• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    I picked this up at the gunshow last weekend.marlin 357 mag 18.5 inch barrel with ballard rifling.
    I ordered in a lee 158 gr RF bullet mold from midway and well it feeds this bullet smooooth..
    range report when the winds let up some.
    pete

1894C002.gif

158RF001.gif
    Target Sports

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Very nice!

I have an earlier version with a smooth stock and no crossbolt safety. I also have one with a 20" barrel in 44 mag.

If you ask me, I think the 1894s in 44 and 357 are some of the best and most versatile leverguns Marlin makes. You can load them hot and go after deer or pigs or load them with light lead cowboy loads and let the kiddos shoot with little noise an no recoil.

For some odd reason, I have found that my 44 mag is more accurate than my 357. Probalby because I have experimented with bullet selection alot more on the 44mag version (because I have owned it longer). I probably have not found the bullet that the 357 94 "likes."

Both of my Marlin 94s have micro-groove rifling, but I bought them with hunting in mind and using jacketed bullets for serious work. Still, the 44 mag version throws a 44Spl 200 grain lead bullet pretty well, accuracy-wise.

With the 357, the Hornady LeverRevolution ammo ought to give it plenty of "oomph." You can probably handload something even hotter and the Marlin will stand up to it.

Great rifles...I have four Marlin leverguns (357, 44mag, 30-30 and 22lr) and would easily buy a fifth!

- brickboy240

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    now you need a 45/70 to go with those pea shooters;).I have killed several deer with my 94 in 44 mag bloom flop and it was a micro-groove.with cast you just have to cast them fat to get them to shoot.
    this 357 has a ballard rifling type barrel and thats the main reason I bought it.if it was a micro-groove I would have pasted.as a avid handloader/caster almost all my loads are cast.with the prices today I can shoot this marlin cheaper than a 22lr.there isn't anymore "cheap" ammo out there now.if your not handloading your paying big bucks.
    pete

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I have the same rifle and have had it for years. Great rifle that just gets better with age. Been my truck rifle and never let me down.

I picked this up at the gunshow last weekend.marlin 357 mag 18.5 inch barrel with ballard rifling.
    I ordered in a lee 158 gr RF bullet mold from midway and well it feeds this bullet smooooth..
    range report when the winds let up some.
    pete

1894C002.gif

158RF001.gif

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have the Guide Gun in .45-70 and am VERY satisfied with it. 340gr (linotype) bullets at 2100 will take anything in North America. Now all you need is a receiver mounted peep sight.

Darkwind

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Houston
    that is a seriously sweet POW (Piece of Weapon)

I LOVE caliber interchangeability. I'd pair that carbine up with a Redhawk or Python, then just carry a single caliber for both

Top Bottom