• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    New to the forums. Glad to have found this site!!

Just wanted to get a few thoughts on buying a 1911 in the Houston area. I have around $800 to spend +- $100 but with the changes in prices lately don't want to get ripped off. Saw a Springfield Mil Spec stainless at Carter's on Saturday for around $770 but it was gone on Sunday when I decided to go get it.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Target Sports

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Have you considered ordering online? TGA seems to have some pretty good pricing:

[url]http://www.tacticalgunarmory.com/Loaded_and_Trophy_Match_Models_s/254.htm[/URL]

Carters is going to be on the high to very high end of the price range. You might consider hitting a gun show (next one is May 16-17 at Reliant). Also, give Spectre Firearms on Spring-Cypress a call to see what they have in stock...I have seen some pretty good pricing on the lower-end Kimbers there (<$900), and they do carry Springfield.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    Have you considered ordering online? TGA seems to have some pretty good pricing:

[URL="http://www.tacticalgunarmory.com/Loaded_and_Trophy_Match_Models_s/254.htm"][url]http://www.tacticalgunarmory.com/Loaded_and_Trophy_Match_Models_s/254.htm[/URL][/URL]

Carters is going to be on the high to very high end of the price range. You might consider hitting a gun show (next one is May 16-17 at Reliant). Also, give Spectre Firearms on Spring-Cypress a call to see what they have in stock...I have seen some pretty good pricing on the lower-end Kimbers there (<$900), and they do carry Springfield.

Thanks a bunch TXSUT. I haven't ever bought one on-line. May have to look into it. The prices look much better.

Castrolr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    if you have any amount of patience, you could order an STI Spartan from Brazos customs.. their prices are very good

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't know a whole lot about 1911's but I do know a little. Look into a torus or a Para ordnance I have put a few mags threw a para 1911 it shot very well. I think both are well within you're price range.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The Springfields are good quality guns. My suggestion is to look for a "Loaded" model. It has a lot of good features including better sights than the Mil Spec. You should be able to find in your price range. Also the TRP is a nice 1911, although I think it's just a tad overpriced new. Buy you might find a gently used one in your price range. Another thought is the Dan Wessons. Those would be around $1000.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Spectre Firearms in Spring has a Springfield Stainless MilSpec for $599 right now, I am also contemplating selling my Para SSP in stainless.....

dadoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Rock on

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would encourage you to look into the Rock Island Armory 1911's. They come in a variety of sizes (full size, mid-size or compact) and a host of styles from standard mil-spec to full tactical, even a hi-cap version.
    Here are my two:
    CS (compact) model
    therock.gif

FS (full size) 2tone:
    two-tone.gif

And the kicker is, the CS was under 400.00 and the full size was under 500.00
    Great guns at a great price. Check some of your local gun shops or the next big gun show, or order on-line from Sarco, or GunBroker or other sites.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I've only been able to see them online. None of the shops I've been to close to Kingwood has them. I may wait until the big show May 16 so I can compare them all.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I bought an STI Ranger II from Talon Arms here in Houston. Great people to deal with. Also, there is a little shop on Hwy 6 and Clay Rd. That quoted me 775.00 on a Kimber Pro Carry and around 800.00 on a Springfield Loaded Champion. The name of it is A Gun Shop.

STI2.jpg

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    In your price range, I would look for used.
    You should be able to get a nice SA Loaded, even a TRP for that much if you work at it.

I saw a Dan Wesson PM7 recently for under 800 used. DW makes about 3600 or so pistols a year. They are pretty much hand built and have the best factory trigger that I have run accross. Better than my Wilson or my Baer. Almost as good as my C&S ignition that I put in my 1911 Colt.

STI also has a great factory trigger and STI is made here in Texas. I have a 9mm trojan that is smooth as silk.

I buy most of mine used but I do know how to check them out first. I've only been shooting them 50 years (still learning).

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Do a google search for Hilton Yam. He is a wise man, and has alot of good info on the 1911.

I would stay away from a Para Ord.

Springfield makes some good 1911's, and have one heck of a customer service department. You would not regret getting a Loaded model.

As far as how triggers feel, I like the factory triggers on Springfields over factory triggers on the Kimbers.

STI makes some paper shredding pistols, but I haven't been in a class with one that didn't mind being dirty. Kimbers don't mind getting dirty as much as STIs, but they are still keep me clean as heck guns.

I do suggest searching for articles on the 1911, and doing research.

Rock Island does make a sturdy gun. I have seen catastrophic failure tests on them in many articles, and never seen one bit the big one. I just don't like their fit and finish.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    Well, I ordered a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec (not the GI one) in stainless. If all goes well I'll have it in 7-10 days. I'll post a picture if all goes well.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Awesome! I think you made a great choice. I am sure you will be happy with it. If you are not, I am sure Springfield will make you happy! Can't wait to see pics.

Top Bottom