Lynx Defense

1911 gunsmith training at the hobbyist level ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    I'm looking for an in-person 1911 training class that'd be suitable to acquire a hobbyist level knowledge of the platform - something like the one day Glock Armorer's class, but I'd be interested in a multi-day course if it's what I'm looking for.

I DON'T want a class that includes building (and paying for) my own high end 1911 pistol - just a solid hands-on, instructor led class with room for Q&A, working on one of my own generic 1911s that I'd bring to the class.

If it's in or near Dallas, that'd be great.

Any suggestions?
    Guns International

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Murray State College in Oklahoma has summer programs that might meet your needs....

Not too far a drive form DFW

From summer 2016 courses:

They may well have the same course next summer 2017....

HTH

L.E.A.S. 1911 ARMORER: This four day course will
    provide updated armorer information and repair
    techniques for 1911 pistols. Routine maintenance,
    cleaning and repair processes will be emphasized.
    ( CLEET certified)
    Cost: $300 Instructor: John Tremblay

1911 CUSTOM (Builder): This five day course will
    cover all aspects of building a 1911 pistol from a bare
    frame and slide and fitting of all components. Students
    will be expected to know how to assemble &
    dissassemble a 1911 pistol. Precision filing and fitting
    will be a required skill. Machine shop skills will be
    required for machining slides for sight installation and
    ramps for ramped barrels. We can instruct you on how to
    machine the slide and frame as needed, but will not have
    time to do the work for you.
    Cost: $300 Instructor: Mike Watkins

2016 Summer Courses

Murray State Gunsmithing

Last edited:

texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Thanks for passing this along - I'm gonna have ton look into it further for 2017 courses - I could see going there for a class for a few days, LOL, and getting back into the old college vibe.

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Wilson Combat does a good 1911 'armorers' course. It is taught by Bill and Ryan Wilson so you know the info is good. Check out the Wilson Combat website for details...although they don't have their 2017 class dates up yet.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    A 1911 is a really complex weapon with many parts designed to work in harmony. You can't learn it in a day. You really can't scratch the surface in a day. What you can do is figure it out on your own. Start with a good 1911. Like a Rock island. Complete disassemble and reassemble. Then begin working on learning the relationship between parts. Two and a time and then three and four. Go slow and memorize how every part work with every other part. Then get something like a ambi safety from brownells and try to install it. See how it doesn't fit and slowly stone the surfaces to make it mate properly with your factory parts. Don't modify the factory parts. That way you only have a broken part and not a broken gun. Then replace more parts to trick out the gun.
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Get the Kuenhausen (spelling) books. Vol I and Vol 2 as a start. Read them. Get the Poyer book on building one. There are other publications including DVDs that would be useful as well. For building them, special tools are required or suggested for fitting various parts but most can be done with files and abrasives. For trigger work, stones and a sear jig such as the true radius jig will work. Also a squaring file for the hammer hooks.

Check with Brownell's for packages of 1911 tools that will work.

It is almost always cheaper to buy a complete 1911 than to build your own. Especially the first one.

That said, there are probably more hobbyists capable of doing good to great 1911 work than pros who do top shelf work.

Last edited:

texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Thanks for the guidance, guys - in addition to reaching out to Murray State College (no too far from me), I also reached out to Wilson Combat and I'm watching for their 2017 training schedule.

The books and DVDs and videos are good suggestion, and I have taken advantage of the wealth of information on uTube when I refinished a Springfield stainless 1911 - but I was really stumbling along - LOL, more luck than skill that I got it back together and it works as it should. While I like the uTube videos, as with anything on the internet, there's a wide variety of quality and visual quality (too dark, wrong angle, etc.) - so, I use all the resources, but I really like the FTF situations and classroom discussion.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Give the guys at The 1911 Academy in McKinney a call. Their number is 214-856-3976.
    They can arrange a hands-on 1911 class for you. it would focus on the disassembly, maintenance, modifications, and re assembly of your 1911. I have a bookshelf full of 1911 manuals, but if someone takes the time to give me hands on training, I learn much more.

I was a Company Armorer while I was in the Army over in Germany. My echelon level for 1911 repairs was limited to the slide area. I took Army training classes for the rest of the pistol, but Army regulations prevented me from working on the frame area. Of course I did anyway, but it could have resulted in an article 15 if I had botched something up. Our weapons had to be ready to go to war at a moments notice. Someone's life might depend on it. Last thing I wanted to happen was to botch something up and then we go play tag with the Russians who were marshaling tanks along the German border.

Give The 1911 Academy a try. They are good guys.

texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Thanks for the referral to the 1911 Academy - someone pointed me to a series of gunsmithing courses at Murray State College on OK - they have regular length courses during the regular school year, but in the Summer, they have one-week courses (http://www.mscok.edu/academics/departments/gunsmithing_technology.aspx) - I thought that the $300 charge for a one-week course was an outstanding value - as an added bonus, you can reserve a room in the dorm for $50 a night - the room even includes three meals in the cafeteria !!

RHT447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2016
    Hey OLDVET, if you don't mind my asking, when were you in Germany and who was your next echelon level for maintenance? I was in the Small Arms Shop at the 156th Maint. Co. '74 to '77.

Top Bottom