• ...and so much more!
  • Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Hi Fellers!

I need to get some buckshot and I came across some Royal 9 pellet Low Recoil 00 Buck. Are these any good or should I just get some regular 2 3/4" shells?

I resist getting slugs because I want my wife to score a hit if confronted in the house and she can't shoot from the shoulder because a shoulder injury. I want her to be able to get in the zip code and let the pellets find the address.

Thanks
    Military Camp

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I don't think I'd expect a 12" pattern inside of a house, unless it's a really big house. I'd venture to guess a long shot in a house won't get 4"-6" pattern.

That said, I think buckshot is the best anyway. If it's a pump, low recoil isn't a bad idea.

I just bought a bunch of that plain brown box, Winchester military stuff all the stores had for sale recently. It was pretty cheap but once looking into it, it appears it may be a pretty high velocity load. Might be best suited for an semi auto, but I'll try it in my Mossberg. I think I'll end up going standard pressure stuff as I have (since I have it also) or low recoil if I decide to buy more.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Thanks. I think I'll get the 250 round package. I think that'll be enough for the house. Now I need to save up for 308 and 22 rifles, a 22 pistol and another smaller (Commander?) 1911A1 and then I think I'll be almost there. If I had a gazzilion to spend, I'd get two or three of each.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Measure the distances you expect to actually shoot in your house. Patten the intended ammo at that distance and have wifey shoot at that range.

If she is unable to shoulder the gun you will likley find she cannot hit across the room. She will likely hit WAY high and take out the cieling fan rather than the BG.

A shotgun is NOT a spray and pray gun. Many people believe you can simply point it in the general direction and pull the trigger. You CAN miss with a shot gun. With the spray and pray attitude I am willing to bet a fin you (or she) will miss.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    If she can't fire from the shoulder, please find her another weapon. As said above, shotguns are not spray and pray.

Inside a house, most 00 buckshot will not spread more than 4-5". Plus, the shooter is responsible for every pellet that misses.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Thanks guys. That zip code and address thing was a joke. LOL I practice from the shoulder and from the hip and can hit pretty well both ways. Been shootin' since the mid 60's. I intend on having her practice from the hip until she can consistantly hit the target from various distances. I left the shoulder stock instead of installing the pistol grip for a little more balance.

What's the best shock absorbing pad I can put on the stock? Is there anything out there with a lot of little piston shock absorbers and a thick pad like on a car?

Top Bottom