F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Using this YouTube video as a test:
    View attachment 149992

Note: The numbers are in KiloBytes/s and MegaBytes/s - so multiply accordingly for megabits

Thank you for trying to help, but I don't really follow. I see 4 numbers there. One is kbps, which I think I understand. The other numbers seem pretty low. Does that mean a 5mb internet connection can stream 4k video?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    What about bandwidth? To get a high quality and higher definition picture, the amount of bandwidth required is significant.
    It is easy the provide a higher resolution picture, making it higher quality requires far more resources.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What about bandwidth? To get a high quality and higher definition picture, the amount of bandwidth required is significant.
    It is easy the provide a higher resolution picture, making it higher quality requires far more resources.

What about it?

If your hardwired it’s fine. If your wireless, you’ve got to deal with buffering. If it’s disc-based, then HDMI feeds it to the tv perfectly.

All my TVs are fed by DirecTV via hdmi for traditional and a variety of Internet services fed by Ethernet.

Most 4K content I watch is delivered by internet providers through Cat 5 cable to the back of the TV.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Thank you for trying to help, but I don't really follow. I see 4 numbers there. One is kbps, which I think I understand. The other numbers seem pretty low. Does that mean a 5mb internet connection can stream 4k video?
    In the graph I posted, the units are in MegaBytes per second and KiloBytes per second. Technically there's 8 bits in a byte, 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte, but there's also overhead in each data packet blah blah blah........ A quick estimate is to just multiply by 10 - so downstream (the blue line) averaged around 2.25MBytes per second, or about 22.5 megabit. The peak when it started the stream, when it buffers a bit of the video to make sure it plays smoothly because internet connections tend to fluctuate a lot, it peaked at 18MB/s or 180 megabit. That peak just means the video for me would start sooner than say someone with a 30 megabit connection, but both would play fine assuming the connection stayed above that average 22.5 megabit.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Screen size and viewing distance play large roles.

The last-gen 50” 720P plasma in our bedroom still has a remarkable picture from across the room.

But if it was a 100” screen, it would look like crapola.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    In the graph I posted, the units are in MegaBytes per second and KiloBytes per second. Technically there's 8 bits in a byte, 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte, but there's also overhead in each data packet blah blah blah........ A quick estimate is to just multiply by 10 - so downstream (the blue line) averaged around 2.25MBytes per second, or about 22.5 megabit. The peak when it started the stream, when it buffers a bit of the video to make sure it plays smoothly because internet connections tend to fluctuate a lot, it peaked at 18MB/s or 180 megabit. That peak just means the video for me would start sooner than say someone with a 30 megabit connection, but both would play fine assuming the connection stayed above that average 22.5 megabit.

Thank you. I supposedly have the big 25 mb package, but that's only when no one else on the tower is trying to do stuff. Perhaps in time I'll be able to get better. Just a couple of years ago 5mb was the best I could get.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I need an 8K set to play some Battlefield V on!

What... wait a minute, my new Nvidia RTX 2080 TI does not support 8K?
    What do you mean the new $15k Samsung Samsung Q900R 8K TV only support 8K at 30Hz. That is just criminal...

I guess I will have to wait for the next version, and be satisfied with 5860 x 1200, not even 4K...

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I bought a 55" 4K TV (LG refurb) last Christmas for $450. Looks great, but I still like the 42" 1080 one in our bedroom almost as much. 4k is an improvement, don't get me wrong, but it's not like the difference between 720 and 1080.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom