• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    For the purpose of home defense when the wife and baby are home alone, what should the barrel length be for a small apartment and no experience? Buck shot? Or is there a home defense load that won't blow a hole through the wall and kill 5 neighbors :beat:

Specifically Pump action to deter altercation.

Off topic is welcome if it deals with home defense.
    Capitol Armory ad

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Shortest barrel possible, which would be 18.5in for factory barrels without going to an SBS (short barreled shotgun) which requires the NFA stamp.

Ammo type will be argued to death. I load mine with 00buck, but #4buck would work fine as well. Lots of folks in apartments like birdshot (field/target loads) to reduce the risk of overpenetration. While I do load 00buck in mine, I certainly would not feel undergunned with a 12ga with birdshot. At realistic in-home defense distances of about 15ft, even birdshot will completely f*ck up a perp.

I do not at all agree with the strategy of pumping the action loudly to "deter altercation." Mine is locked and loaded.

Here's mine. 590A1 18.5in
    16333453485_1ef4cd66c0_b.jpg

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    He shot him at 30-40yds with birdshot. If you want to stand at opposite ends of the largest room in your apartment, and let me shoot you in the face with 12ga birdshot, it will kill you.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Shortest barrel possible, which would be 18.5in for factory barrels without going to an SBS (short barreled shotgun) which requires the NFA stamp.

Ammo type will be argued to death. I load mine with 00buck, but #4buck would work fine as well. Lots of folks in apartments like birdshot (field/target loads) to reduce the risk of overpenetration. While I do load 00buck in mine, I certainly would not feel undergunned with a 12ga with birdshot. At realistic in-home defense distances of about 15ft, even birdshot will completely f*ck up a perp.

I do not at all agree with the strategy of pumping the action loudly to "deter altercation." Mine is locked and loaded.

Here's mine. 590A1 18.5in
    16333453485_1ef4cd66c0_b.jpg
    Actually, 18 " is legal. Anything under is NFA territory. And as for bird shot, I suggest you check out "Box o Truth

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    I mostly shot at trees and birds with bird shot. Even close range. I did shoot my dads truck one time on accident. I don't remember ever doing much damage to anything with that, but I don't have a good reference I guess for in home use. I agree it probably would kill me, so I'll pass on the invite.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The problem with bird shot is that the pellets quickly disperse and the momentum of the individual pellets is very low.

While 1oz at 1200ft/sec packs abig punch, a few grains at that 1200fps packs almost nothing.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    The problem with bird shot is that the pellets quickly disperse and the momentum of the individual pellets is very low.

While 1oz at 1200ft/sec packs abig punch, a few grains at that 1200fps packs almost nothing.

Just how much do you think the shot is going to spread at close range?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just how much do you think the shot is going to spread at close range?

It begins spreading immediately as soon as it stops being a solid mass, which start happening as soon as it leaves the barrel, and happen extremely quickly when it encounters any resistance, you begin to work with the energy stored in each individual pellet.

Physics.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I'm not arguing the physics, just your claim that 12ga birdshot at close range is not going to put down a threat. Inside of 7yds it is absolutely devastating. At contact range it'll blow a clean 1in hole in the perp's face.

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    I wish I had that gun with me. Would be an interesting physics problem. I have to say, BB guns and bird shot kills birds. Given my experience with it would be a surprise to me if it were a viable home defense round. Especially with a short barrel.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    The Judge shoots a piddly 410 out of a 4in barrel. 12ga and 18in barrel is nothing to scoff at. It shouldn't be, at least...

Enochwel, ever shoot a pig with 12ga birdshot at close range? They don't just shrug it off and trot back into the woods. :rolleyes:

Anyway, sounds like you've already made up your mind. Get you a 30in barrel 12ga and load it up with 00buck.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The Judge shoots a piddly 410 out of a 4in barrel. 12ga and 18in barrel is nothing to scoff at. It shouldn't be, at least...

Enochwel, ever shoot a pig with 12ga birdshot at close range? They don't just shrug it off and trot back into the woods. :rolleyes:

Anyway, sounds like you've already made up your mind. Get you a 30in barrel 12ga and load it up with 00buck.
    I have,( shot pigs at close range with birdshot) and yes, they shrug it off and run into the woods. I have also skinned many pigs with all manner of small caliber rounds ( .22,.17, and bird shot) lodged under the skin completely healed over.

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    Closest I can come to that is armadillo with 410. They roll and bolt and die somewhere in the woods.

Top Bottom