• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    I don't know if you've considered CZs, but the ergonomics are very much like 2011s. A CZ Shadow-2 optics ready will tick all of your boxes, while an SP-01 will tick all but a factory cut for optics and be cheaper. I would imagine you can take them down one-handed if you had something to push the slide stop mounted on your bench. Barrel length is 4.9 inches or so, so may be larger than you want.
    Hurley's Gold

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The CZ-75 Series, and clones are an awesome platform. They are also incredibly difficult for me to field strip and re-assemble one handed. Static spring pressure when pulling, and re-inserting the take down pin/slide release lever is too much for me to be able to control without pieces parts going flying.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    Makes sense. I wonder, if on a platform that uses a takedown pin like 1911/2011 or CZ, you could get a machinist to build a replacement takedown pin that's a combination between a chicago screw and the 2 part pin used on the swd m11/9 (and probably other MAC variants). The inner piece could come in from the right and act like a locating pin, while the left could be tapered a bit on the end to make placing it in easier, then once set, the right side screwed a few turns in to hold in place.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Could you get a smith to build a custom gun for you on a Caspian frame? They make double stack 9mm 1911's. Otherwise I think Staccato would be my choice.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    The OP has very specific requirements for the guide rod assembly and recoil spring. He was specifically looking for the captive recoil spring assembly with the ability to trap the spring under tension like the old STI's or Springfield bull barrel versions.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Now you're getting rid of the one criteria he had for the captive recoil spring. He needs the clip or pinhole so it can be disassembled and reassembled one handed.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    The OP has very specific requirements for the guide rod assembly and recoil spring. He was specifically looking for the captive recoil spring assembly with the ability to trap the spring under tension like the old STI's or Springfield bull barrel versions.

Well, we've confirmed I'm an idiot and let that slip my mind between reading the OP and the next page, sorry.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I recently bought a CZ Shadow 2 Orange. It is probably the most accurate factory pistol I have ever owned. And I have owned a few hundred during my life. It is a little heavy, which makes recoil almost non existent. It is super well made as well.
    My first five shots at 10 yards were the size of a quarter. Not bad for a fellow who just turned 73 in March. Yes they are called Orange for a reason. I was going to add a photo, but the website keeps kicking it back.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    It seems like anything with a metal guide rod and a plug could easily be drilled to use the STI paperclip takedown method, no?

Since I already know the answer to this, I'll just ask that you research the question you just asked here. When you do get that answer, you'll understand why I'm asking for what I'm asking for.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    It seems to be a commonly suggested fix for people having issues taking down a 1911 with a full length guide rod. You have an interesting problem, I generally enjoy finding solutions for those.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    It seems like anything with a metal guide rod and a plug could easily be drilled to use the STI paperclip takedown method, no?

On my two Ed Browns I used to have, and on a Dan Wesson - I used this. IT is awesome:

Getting the spring on it and the cap captured the very first time is a pain. After that - wow, it makes disassembly SO damn easy with a bushing 1911.

This will not work on a Springfield 1911, because Springfield put a "shoulder" inside of the slide, and the spring cap will not come out of the rear - only out the front. I talked to Springfield about this over a decade ago, and that what they told me. You'd have to get the slide machined in order to use the tool-less guiderod on a Springer.

On a 1911 with a bull barrel, I prefer those. It is so easy to just clip tiny pieces of a paperclip, and slide that thru the hole.

Top Bottom