• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was reading something about protection rounds, and he was really dogging the 147 gr. 9mm.

Is there any research that backs any of this up?

I didn't really think that the nice brands would use an inferior bullet (like hydrashocks and brass blazers).

What do yall think?
    Hurley's Gold

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Here's a nice comparison of several different calibers and bullet weights. As you can see the 147 gr. 9mm has the deepest penetration of all the rounds tested.
    ballisticsss3.jpg

I don't see how he could say it's significantly worse than the lighter 9mm rounds. I'd have to hear his reasoning. I practice and worry more about shot placement than some "expert's" opinion that a 147gr. 9mm won't stop someone.

dadoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    9mm 147gr HS

I bought some Federal 9mm 147gr HS rounds from Ammunition To Go, at a really good price I might add.

I was looking forward to sending some rounds downrange from my Kahr CW9. At 7 yds, performance was good and I kept a pretty good grouping (good for me, anyway). I was also shooting my RIA compact .45 with regular 230 FMJ. I moved the target out to 10 yds and the .45 was fine, but with the 9mm I could hardly keep the rounds on the paper. Not sure where they were going, but not on the target! I don't usually have this kind of trouble with the 9mm. I was switching back and forth between the two guns and the .45 was right on target but the 9mm was outta there
    I have used 124gr HP rounds without problems, but the 147gr was very disappointing. I'll go back to 124 and sacrifice a bit of punch for more control.

Top Bottom