• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader_73

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have a .17 HMR, but the .17 WSM looks enticing. The ammo seems more readily available. Wondering if anyone out there has one and what are your thoughts on it?
    ARJ Defense ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have a savage. Wonderful gun to shoot. I really had no intention to buy one when the opportunity came up, but the price was too good to pass up. Glad I did. I prefer shooting it to .22 mag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Crusader_73

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have a savage. Wonderful gun to shoot. I really had no intention to buy one when the opportunity came up, but the price was too good to pass up. Glad I did. I prefer shooting it to .22 mag.

Does it shoot longer range than the HMR or do you have a reference? I know what the reviews say, but I'd prefer the everyday shooter's opinion to someone getting paid to say something.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If I had to shoot both past 150, I prefer the WSM. With a heavy barrel. Actually need to do more shooting with mine to give a better answer. With a better scope.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'll preface this my saying .17 rimfire is a sweet little gun in any of the 3 offerings.

First observation that might not fully agree with the OP's premise:
    17 HMR ammo is on every dealer's table at the last show. Multiple makers and weights.
    17 WSM seems, to to be way more limited.

I have a Savage 17 HMR and it is a marvelous little rifle. Some ammo is sub-MOA. Worst is 1.5-1.75 MOA. Out of a light rimfire that is just wonderful.

A buddy has a Savage 17 WSM and he's frustrated at our last outing because it was shooting rarely better than 2-3 inch groups with the 2 types of ammo we had.
    Quite frustrating but if you google "17 WSM accuracy" a lot of unhappy stories are posted, but to be fair a lot of shooters are quite satisfied with their results.

Finally...a sad finally....I'd dearly love to have seen the 17 HM2 be a success. It's a necked down 22lr. The 17 HMR is based on a 22 magnum RF and the 17 WSM, I'm recalling, is a necked down .25 cal nail gun brass casing.
    The 22 HM2 was fantastically accurate out of the Remington 504 I used to own. It's an already obsolete cartridge that simply lost out to the flatter 17 HMR.

Some of you may unhappily disagree but I suspect the 17 HMR is the sweet spot and I'll predict that the 17 WSM will quietly fade away eventually.
    I hope I'm wrong, as I like diversity and choices but there is my prediction.

Shoot the WSM and relate your experiences to us.
    Hopefully it won't go the way of my gorgeous little perfect, yet obsolete ,Remmy 17HM2!! :(

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a 17HMR that I have taught all my kids to shoot with a scope on. Its crazy accurate. My 11 yr old at the time daughter shot a group you could cover with a dime at 50 yds, and a quarter sized group at 100 yds. Its VERY accurate.

BrandonP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    Mt. Pleasant

Do you ever do any hunting with the .17? I'm curious how big of game they can take down. I've heard of people hog hunting with them.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom