• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Even if they do overturn the current language, the real problem in NJ is that the decision to issue a carry license, an FOID as well as a pistol purchase permits ultimately rests on the local CLEO. If you are not politically or socially connected you have almost no chance of getting either. More so a carry license and a pistol permit, then the FOID card, but all still a real PITA to get if you don't "know someone". That's why it kills me when NJ is stated in the media as a state that issues a Concealed Carry license. Yes technically they do, but really... it's almost unheard of. I know alot of people there, many of them gun owners, and I still have yet to even hear about even one of them knowing someone with one.

There are 32,000 permits in a NJ, the population is close to 9 million
    There are 540,000 permits in TX with a population of 26 million

EDITED- My math was way off!!!

Last edited:

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    There are 540,000 permits in TX with a population of 26 million

No, your math is not right. That comes out to 2% of the population. No wonder the open carry and campus carry legislation isn't going anywhere. For all the hype about guns in texas that is a pretty pathetic showing.

FWIW, Florida is sitting over 5% with 1,100,000+ permit holders in a state of 19 million and is a swing state.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No, your math is not right. That comes out to 2% of the population. No wonder the open carry and campus carry legislation isn't going anywhere. For all the hype about guns in texas that is a pretty pathetic showing.

585,000 at end of 2012.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/reports/ActLicAndInstr/ActiveLicandInstr2012.pdf

Cost and training is a big deterent, I got a VA permit for $50 and no prints, no training, no photo. Short form and 2 weeks later it was mailed to me.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

FWIW, Florida is sitting over 5% with 1,100,000+ permit holders in a state of 19 million and is a swing state.

My bad!!! LOL!! I was a bit over zealous with my zeros, huh?? I'm actually surprised then.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Cost and training aside. I view it as registering. Not gonna do it.

ATF has already been busted/admitted to amassing copies of all the 4473s, the NSA knows every credit card transaction and website you visit. Not that I agree with the hoops you have to jump through to get a permit, but letting them know you have a gun shouldn't be a worry at this point.

Sad to say things like that and be factual, not conspiratorial about it.

Iamntxhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    The US Constitution states in very simple and straightforward language. Shall not be infringed. I will not sit down, I will not be quite and I will not disarm. People better start standing on principal or learn to live on their knees. It really is that simple, either you believe in the constitution or you don't.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    ATF has already been busted/admitted to amassing copies of all the 4473s, the NSA knows every credit card transaction and website you visit. Not that I agree with the hoops you have to jump through to get a permit, but letting them know you have a gun shouldn't be a worry at this point.

Sad to say things like that and be factual, not conspiratorial about it.

The NSA could probably give two shits about legal gun owners as of now per their own interests (can't speak for certain favors they've done for federal LEA's, but those are case-by-case). As of now, NSA is still largely preoccupied with finding foreign "terrorists", though that could very well change as the US's global strategic defense focus shifts less heavily toward the Middle East and more so toward the Pacific (not much for them to do with the shift toward Africa).

The ATF on the other hand, I would definitely watch out for in terms of some shady practices.

Top Bottom