• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    My next purchase is going to be one of these classic American firearms.

Should I risk the wrath of wifey and drop almost $1,300 on a Texas made quality STI Trojan knowing full well it will hold it's resale value if the need arises?

OR

Should I pick up a basic Rock Island, Tisas, or Auto Ordinance for under $550?

The primary use will be range time and home defense.

Does anyone have good or bad things to say about the 3 lower priced brands I have narrowed it down to?

Thanks as usual for any input you might be able to offer.

MK

Sent from an undisclosed location.
    ARJ Defense ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Purchased an Auto Ordnance/Kahr made 1911A1.
    Out of the box it was a dog. Many FTE and FTF.
    Replaced the factory mag(junk)right off. This helped.
    Had to tune the extractor.
    Had Vandenburg polish up ramp and internals.
    Gun ran fine with full power 230gr RNFMJ. Would NOT run with HP's.
    Front sight came off. Had to get it replaced.
    Would not buy another.

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    I've got an Auto Ordnance I bought new 20+ years ago. Has always run perfectly. I abuse the hell out of it. I did polish the feed ramp, though.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    STI has the best customer service, hands down. With sub $1k, and even some $1k+ 1911's, it's pretty common to get factory parts that are not fitted properly, do not have proper tension, etc. like the extractor, slide stop, mag release, and ejector. So with any sub $1k 1911, it's a gamble whether you get a good one out of the box. If you don't, you might need anywhere from $50-200 in good quality parts as well as some fitment to get it running properly, provided the frame and slide are not way out of spec and beyond hope. OR, you could buy an STI, and if you have problems like an extractor that isn't properly fitted, doesn't have enough tension, etc. and you start having malfunctions out of the box, send it in and they will fix it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Rock Island is a very solid pistol for the money. I have not used STI, but heard good things. My first RIA, good to go. My second had a bad ejected. I was told 3 I would get it back 3 weeks after they got it but had it back in my hands in 2 1/2. New ejected, reliability tune up, polished feed ramps, and all new Wolf springs. Shoots anything I put in it more accurately than my full size. Wonderful pistol and fabulous customer service. The others I honestly have no experience with. Hope it helps. Sig does have more experience with more brands than me though.

from an non-recovering coffeeholic

bino1219

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2013
    +1 for STI, have colt and kimber, STI trojan for around 1200 way better than does two

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I've been looking at purchasing another 1911 myself and have been debating on whether the STI is worth the extra $$$. I really like my Sig RCS and after replacing the MIM parts with Wilson Combat bulletproof parts, the price was still well under the STI I was looking at originally. Sig CS is amazing too... Is the STI that much better than a well-tuned Sig? Why? I have a Seiko SKZ255 and an Omega Seamaster- guess which one is a more accurate timepiece? I'm all for buying the best quality that one can afford, but it's not like the STI is made from some proprietary space alloy or can fold away into credit card size.. I'm just saying...

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Thanks for all the great thoughts.

I will keep the debate going in my head for the next several days.

I know the smart play is the Rock Island, but damn those STIs are nice. And like I stated in the OP resale value could be important should SHTF financially around the homestead.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks for all the great thoughts.

I will keep the debate going in my head for the next several days.

I know the smart play is the Rock Island, but damn those STIs are nice. And like I stated in the OP resale value could be important should SHTF financially around the homestead.

Like if you get a divorce for spending the money on the STI?

J/k.

I say get the STI. If you are only going to have one, make it a good one. Not that the others aren't good, but the STI is in a different league.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I have had 6 rocks loved them all . Very good guns.
    But the next one i buy will be a sti, or iffin i save a little more.
    A baer. Brown or have one coustom built. But a rock is a solid gun

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Bash me a bit for buying something from the "Freedom" Group, but I picked up a Remington 1911R1 Enhanced. The only thing "wrong" with it out of the box, was the recoil spring plug was gently kissing the barrel lugs. A couple swipes with a file on the plug cleared that right up. It's smooth, tight, and runs really well. I've fed it lightweight hollowpoints, reman ball ammo, everything but steel case so far without a single stoppage. As for accuracy, I'm sure it performs better than my current shooting abilities, but it sure is fun putting as many rounds as you care to through a single fuzzy hole from 10 yards back.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I know that there are LOTS of 1911 brands out there and I appreciate the other brand suggestions.

If I am going to go almost "all in", I want to support a Texas company, hence the STI. Baers, Wilson, etc. are completely out of the range at the moment.

If I am going "budget", I want something plain that will go bang every time.

I am leaning towards the Rock Island at the moment, but will decide by the end of the week.

I will be better able to justify the Rock, if it comes down to it.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I have an STI Trojan in 9x19 and it is a very good gun. You might also consider the Springfield Range Officer. At around $700-750 they are a great value and made in the US from the Brazilian frame and slide. As opposed to just imported.

Top Bottom