• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    something I noticed

I read quite a few internet news sites, papers and others, daily and noticed that there was an obvious lack of mention of Pearl Harbor. It made me wonder if it was so long ago that it is moved aside by, more current tragedies, or if it has anything to do with a trend toward political correctness. I would like to hear your thoughts as to why. I know there still plenty of americans that survived the attack and I am sure that many of them awoke this morning with a heavy heart.
    Let me know what you think.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    "The Greatest Generation" is now passing away at a dreadful pace.
    If you know a WW2 vet, be sure and listen to his accounts and record them, either on audio or video or simply write them down. When these heroes are gone so are their stories. I have watched the Military Channel all day!
    I doubt Americans will ever unify again like we did in 1941-45. Present company excluded, we have no heart for a fight anymore. Sad...

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I totally agree TEXASCOP2, with reservation on one point. I believe, with a lot of optimism that there is still a lot of heart in our great country, especially with our young men and women fighting two wars as we speak and the rest of us facing one rising in our own land. Through history and in wars in our own country to secure our freedom from repression there have always been warriors willing to take up the fight, there have always been those who would not fight and those who did not know they had the fight in them until the ugly bastard looked them in the eyes.
    I have been fortunate to know several friends from WW11 to present day in the middle east and am thankful for thier bravery.
    I think we {present company included} have an responsibility to teach those that do not understand that freedom has to be in our hearts before it can be excercised in our minds and daily lives.
    Texas cop2 , after rereading this I hope that you know I am at your side.I get emotional sometimes about these things and tend to get on a roll.
    WHEH! Havent spoken that much in days.

Bless Our Troops

Merry Christmas

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I totally agree TEXASCOP2, with reservation on one point. I believe, with a lot of optimism that there is still a lot of heart in our great country, especially with our young men and women fighting two wars as we speak and the rest of us facing one rising in our own land. Through history and in wars in our own country to secure our freedom from repression there have always been warriors willing to take up the fight, there have always been those who would not fight and those who did not know they had the fight in them until the ugly bastard looked them in the eyes.
    I have been fortunate to know several friends from WW11 to present day in the middle east and am thankful for thier bravery.
    I think we {present company included} have an responsibility to teach those that do not understand that freedom has to be in our hearts before it can be excercised in our minds and daily lives.
    Texas cop2 , after rereading this I hope that you know I am at your side.I get emotional sometimes about these things and tend to get on a roll.
    WHEH! Havent spoken that much in days.

Bless Our Troops

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you too, my friend.
    Let me clarify...
    I have no doubt in the will or ability of our fighting forces. My doubt lies in the populus and politicians.
    I agree that we need to spead our message...I hope our greatest days are ahead of us.
    But look at this "war on terror" as an example...
    There should be no lack of resolve to go toe to toe with extemists, not after 9-11.
    Yet our president elect and the majority of this country if you beleive the polls wants to negotiate with Iran and other terrorist organizations. We legitimized the PLO!!!! They were a bunch of crazies hijacking planes 20 years ago...now they are a bonifide govt. It is insane....
    43% of the public believes in some type of 9-11 conspiracy involving our govt.
    How do you look a group of Muslims in the eye, who tell you they will die for their belief, and they will sacrifice the next 100 generations of their people? We fight for 6-8 months and start crying that it is taking to long.
    Can you imagine that during WW2? After the Battle of Midway in 42'...wanting to go ahead and quit...?
    The social revolution of the 60's has come back to bite us in the ass. We, as a country, are now so "sissy-fied", it is sick.
    I love the USA and hope that things turn around...but November 4th has cast a long shadow....

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    My father passed away on jan30,2005 and I've missed him terribly.He once told me he was on Iwo about 50 yards down the hill from where they raised the flag,that the famous raising was not the first.The first was a much smaller flag.I consider myself a marine corps brat as my dad was stationed all over the world.He retired after 23 years in the corps.I myself was in that beautiful (yeah,right) southeast asian country from 66 to 67 but I didn't do anything special,just came home in one piece.I have never considered my self a hero but I felt my dad was and I am very proud of him.He was on Iwo,guadacanal,boganville and many others.I must be really old fashioned as I still get a tear when the flag passes or I hear taps being played.sj

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    "The Greatest Generation" is now passing away at a dreadful pace.
    If you know a WW2 vet, be sure and listen to his accounts and record them, either on audio or video or simply write them down. When these heroes are gone so are their stories. I have watched the Military Channel all day!
    I doubt Americans will ever unify again like we did in 1941-45. Present company excluded, we have no heart for a fight anymore. Sad...

Sadly I could not agree more.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I grew up and worked for and with the ww2 generation a tough "honest" bunch that I've ever known while I still have faith we can and will build such a group again I believe it will take a large amount of suffering to do so. The ww2 generation should be in our minds as we make daily decisions the rest of our lives.

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    My father passed away on jan30,2005 and I've missed him terribly.He once told me he was on Iwo about 50 yards down the hill from where they raised the flag,that the famous raising was not the first.The first was a much smaller flag.I consider myself a marine corps brat as my dad was stationed all over the world.He retired after 23 years in the corps.I myself was in that beautiful (yeah,right) southeast asian country from 66 to 67 but I didn't do anything special,just came home in one piece.I have never considered my self a hero but I felt my dad was and I am very proud of him.He was on Iwo,guadacanal,boganville and many others.I must be really old fashioned as I still get a tear when the flag passes or I hear taps being played.sj

My Dad was there too. He died in Nov 94. Navy signalman on USS Lunga Point, CVE94, & took a suiside hit there. Repaired at sea & he went on to Okanawa.
    You are correct about the picture being the 2nd raising. First was under orders as they reached the top of Surabachi so the enemy could see Old Glory from every place on the island. The 2nd was staged for the photos to be taken.
    I believe required reading should be Flags Of Our Fathers. An account of the lives of the 6 men that raised that cerimonial flag. It was written by the son of one of the raisers.
    I had the privilege of talking to a Pearl Harbor vet a few short days ago. I watch for Verteran hats & stop to thank them. We were at the family visitation prior to a funeral & I saw the hat. "Pearl Harbor Survivor" & I spent some time w/ him. Did not talk of the battle or day just talked & said thanks.
    000_0158_0001.gif

Top Bottom