• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Due to a snag, I found out yesterday afternoon that my gun dealer is having difficulty in finding the pistol I want, and it could be several months before he's able to get one.

Now he was trying to get a brand new one, but for the purpose of the pistol, used in good condition would be fine.

Criteria: 1911 Government Model, single stack, in 38 Super. Would prefer blued finish, but others wouldn't be a deal breaker.

This pistol is going to customized, into an informal target pistol.

If you have one that might meet my needs, please reply and post pictures.

Thank you.
    DK Firearms

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    After some research, finding an lesser expensive 1911 in 38 Super is more difficult than I thought!

But another option is available for me. A couple of members have messaged me, and brought up the option of converting one in 9mm to 38 Super. This is looking like a viable option for me.

So now I have interest in acquiring a 1911 in 9mm. Would be interested in a decent used one.

Please reply here, or send me a PM would be okay.

Thanks.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Take a look at the TISAS made 9mm 1911 imported by SDS.
    They're right about $500 and are a pretty solid base model 1911.

Honestly I don't know why you're going the way you are. Don't over complicate.
    You're going to need a new barrel, barrel link, sights, slide sight slots milled, new barrel bushing, and mags. Mags start about $40 each.
    By the time you buy the base gun + all the new bits + pro gunsmith to put it all right = well over $1000. Not to mention the hassle of it all.
    You'll need a 1911 pro to assemble it all. The barrel link and bushing must be correctly done or the gun will suffer damage. The extractor and ejector must be adjusted as well.
    You can get a Colt Competition model in 38 Super for right about the same $ right off the shelf and be off and shooting.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Take a look at the TISAS made 9mm 1911 imported by SDS.
    They're right about $500 and are a pretty solid base model 1911.

Honestly I don't know why you're going the way you are. Don't over complicate.
    You're going to need a new barrel, barrel link, sights, slide sight slots milled, new barrel bushing, and mags. Mags start about $40 each.
    By the time you buy the base gun + all the new bits + pro gunsmith to put it all right = well over $1000. Not to mention the hassle of it all.
    You'll need a 1911 pro to assemble it all. The barrel link and bushing must be correctly done or the gun will suffer damage. The extractor and ejector must be adjusted as well.
    You can get a Colt Competition model in 38 Super for right about the same $ right off the shelf and be off and shooting.

I understand what you're saying, even going with a 38 Super, it's still going to be heavily modified.

Whether I start with the 38 or the 9mm, other than cleaning and oiling, it will not be worked on until I have put about a 1000 rounds through it.

This will allow me the time to decide on exactly what parts I want to change, or might have to be changed.

I'll have to get out my 1911 books again, but I have already done a few custom builds, so I'm confident that I can get the end result I'm going for.

I understand that yes, I will have as much, if not more than if I were to buy the Colt, but when I'm done, there won't be any like mine. Anyone can just go and buy the Colt.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I guess I'm not sure what you were looking for. Aren't you going to customize whatever you buy?

The slide on that would need to be milled for the type of sights that I would like to use. I don't have access to a milling machine like I did in the past, so that part I would like already done.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want, and I won't be happy until I get it like I want.

This isn't going to be a quick build. My last 1911 took over six months to customize.

I'm in no hurry!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The slide on that would need to be milled for the type of sights that I would like to use. I don't have access to a milling machine like I did in the past, so that part I would like already done.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want, and I won't be happy until I get it like I want.

This isn't going to be a quick build. My last 1911 took over six months to customize.

I'm in no hurry!
    Understood!

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Just an idea, when I couldn't find the 1911 in 9mm I wanted, I went with a frame up build.

Build is still in progress but parts wise I've only got about $400 invested in it.

Down side is by the end, I'll have that many hours in it as well.:clown:

Joat

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Joat,

I obviously have NO idea what you are building BUT a "bare 1911-style frame" & a 9x19mm parts kit (the last time that I looked) was LESS than 300.oo total.

IF a person has the time, expertise & money, you can easily put 2,000.oo plus into a pistol build.

That said, a NEW .38 Super handgun that would "suit most shooters" 100% can be bought for about 400.oo plus S&H.(Several months ago, J&G had new .38 Super pistols by RIA on "special sale" for 350.oo, plus S&H.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The Damascus slide upped the price and destroyed the savings from the psa 1911 frame... I upgraded a little:roflfunny:

Joat,

As I said, you can easily spend some SERIOUS MONEY building-up a 1911-style pistol.
    ("The Crazy Russian", a retired professor who lives about 5 miles on the other side of West Mountain from our family's "mountain lair", has well over 4000.oo in his "very fancy" & ornately engraved Colt's 1911 GM. = A friend said that he paid over 800.oo for the real gold & silver grip-panels alone.)

ADDENDA: In the long ago days/daze when I worked the Texas-Mexico border area, I made friends with a LT. of the State Judicial Police (He is now what a US department would call a retired Asst. Chief.) & before I rotated OCONUS again, I gave him my Colt's GM in .38 Super that he had LUSTED after.
    (When I returned to Texas, I saw my old duty pistol & Raoul had had it "fancied-up". = That is one truly GAUDY handgun for sure. = NOT to my taste but then I don't have to carry it.)
    "Ornately decorated" handguns" are VERY popular with police officers, south of the US border.
    Note: Raoul obviously did NOT hear LTG George Patton's comment about "Mother of Pearl" & bawdy houses.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Joat,

On the "plain Jane" end of the spectrum, BUD'S GUN SHOP has .38 Super RIA 1911-style pistols in stock for 450.oo.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom