• kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Now dont get me wrong. I had rocks loved em all. But now,
    I own a springer, a better gun? Yep tween the rocks and springr?
    Springer all day
    Gun Zone Deals

cpmack1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    San Antonio, Tx
    I have a pre Kahr Auto Ordinance 1911... I bought it modified... has a Viet Nam era colt barrel, modified trigger & hammer, polished ramp, Wilson combat sites front and rear and Wilson mags, and an aftermarket compensator, 18lb return spring in place of the 12lb one, etc... basically the only thing Pre-Kahr Auto Ordinance original was the slide and frame... everything else appears to have been replaced. IT SHOOTS GREAT, and have had no issues at all... Paid 400 flat for it, thanks partly because everyone said the Pre-Kahr AO's were crap. But in the final test... IT WASN'T crap, it is a great gun...
    So I guess it depends on HOW much you want to spend, and the gun itself. If you find one you like, cheap or not, take it to the range, put 50 to 100 or so rounds thru it, and if you like it, then make your decision. That's what I did. Got lots of advice and WARNINGS on the AO 1911 I bought, and to tell you the truth, its one of the best Semi Auto Pistols I've ever had, and quite accurate at 25 yards.
    Just my two bits. Good luck

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    The information on this post has been quite informative. . . only making the decision harder.

Seriously though, thanks for all the great input. I hope I am not the only one who has gained from this discussion.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    This is mine its my edc. The springer is mabye a hundred more, mabye one fifty.
    Id go springer. Adj trigger, 18# recoil, runs like a dream

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Texas made quality STI Trojan...

Rock Island, Tisas, or Auto Ordinance for under $550?

The Rock or the STI - Auto Ordnance is crap, always has been, and Tisas right now is unknown. STI is local and makes excellent 1911s and stand behind their products - Rock Island is rougher but their distributors in NV have excellent service if anything goes wrong. My own RIA Tactical has almost 42,000 rounds through it now and is still tight; I run CMC Powermags in mine.

Springfield is very good, but if you're getting it for any combat purpose, try to stick to fixed sights, not the adjustable range toys.

Kimber - you couldn't give me one.

Last edited:

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I'm probably dating myself, but I'll take a Colt any day. Colt is now making the best 1911 in a generation; they're financially sound with their union issues long since settled. All 1911s are hand-fitted during assembly. After that all guns are test-fired. The frame, slide and critical parts are still machined steel. Colt sells every 1911 they build. I have several, compete with them and carried one in Iraq. Here's a new Colt National Match Gold Cup that is a superb performer out of the box. You can find one for around $1100.00.
    Bob

DSC_1618_zpse9b854e9.jpg

DSC_1715_zps8af30743.jpg

DSC_1622_zps36f02081.jpg

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    If you read up on your 1911 history, you will find that from the late 60s until Colt's recent commitment to improve their quality control [circa 2012]; they built to Mil-Specs. This make a good combat gun, but it left the civilian market looking for gunsmiths to make their guns shoot better. That is why Kimber, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, etc arrived on the scene.
    I hate the Series 80 guns. That was Colt's chicken sh#t way out of potential legal situations. Springfield and most other quality manufactures found ways to make their guns safe without that damn plunger. Don't get me wrong. I like Colts. In fact I own three Colt 1911s. The Colt 1911s made since 2012 are some of the best 1911s Colt has produced in over 50 years. Series 80 guns included.
    I hear a lot of guys sing the praises of the STI 1911s. I own a STI Trojan in 9mm. It is not a well made 1911. The machining is very crude and rough. I have tried every mag combination on the market and the damn slide will not stay open after the last round.
    I use a simple way to judge a guns quality. When I go into a gun store I look at the guns that are on the shelves. There are usually Kimbers, and Sigs, Rock Islands, and maybe a Remington or Ruger. Up until this year you rarely saw a Springfield or Colt. They get sold as soon as they hit the store. I saw some comments concerning the Springfield Range Officer. I bought one when Cabela's opened in Allen a few years ago. It is the best "out of the box" 1911 I have ever owned. It was accurate from round one and it would feed my 200 gr. LSWC bullets, which most 1911s won't until you run 500 to 1,000 rounds through them. I am just not fond of the matte black finish. Other than that I give it a 10.
    I assume this response will generate some to consider me an equal to the Clippers owner. I base my opinions on ownership of over 200 1911s from various manufacturers over the past 45 years of use. I have owned expensive custom guns from Wilson Combat and Les Baer, as well as some $300 1911s. For quality, customer service, and accuracy I prefer Springfield 1911s.
    But again it comes down to what makes you happy and how much you want to spend. Shop around and choose carefully. Talk with gunsmiths who have hands on knowledge of 1911s.
    Don't let me or anyone else make your decision. I guarantee if you shop carefully you will be a 1911 guy for life.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Thanks OLDVET for your input. I will keep all that good info in mind when I make my purchase.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Get what you want but do what my son did. Told us all that if some day he doesn't make it home, please don't let his wife sell the weapons for what he told her he paid for them.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    This thread cost me some money tonight. I went to the range for IDPA practice and sitting there in the consignment shelf is a Spartan. For $550. Damn thing doesn't look like it has had a box of ammo run through it. I just couldn't let it sit there. Adjustable rear, fiber front, just perfect. I didn't need it, if I hadn't been in this thread I would have just walked past, but I didn't. Oh well, it looks nice sitting between the Rock and the Infinity. It shot nice also.

Top Bottom