• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    There's a similar post somewhere on the forum, but here goes.
    I have a Marvel conversion that I use for Bullseye matches. Very accurate, but the slide does not lock back on the last shot. Uses Colt .22 Conversion mags. You can get decent after markets from MetalForm. I shoot std velocity target ammo out of mine with no problems.

Advantage Arms is making a similar unit where the slide will lock back.

I also have a Colt Conversion Unit (hard to find now and expensive). It has a floating chamber to approximate the recoil of a std .45 ACP. Requires the use of plated ammo or else the floating chamber will lead up.

I've heard good and bad on the Ciener conversions. They have been around quite a while and seem to work.

No experience with the Kimber unit, but they look like they should work just fine. They use a different magazine IIRC.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Kimber does not make their conversion, neither does Wilson. I have forgotton who makes them.

To my knowledge, Advantage is the only one that locks back in current production. It has a steel insert to protect the aluminum slide and a longer slide stop to hit the mag follower.

Marvel makes the highest rated ones and they are pricey.

I have a Kimber that resides semi-permanently on a Colt frame made in 1919. It never ran well on my Kimber but works fine with the Colt.

Generally they don't like the value pack ammo. CCI mini mags or other high velocity ammo seems to work best. Mine on the Colt doesn't care.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Does anyone own one or have any experience with them?? Id like to get one but am looking for some feedback before i spend 200+ !!

If you find one for $200, it'll likely be made out of recycled milk jugs in Taiwan. :p I think you'll find the good ones will start in the $300 range. I watch used ones sell for that +.

T's C6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    DFW
    I have a Colt conversion that I put on an Essex frame and I love it, it does not like all ammo but it does kick like my 45 target loads.

Cowboygunsmith45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Alvin
    ok well instead of buying a conversion kit i just bought a new gun!!

1911 Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless 9mm

PX9130L.jpg

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    .22 conversions

I was considering a conversion for a while but found that I could buy a Ruger MkIII, 22/45 as cheap or less than a good quality conversion kit and I don't have to convert one of my 1911's. It has the same "grip angle" but is a little thinner in the grip and with a different trigger set up. Maybe a worthwhile consideration. Good Luck.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I have a Ciener , and it functions quite well if you keep it clean. The nice thing about a conversion is you can use the same leather. Grip and trigger is the same and about the same weight. Great training and practice aid, not to mention the price of ammo, which has gotten crazy as well. I was at the Dallas Market Hall show last weekend and the cheapest I could find was federal bulk hollow points at 25 a brick. I refuse to pay that. Fortunately I still have about 3 bricks put away.

Top Bottom