• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Although I have fired a lot of shotguns over the years I have never fired a slug from one. Is there any particular restrictions for types of chokes that are allowed?

Any problems shooting slugs from a Remington 870?

Thanks in advance.
    Hurley's Gold

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Although I have fired a lot of shotguns over the years I have never fired a slug from one. Is there any particular restrictions for types of chokes that are allowed?

Any problems shooting slugs from a Remington 870?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of experience with slugs and all types of slug guns and slugs in all types of shotguns here in Indiana.

"Allowed" to me sounds like some type of state hunting regulation. You'll have to check your local regulations for that.

For slugs in an 870.
    If it's and 2 3/4 receiver you should only use 2 3/4 slugs. 3" slugs will fire but then the empty won't eject out the port and the receiver is not intended to take the pressures of the heavier charge. Shorter slugs in the longer heavier receiver are fine.

Slugs in a FULL choke will NOT blow out the end like Elmer Fudd in a cartoon. BUT I have documented it slightly expanding the choke in my own barrel the more you do it.

I've always got best accuracy results with "regular" slugs, foster slugs, rifled slugs (all the same thing) from a smooth bore improved cylinder choke barrel designed for slugs and topped with rifle adjustable sights on the barrel. A reciever mounted scope is a viable second choice.

Sabot slugs are intended to perform best from fully rifled shotgun barrels and in my experience they do. Some shot gun barrels also may have interchangeable chokes and there are 870 barrels with adjustable rifle sights that accept these interchangeable chokes and there is a rifled choke option for them. I have one I've used for both deer hunting and it comes in mighty handy for turkey hunting from inside a blind as it is short, has good sights and will accept a turkey choke. I really like this one.

If I didn't hit the one thing you want to know, just ask.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I tried to find the shell size on the website but it was not there. I am pretty sure it is a 3" because it is listed as a magnum.

That is some great info, thanks!

Top Bottom