Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Ive read where some states issue everyone within so many miles of a nuke plant KI pills.

I work at a nuke and that is absolutely not the case.

If radioactive cesium and iodine are at the point where you need to saturate the thyroid to prevent thyroid cancer in 20 years, there are bigger issues that need addressing today.

KI is a throw-back from the fall-out propaganda of the 50s.

And yes, it has a shelf-life and would be available upon request at a nuke facility evacuation center.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

If radioactive cesium and iodine are at the point where you need to saturate the thyroid to prevent thyroid cancer in 20 years, there are bigger issues that need addressing today.

And yes, it has a shelf-life and would be available upon request at a nuke facility evacuation center.

Ill try and post the gov link tonight. It isnt a cure all. Protects thyroid from one specific type of cancer.

I have a friend that works at a nuke plant and i work with guys who worked around nukes.

No. It isnt as dangerous as many think. But, people arent informed of the nuclear by products already in the ground/water (deuterium and tritium leaks from condensors in Il).

The chinese melted down some sort of industrial instrument with cesium in it and made steel out of it. Brazillans have died trying to salvage medical equipment with the same.

Small scale plutonium decay reactors are all over the former USSR and you should see their submarine nuke reactor yard!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Ill try and post the gov link tonight. It isnt a cure all. Protects thyroid from one specific type of cancer.

I have a friend that works at a nuke plant and i work with guys who worked around nukes.

No. It isnt as dangerous as many think. But, people arent informed of the nuclear by products already in the ground/water (deuterium and tritium leaks from condensors in Il). There have been people killed trying to salvage nuclear medical devices. The chinese melted a nuclear instrument containing cesium into steel.

The Russians used these small scale plutonium decay reactors that make electricity directly from heat (no steam). They are all over the former USSR in various states of disrepair (and we have one of our own on the moon, that may be a full on nuke reactor though).

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I doubt nuclear fall-out from the reactor on the moon will be a threat to those of us left on earth, capt. Kirk.

And if Chernobyl didn't erase life from the earth, much less the general area around the failed reactor, US nukes in today's regulatory environment certainly won't.

This rhetoric is no different than the fear mongering generated by mass shootings.

Educate yourself with something other than tabloid news.

I suggest nei.org for a start.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I doubt nuclear fall-out from the reactor on the moon will be a threat.

And if Chernobyl didn't erase life from the earth, much less the general area around the failed reactor, US nukes in today's regulatory environment certainly won't.

This rhetoric is no different than the fear mongering generated by mass shootings.

Educate yourself with something other than tabloid news.

WTF was that?

What in the actual f*ck are you talking about?

Nuclear istotopes are used for lots of good things. Im just mentioning things a lot of people didnt know they were used for and i mentioned a lot of tests and contamination people are generally unaware of and how our gov hasnt been honest about it.

Why did you even bother commenting?

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    It appears you scour the internet looking for links to controversial or agenda promoting "stories" for no other reason than to draw attention.

JMHO

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Dude. He works nukes.
    I reckon he knows.

(Response to bc, regarding his reaction to mitch)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It appears you scour the internet looking for links to controversial or agenda promoting "stories" for no other reason than to draw attention.

JMHO

Who the hell are you talking to? I didnt start the thread! I commented about actual historical facts that happened and mentioned some interesting uses of nuclear isotopes.

Should we question why the gov is buying, stockpiling or replacing 14M potassium iodide pills...YES. We pay for them. We might find a totally reasonable answer.

As far as people scouring the internet looking for controversial links for attention...really? These are discussions that need to be had.

Or would you prefer to turn this into a Fudd forum where we talk about our fine antique shotguns?

So...i was going to ask why are you commenting if youre not interested in this thread...then i remember yes, some people do like attention and some...like conflict.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    They have already nuked west texas. Look up operation plowshare/project gnome.

I used to quail hunt at the bore site near Carlsbad till I found out what it was.

Sent from Cheyenne Mountain to confuse the NSA

Last edited:

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    I saw a report about the substantial amount of trash coming across the Pacific from Japan. In a couple of years, people on the entire west coast aren't going to believe the amount that will be washing up. Some of that garbage could have the slight possibility of being radioactive due to being items washed out to sea that were around the Fukushima nuke plant.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I saw a report about the substantial amount of trash coming across the Pacific from Japan. In a couple of years, people on the entire west coast aren't going to believe the amount that will be washing up. Some of that garbage could have the slight possibility of being radioactive due to being items washed out to sea that were around the Fukushima nuke plant.

Lump it all in a pile and there will be what 5 RADs ... 10 RADs?

Spread it all along the western shoreline and it is dilutes to tenths or hundredths of a millirem.
    OMG ... really?

Got any old style Coleman lantern wicks? How about kiln dried ceramic plates? Or fly over the Rockies? or stay in Denver for a week?

You will get more exposure from that than debris from Fukishima, especially 4 years later and after spending 4 years being washed by sea water.

Quick .. everyone ... start stocking up on KI!!!!!!!

The volumes of misinformation, out of context quotes, half-truths and just blatant lies fuels the hysteria.

Nuke power is a complicated subject when attempting to explain just how "harmless" it is. When the word "nuclear" shows up, the first image in the brain is this ...

easy_buster_cropped.jpg

It's sad really ...

Want some hard facts?

~30% of Texas' power now comes from wind generation.
    ~20% comes from nuclear.

Now if I were a terrorist and wanted to take out the grid, what part of the infrastructure would I attack?
    Heavily armed and walled nuke or a group of whirly birds sitting in a field in BFE?

Waterford is about 20 miles north of New Orleans. It was shut down because of Katrina, but was restarted a week later when power lines OUT were repaired.

Wolf Creek was flooded last year by torrential rains in Kansas.

ft-calhoun-flooded.jpg

It was up and running a few weeks later.

I could go on, but here is a listing over the last decade of how US nukes have faired in bad weather ...

Nuclear Energy Institute - Through The Decades History Of Us Nuclear Energy Facilities Responding To Extreme Natural Challenge

So please ... everyone ... don't get caught up in the hype and hysteria because there's a "nuke" in the neighborhood.

If the opportunity arises, please watch "Pandora's Promise".

https://www.youtube.com/movie?v=EdjvSmgzRKU

Last edited:

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    mitchntx, I never said that it could be harmful to the degree that the crazy environmentalists are saying. Just that it has the "slight possibility of being radioactive". I was a submariner for 6 years in the Navy. I know how dangerous nuclear radiation can be and the levels that pose a risk.

pgwFJqx.png

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Got a link or reference to that? I am sure some of our members in Bay City area could chime in also on that.

Never heard anything of the sort growing up in Bay City and never received any KI while living there. Whether the city officials hold any in reserve is beyond my knowledge but doubtful.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

Top Bottom