known TGT Supporter

Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Alright, I'll start this off...

What's the easiest way to bed a rifle? What's the process in detail?

3. stdreb27

stdreb27 TGT Addict

Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    What's your favorite semi auto shotgun cycling system and why?

4. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Geez, your not going to make this easy on me. ;)

Unfortunately stock bedding is not really my area of expertise. This is one of the best write ups I've found on the matter though: Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

5. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    In a conventional shotgun, the Benelli Inertia Driven action. It's not perfect, however it is simple. While there are plenty of piston shotguns with simplistic designs as well, usually there are also O-rings and port fouling to deal with. I'm lazy. ;) The Benelli M4, with it's dual operating system (piston and inertia) is one of the most robust systems out there IMO.

As far as a less conventional shotgun, I'd have to say the Saiga 12. Proven platform and it's an incredibly versatile one.

6. ArmyZach

ArmyZach Active Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Bedding an action is nothing more than using a filler (fiberglass or other resin) to fill the gaps between action and stock.
    A release agent is used on the action, and mixing the resin is just following directions.
    I think the hardest part is setting the job up in such a way that you don't create cleanup work. Lots of tape to protect surfaces and act as dams.
    Brownell's is a great resource, both for material and information. Their methods and materials have stood the test of time and multiple users.
    They are my go to source for any of my tinkering (home spun gunsmithing).

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known TGT Supporter

Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I've read a few articles on bedding but it always seems (to me at least) a messy, error-prone process. Maybe I just have an innate fear of locking in my action because I failed to prep the surfaces correctly. I've been meaning to try it but I keep putting it off because of my concerns.

I had less trepidation getting into reloading so there's no logical reason why I can't bring myself to bed an action...

8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I mean this in the nicest way because what you're offering to do shows a great generosity of spirit...but...you are clearly a glutton for punishment. ;)

9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Assuming you're talking about bolt-action rifles, in my experience there are two ways to go.

Alternative 1 -

1. Discard current stock.
    2. Buy 100% aluminum stock.
    3. Torque all bolts to the values specified by the stock maker.
    4. Go to range and test.
    Alternative 2 -

1. Take rifle to someone with more patience and skill than I will ever possess.
    2. Write large check.
    3. Wait far longer than is reasonable.
    4. Receive rifle, test, and then forget trying to figure out what magic the gunsmithing gods have wrought.
    PS - OK, SIG_Fiend, I'll quit fartin' around in your thread. I just couldn't pass up Pilgrim's invitation to post a smart-ass reply. I have a problem that way. ;)

10. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Read the directions and go for it. Simple process if you do what the directions say.