1911 22lr Conversion

Cowboygunsmith45

Apr 14, 2009
Alvin
Does anyone own one or have any experience with them?? Id like to get one but am looking for some feedback before i spend 200+ !!

Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
Texas Panhandle
There's a similar post somewhere on the forum, but here goes.
I have a Marvel conversion that I use for Bullseye matches. Very accurate, but the slide does not lock back on the last shot. Uses Colt .22 Conversion mags. You can get decent after markets from MetalForm. I shoot std velocity target ammo out of mine with no problems.

Advantage Arms is making a similar unit where the slide will lock back.

I also have a Colt Conversion Unit (hard to find now and expensive). It has a floating chamber to approximate the recoil of a std .45 ACP. Requires the use of plated ammo or else the floating chamber will lead up.

I've heard good and bad on the Ciener conversions. They have been around quite a while and seem to work.

No experience with the Kimber unit, but they look like they should work just fine. They use a different magazine IIRC.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
Mar 17, 2008
Dallas Texas or so
Kimber does not make their conversion, neither does Wilson. I have forgotton who makes them.

To my knowledge, Advantage is the only one that locks back in current production. It has a steel insert to protect the aluminum slide and a longer slide stop to hit the mag follower.

Marvel makes the highest rated ones and they are pricey.

I have a Kimber that resides semi-permanently on a Colt frame made in 1919. It never ran well on my Kimber but works fine with the Colt.

Generally they don't like the value pack ammo. CCI mini mags or other high velocity ammo seems to work best. Mine on the Colt doesn't care.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
Does anyone own one or have any experience with them?? Id like to get one but am looking for some feedback before i spend 200+ !!
If you find one for $200, it'll likely be made out of recycled milk jugs in Taiwan. :p I think you'll find the good ones will start in the $300 range. I watch used ones sell for that +.

T's C6

Mar 31, 2009
DFW
I have a Colt conversion that I put on an Essex frame and I love it, it does not like all ammo but it does kick like my 45 target loads.

popo22

Feb 1, 2009
.22 conversions

I was considering a conversion for a while but found that I could buy a Ruger MkIII, 22/45 as cheap or less than a good quality conversion kit and I don't have to convert one of my 1911's. It has the same "grip angle" but is a little thinner in the grip and with a different trigger set up. Maybe a worthwhile consideration. Good Luck.

Top Bottom