Lynx Defense

1911 firing out of battery....anyone ever hear of this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    About the only way I'm thinkin' that could happen, is Everything in that 1911, including magazine was as loose as a two bit whore.

Been wrong before. And will be again.
    Texas SOT

JRH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    There is really no way for either the extractor of the ejector to touch the primer no matter how the cartridge "rolls".

Unless a .45 barrel is installed in a 9mm 1911 slide and frame and someone feeds it .45ACP. Then it might happen. Maybe.

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Wasnt that part of the test before the army put in the order?
    Hey what is the ejector? Oh same same extractor got it

Ejector is that thing you see in the back of your slide to the left of the slide stop that is on top of your left frame rail. Extractor is the round thing to the right of the slide stop on the back of the slide, but you probably knew this and i misread your post

:fireworks:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That is categorically impossible since the ejector is pinned to the frame and cannot "get closer" to a live round than where it is at the time that the round is stripped from the magazine. In other words, a live round is ALWAYS moving away from the ejector!

If he meant the "extractor" hit the primer as the slide was moving into battery, it seems to me that the deformity would have to be so great that previous spent shells would not have been extracted, thus indicating to most that there was a major malfunction issue with the weapon and to stop using it.

eta
    Here is an animation showing the stripped round coming up under the ejector and moving forward. Only the spent shell gets near the ejector later.
    http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Yes sir - that's why I called BS earlier. Range trolls???

Vern1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Pettytown, Texas US of A
    Yes, but we don't know ANY of the variables.
    What if it was a handload with a high primer or slightly kinked primer due to not removing the crimp?
    I know I had a few rounds hang up on the top edge of the firing pin hole while breakin in new 45s.

IF...and that's a big if, there was a small burr at the firing pin hole coupled with a high soft primer, it could be possible.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Anything is possible. I have seen many things happen that were impossible.

The conclusion in the OP may not be the correct explanation but I don't doubt that a 1911 (or any other firearm) can fire out of battery. I can fire a round that isn't even near a firearm.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Having worked in and around machines for my entire life, I say nothing is impossible when Murphy's Law is active. No offense is intended to anyone but chances of this happening as described are so remote that I need to raise the BS flag.

Then, again, my father was a doctor who became the County Coroner after he retired. He told me of an elderly man who woke up sick in the middle of the night and went into the bathroom to throw up. He passed out with his chin over the edge of the toilet and strangled to death on the rim.

ANYTHING is possible!

Flash

Last edited:

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I've never heard of a 1911 having an OBD.

Being set off by the extractor pulling it into the ejector? I doubt you could get the primer over to the ejector.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Actually, if the firing pin was stuck in its hole and protruding, it could fire out of battery.

Nah, that's still far fetched. If you're thinking it could do it while feeding, the stuck firing pin would likely be pushed back by the case lip sliding up from under it (go look at how a 1911 feeds), or completely bind up the gun.

At extraction the round is already spent.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Lightly polish the firing pin with 2000 grit auto sandpaper (wet), and replace the FP spring with a Wolf extra power spring. Clean the FP hole and breach face. Look for a burr in the hole while you are at it.

I bet if you look at your brass, from when this was happening, some would have drag marks on the primer from the FP not retracting.

Aaron, I know how a 1911 works been working on them for 50 plus years. This is not a common occurrence but it is not unheard of either. The rim can slide up the breach face with the FP stuck in the forward position enough to fire when the slide goes forward. If the FP was stuck as far out as it will go, then it would hand, but it doesn't go that far forward when a round is in the chamber. For some reason, the primer stops its forward movement.

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    As Army 1911 has stated, this is a rare occurrence. I was an armorer while I was in the Army. Worked on a lot of our 1911s among other weapons. In my opinion, if you keep a 1911 clean and oiled correctly they will do the job they were intended to do. Problems generally arise due to improper upkeep on the user's end.
    I have a Springfield "Loaded " 1911 that has over 30,000 rounds through it. I generally clean it after each use and change the springs as needed. Never had a problem with this gun.

Primers do not always stop the firing pin. I reloaded some .45 ACP a couple of years ago with Federal Match primers. The firing pin on any my 1911s would puncture them every time. Luckily the firing pin retracted fast enough so it didn't break or bend. It seems Federal made some very thin primers for awhile.

The great thing about a 1911 is you can easily swap out parts as needed to keep then in top condition. Everybody and their brother makes parts for the 1911.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Only thing I can think of that would allow the Extractor to set off a round would be if the round ended up at an angle with the primer exiting the ejection port as the slide was coming forward, but that would end with a lot of damage to the gun and possibly the shooter. The round would not be going down the barrel at that moment it would be going out the side of the slide.

Top Bottom