a 10mm H&K USPc that would be kick ass

Brembo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    thinking about going 10mm
    who makes em dont say glock or kimber
    my 1911s are going to always be 45 and i will not own a glock

Glock is preferred 51% with LE for a reason. A lot of people don't like Glock due to its feel, but after firing one for a while I got used to it and found them to be accurate little guns.

I used a S&W 1006 for ama IPSC until they banned 10mm (or should I say, discouraged its use). I used a Delta 10mm for competition in a gun club, but I would never own another Colt, and especially not the Delta Elite 10mm. The S&W was a much better gun.

So if you don't like Glock, and I would never put a Colt on someone, then I guess you should go with a Dan Wesson in 10mm. They shoot great, but for some reason once CZ took them over you get some of them with loose slides. I like a tighter slide and less rattle to my guns. You might find you do too and need a gunsmith. But out of the box, the Dan Wesson is an awesome shooter.

I've been hoping that Olympic Arms 10mm while I had money to spend, or S&W would make another one. Olympic makes guns that are as good or better than Kimber, Wilson or Les, but you don't get raped on the price. If I could just talk them into a 10mm I'd be dancing.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    IPSC "discouraged" the use of 10mm? When did that happen? I just perused the USPSA rule book on the web and found nothing different than it always was in regards to caliber. Did your local club decide you were dinging up the Poppers too much using a "real" caliber? I use my 1006 regularly and have never been questioned about it. 175 PF for most courses but a screaming 175gr @ 1250 for the 35 yard poppers is fun! Calibration my a$$! They all fall.

Brembo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    IPSC "discouraged" the use of 10mm? When did that happen? I just perused the USPSA rule book on the web and found nothing different than it always was in regards to caliber. Did your local club decide you were dinging up the Poppers too much using a "real" caliber? I use my 1006 regularly and have never been questioned about it. 175 PF for most courses but a screaming 175 for the 35 yard poppers is fun! Calibration my a$$! They all fall.

You basically hit it on the head!

This has been roughly 15 years ago, but this is what I recall (and what made me stop competing eventually).

After the first day, I had "ruined" 5 of the backplates (in all fairness to the 10mm Hornady 200gr factory ammo, it does hit hard). Nothing was said until the following week when I showed up to warm up with my 1006. One of the club officers, who was himself a competitor in the IPSC alledgedly, approached me and showed me two of the poppers with holes in them. The holes were mangled, warped dents that the bullet had managed to tear at least partially, so this was not allowable according to them. They claimed some had fully penetrated. They had approved my ammo, but now I had to change ammo. Ok, no biggie for me and the one other guy who shot 10mm. I had brought some 170gr that night.

That night we made our rounds and I went home slightly miff'd. The following week they had made the change to eliminate 10mm. They offered us the option of reshooting the first two night's rounds and rescoring, or taking no points into the third week. At this point I dropped down to 9mm, using my SigP226, and the other guy dropped to a 40 S&W (it was brand new, still a curio, and he had just gotten a Smith in 40 and wanted to shoot it anyway over his 38super). Now I was shooting with the Beretta, Glock fanatics and my friend with his Taurus, while the 38supers, 40's and 45's were "the premier" group.

I was very ignorant of competing at this time, so I had no idea what was going on. I got drug into the whole thing by one of the range officials anyway. I just showed up, shot what they told me to shoot, and went home. Shooting was just very natural to me and I didn't get into the politics or BS over what gun was best, etc. I just knew that the Sig fit me best, shot for me better than anything else, and I could draw it and hit 6/6 in under 3 seconds. I didn't think about what the long term goal for me was, nor did I care.

However as time went on it became know to me that only the 38's or 45's would actually move beyond these amateur events, for some reason. I shot a 38 briefly then tried the 40, but I was not hot on reloading too much so I changed to a 45 and used factory ammo (giving my brass to my friend who reloaded for me in exchange for using my 9mm brass for his 9mm Taurus). I still shot my 1006 every week with my 9mm, but was competing in the 45 class. Eventually I stopped going, having become fully disenchanted with the whole thing.

I picked up some great tips there, so it was not a total waste.

I even tried shooting my 357 revolver (loaded with 38 special of course) briefly, but after hearing how "no one who really competes uses a wheel gun" I gave up. To me it wasn't about having my name on a gun or some fans wearing my tshirt, it was about learning to shoot well and enjoying my chosen sport. And that's what they took away from me.

Since then, I have never tried to shoot with any gun clubs here in Houston. Someone, an old friend, told me a few weeks ago that the Nightowls were firing up again and I merely shrugged and offered my condolences to him if he was joining them.

When you think about it, had any of those jackasses been any good, they would not have been shooting with a bunch of amatuers. Just sad that they could only feel better by thumbing down fresh blood. Envy. Jealously. Who knows. Shame, really.

So, that's it... Not a nutshell, but fully explained so you can get the picture.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    They obviously got/made some sub standard poppers. If a 10mm would shoot a hole through it (any Federally legal, non-AP 10mm) then their poppers were made from some really crappy steel. Don't give up on the sport just because of some dumb a$$es.

I agree, I will never finish in the top 10 at an area match with a D/A 10mm but that is what I carry so that is what I will compete with.

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I shoot a 10mm in IPSC in the late 80's with no issues. factory PMC and Hornady ammo...
    Not to mention I was hell on the bowling pins :D

If the initial gun chambered for the 10mm had been a Glock, it would have simply been a footnote in history. Who knows, the 40 S&W may have never developed.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    You basically hit it on the head!

This has been roughly 15 years ago, but this is what I recall (and what made me stop competing eventually).

After the first day, I had "ruined" 5 of the backplates (in all fairness to the 10mm Hornady 200gr factory ammo, it does hit hard). Nothing was said until the following week when I showed up to warm up with my 1006. One of the club officers, who was himself a competitor in the IPSC alledgedly, approached me and showed me two of the poppers with holes in them. The holes were mangled, warped dents that the bullet had managed to tear at least partially, so this was not allowable according to them. They claimed some had fully penetrated. They had approved my ammo, but now I had to change ammo. Ok, no biggie for me and the one other guy who shot 10mm. I had brought some 170gr that night.

That night we made our rounds and I went home slightly miff'd. The following week they had made the change to eliminate 10mm. They offered us the option of reshooting the first two night's rounds and rescoring, or taking no points into the third week. At this point I dropped down to 9mm, using my SigP226, and the other guy dropped to a 40 S&W (it was brand new, still a curio, and he had just gotten a Smith in 40 and wanted to shoot it anyway over his 38super). Now I was shooting with the Beretta, Glock fanatics and my friend with his Taurus, while the 38supers, 40's and 45's were "the premier" group.

I was very ignorant of competing at this time, so I had no idea what was going on. I got drug into the whole thing by one of the range officials anyway. I just showed up, shot what they told me to shoot, and went home. Shooting was just very natural to me and I didn't get into the politics or BS over what gun was best, etc. I just knew that the Sig fit me best, shot for me better than anything else, and I could draw it and hit 6/6 in under 3 seconds. I didn't think about what the long term goal for me was, nor did I care.

However as time went on it became know to me that only the 38's or 45's would actually move beyond these amateur events, for some reason. I shot a 38 briefly then tried the 40, but I was not hot on reloading too much so I changed to a 45 and used factory ammo (giving my brass to my friend who reloaded for me in exchange for using my 9mm brass for his 9mm Taurus). I still shot my 1006 every week with my 9mm, but was competing in the 45 class. Eventually I stopped going, having become fully disenchanted with the whole thing.

I picked up some great tips there, so it was not a total waste.

I even tried shooting my 357 revolver (loaded with 38 special of course) briefly, but after hearing how "no one who really competes uses a wheel gun" I gave up. To me it wasn't about having my name on a gun or some fans wearing my tshirt, it was about learning to shoot well and enjoying my chosen sport. And that's what they took away from me.

Since then, I have never tried to shoot with any gun clubs here in Houston. Someone, an old friend, told me a few weeks ago that the Nightowls were firing up again and I merely shrugged and offered my condolences to him if he was joining them.

When you think about it, had any of those jackasses been any good, they would not have been shooting with a bunch of amatuers. Just sad that they could only feel better by thumbing down fresh blood. Envy. Jealously. Who knows. Shame, really.

So, that's it... Not a nutshell, but fully explained so you can get the picture.

Holy Wall of Text Batman...

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    nobody would have a holster for that thing though i am intrigued

Here is one of the few that I've found for it.

sti-40-cr-speed.jpg

CR Speed Holsters

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The Glock 20 and 29 are the most awesome 10mms ever made. the same gun in two configurations that work and work well and work everytime you need them to without any BS tweaking.

These brothers allow the shooter to learn one gun and one manual of arms.

Now for a Non Glock option: the Smith and Wesson 1006 is a fine weapon and VLTOR is bringing the Bren Ten back to life. The Bren Ten is Jeff cooper's ultimate combat pistol and VLTOR is correcting many of the issues that the original Bren had.

Danton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Some of the previous replies nailed it: Glock makes outstanding 10mm's...both versions. I'm sympathetic to the .45 only theory of 1911's, but Dan Wesson makes the best 10mm's I've fired. Love my PM10 (I have yet to fire a Delta Elite, but I plan on owning one soon and expect nothing short of excellence). Don't limit yourself, if possible. You're passing on the best 10mm's out there.

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    you left off the part about

"IMHO" ;)

Some of the previous replies nailed it: Glock makes outstanding 10mm's...both versions. I'm sympathetic to the .45 only theory of 1911's, but Dan Wesson makes the best 10mm's I've fired. Love my PM10 (I have yet to fire a Delta Elite, but I plan on owning one soon and expect nothing short of excellence). Don't limit yourself, if possible. You're passing on the best 10mm's out there.

Top Bottom