Lynx Defense

10mm PDW, is there a use case that makes this superior to a 10.5" AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    My LGS recently got a 10mm UMP clone in stock. They let me hold it and told me it would sell fast, but being the disciplined guy I am, I didn't bite because:

1) I'm not sure where it fits in my POU (thanks NutNFancy). I feel like a 10.5" AR can do pretty much anything a 10mm PDW can do, and probably better?
    2) I don't have 10mm in my current inventory, so I'd have to start stockpiling (not a big problem, but I want to make sure I need one before I start spending the cash).

HK_UMP_10mm.jpg

What do you guys think?
    Hurley's Gold

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I wanted a JAKL bad but with a 10.5 556 only having fragmentation velocity for the first 50 yards or so just kills any short barrel 556 for me. I think the larger mass of the 10mm would be more effective for its intended distances.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    When I had my SP89 built into the MP5K I kind of regret not having it built in 10mm or .40 S&W. Then the practical side of me is happy for the price difference between 9 mm & 10 mm ammo.

Yeah, 25 cents per round vs 60-75 cents a round for target loads definitely makes you think twice.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    10.5 with a 5.56 - shooting full house 5.56 and not watered down stuff (check out Brass Facts on YouTube for some eye opening data about factory "5.56" loads not being loaded to full power) you're going to have a short distance where the round will perform as designed / intended. Beyond that, you'll not get the wounding potential the round is known for. This may or may not be a concern to you, and a hole is still better than no hole, all things given.

That said - a 10mm with full house loads is no slouch and the lethality is nothing to scoff at.

The UMP and a short AR have overlapping uses - but the UMP is more compact than a 10.5 inch AR. That means that in close, cramped situations, its the superior tool.

The downside - its more expensive over all. Mags are a lot more expensive. Ammo is more expensive.

What is your intended use for the short AR? What is your intended use for the UMP? Are we talking in-home defensive use? Are you gonna become a post apocalyptic warlord / raider going house to house? Are you going to fend off angry biker mice from Mars?

I've got a 10.5 AR - it'll reach out and smack someone and make a hole a few hundred yards away. That UMP should do the same. Which bullet will have more energy on target, at distance? The 10mm will probably have worse ballistic arc at range, but its not really meant for long range engagements.

UMPs are cooler than ARs. Is this a toy? Does second kind of cool matter (there's a Nutnfancy reference for you)? Do you own an HK USP, P30, P45 or even a VP9 to accompany this gun and fulfill HK cosplay / roleplay fantasy? UMPs are not as cool as MP5's, but they're still cool.

You know you wanna to ze HK slap...

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    When I had my SP89 built into the MP5K I kind of regret not having it built in 10mm or .40 S&W. Then the practical side of me is happy for the price difference between 9 mm & 10 mm ammo.
    When discussing factory ammo, that was very apparent until the Kung-Flu hit. For a while there 10 mm and 45 acp were more available and right at the same price. As far as reloading components go, 10mm and 40 S&W use the same projectiles, and there's much less demand for them than 9mm or 45 acp. Obviously primer and powder are hard to find no matter what you're reloading.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    10.5 with a 5.56 - shooting full house 5.56 and not watered down stuff (check out Brass Facts on YouTube for some eye opening data about factory "5.56" loads not being loaded to full power) you're going to have a short distance where the round will perform as designed / intended. Beyond that, you'll not get the wounding potential the round is known for. This may or may not be a concern to you, and a hole is still better than no hole, all things given.

That said - a 10mm with full house loads is no slouch and the lethality is nothing to scoff at.

The UMP and a short AR have overlapping uses - but the UMP is more compact than a 10.5 inch AR. That means that in close, cramped situations, its the superior tool.

The downside - its more expensive over all. Mags are a lot more expensive. Ammo is more expensive.

What is your intended use for the short AR? What is your intended use for the UMP? Are we talking in-home defensive use? Are you gonna become a post apocalyptic warlord / raider going house to house? Are you going to fend off angry biker mice from Mars?

I've got a 10.5 AR - it'll reach out and smack someone and make a hole a few hundred yards away. That UMP should do the same. Which bullet will have more energy on target, at distance? The 10mm will probably have worse ballistic arc at range, but its not really meant for long range engagements.

UMPs are cooler than ARs. Is this a toy? Does second kind of cool matter (there's a Nutnfancy reference for you)? Do you own an HK USP, P30, P45 or even a VP9 to accompany this gun and fulfill HK cosplay / roleplay fantasy? UMPs are not as cool as MP5's, but they're still cool.

You know you wanna to ze HK slap...

Right now, the short AR sits by my bed and is my primary night time defense weapon. I used to have a Glock 19 there, but I've gone full short AR now.

It has a bright ass light, an IR laser/illuminator, it's easier to aim and shoot, I'm far more accurate with it, and I have a mag full of Hornady HP match.

The UMP could be a replacement? It does have second kind of cool for sure (NutNFancy ©2008). I'm a huge HK fanboy so this kind of thing peaks my interest even though I'm not sure where it fits for me POU-wise.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    My LGS recently got a 10mm UMP clone in stock. They let me hold it and told me it would sell fast, but being the disciplined guy I am, I didn't bite because:

1) I'm not sure where it fits in my POU (thanks NutNFancy). I feel like a 10.5" AR can do pretty much anything a 10mm PDW can do, and probably better?
    2) I don't have 10mm in my current inventory, so I'd have to start stockpiling (not a big problem, but I want to make sure I need one before I start spending the cash).

View attachment 337768

What do you guys think?

Do you hog hunt? That thing would be pretty cool for that.

If not buy it anyway & stock up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Right now, the short AR sits by my bed and is my primary night time defense weapon. I used to have a Glock 19 there, but I've gone full short AR now.

It has a bright ass light, an IR laser/illuminator, it's easier to aim and shoot, I'm far more accurate with it, and I have a mag full of Hornady HP match.

The UMP could be a replacement? It does have second kind of cool for sure (NutNFancy ©2008). I'm a huge HK fanboy so this kind of thing peaks my interest even though I'm not sure where it fits for me POU-wise.

I think you know what you have to do now... just take the money, debit card, credit card, whatever. Set it on the table. Say goodbye to it, and make a spot in the gunsafe for the new gun.

Top Bottom