• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I took my springfield 1911 custom shooting today.

With the slide locked back I insert the clip, hit the slip lock and when the slide slides forward the ammo jams. Some times I can push the slide forward and it loads all the way other times i have to pull the slide and load another. It did this a few times.

It also some times would jam while firing. I could push on the slide and it would fully load.

I was using blazer brass ammo and a brand new looking wilson clip.

And on some of the jams there was a dimple left on the bullut.from it jaming at the barrel.

I'm going to give it a good cleaning tomorrow and going over what else should i check.
    Capitol Armory ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is a fail to feed. It can be caused by a buildup of shooting residue or lack of lubrication, or both.

Also caused by magazines (clips are what hold your hair back)

You don't now if the magazine was new?

Did you try different ammo?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Also, are you sling shotting (pulling the slide back and releasing so full forward motion is realized) it or just releasing the slide stop? Sometimes using the slide stop doesn't have enough power to go into battery and chamber a round. Try sling shotting it and see what it does.

Also, Wilson mags are sometimes known to have weak springs. Wilson will replace the spring though. If you have another mag or one you can borrow, try it.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    A properly set up 1911 should not require sling shotting. The slide is held close enough to the "fully open' position that it should have plenty of energy to feed/chamber.

1st and always suspect the magazine. Try a different one.

Next is ammo. Was the Blazer Brass 230 FMJ? If so it was likely not the ammo.

Lastly look at the feed ramp. Just because the pistol says "Custom" does not mean it has a properly configured feed ramp. Does it have a "ramped" barrel, meaning is the feed ramp one piece and extends down into the frame or is it the traditional two piece with the frame being a part of the feed ramp? If it is ramped, that "should not" be the problem. If it is traditional, two part, field strip and put the barrel in the frame with the barrel ramp sitting on the frame ramp. There should be a very slight difference in the two and the barrel ramp should not over lap the frame ramp.

Find a good 1911 gunsmith or send it back to the factory.

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I'm going to get another clip this weekend at the saxet gun show. There is some gunk inside my current clip.

it's a 2 piece ramp. But I noticed alot of gunk on the frame ramp and I might have missed that when I did my last cleaning.

I have a short guide rod. it's only 1.5-2" long. Should I try upgrading to the long guide rod?

I'm going to give it a good lube job and see how she does.

Thanks for the help.

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    And at the range yesterday they sell dummy ammo that you can feed through your gun to simulate having a round in the chamber. Do you think it's worth trying to see if I can duplicate the issue?

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    The guide rod length probably has nothing to do with it.

Probably the magazine or MAYBE a lazy recoil spring.

First, try another magazine and make sure the ones you have are totally clean and have no dings or bent feed lips. Wilson 47D mags are usually VERY good, but if you get them super dirty or bend a feed lip - they can misfeed.

If the mag swap/cleaning did not work...try lightly polishing the feed ramp with some very fine crokus cloth and some Break Free. Again...GO EASY and do NOT use anything under 800 grit. Get it glass smooth.

If this does not work, try replacing the recoil spring with one that has maybe 2 pounds more strength. Don't go to nuts with the "extra power" springs some makers offer...those create a totally different problem. Your pistol COULD have been shipped with a lazy or slightly weak recoil spring that is just lazy enough to not bring the 1911 into battery. It happens! Recoil springs can be had from Wolff and are not expensive.

Any one or all of these "fixes" ought to get you running 100%. I am betting the mag swap/cleaning alone will do it. I run Blazer Brass hardball through my Colt Commander and Kimber TLE all the time and it runs 100%, so I really doubt its the ammo. The Winchester White box stuff is loaded a tad light and inconsistent but I have never expereinced powder puff loads in Blazer Brass. Stay away from Blazer alloy cased ammo - the light cases mess with the timing on some 1911s and can cause ejection jams. I get 50/50 performance out of Blazer alloys in my 4 1911s and can only run that stuff in the P220 SIG.

Good luck...your problem is minor and probably very fixable.

- brickboy240

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Are you shooting .45 ACP in a .45 Super modified 1911? Has the recoil spring been changed? If not, it is probably short stroking the slide. If it has been changed, then what pound rate spring did he put in it?

With a two-piece guide rod you probably want to run a 18.5# spring.

Clean and retest.

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I did swap in a 17 spring.

I cleaned my wilson clip and oiled it.

I did notice that the slide was sticking a little bit. I don't know what it's called but on the frame on top centered with the trigger there is a spring loaded pin that locks into a notch on the under side of the back side of the slide. I took it apart and cleaned up everything and used some better oil. I think it was the remington rem oil i used.

Everything seems to slide better and feels alot better. I will see how she shoots on saturday.

If I still have problems I might be looking for a local 1911 guru who want some range time on me to see whats up with my 1911.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    79f0c95b29aacbb0.jpg

The one on the left is a clip.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Thats the Schwartz Safety...yep...if you block or impede this little bugger on a Kimber...you can keep it from firing.

It might do you some good to read up on this safety, as it is qunique to Kimber and works off the grip safety.

Some people that were ham-fisted while putting their Kimbers back together, have sheared off the top of the safety, where it sticks up on the slide rails and this totally disabled their pistol from firing. Be careful taking it down and putting it back together. This is just one of those things you have to watch out for on Kimber Series II guns. Not the end of the world...but the more you know about it and be careful...the better your chances of not having problems.

- brickboy240

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I did notice that the slide was sticking a little bit. I don't know what it's called but on the frame on top centered with the trigger there is a spring loaded pin that locks into a notch on the under side of the back side of the slide. I took it apart and cleaned up everything and used some better oil. I think it was the remington rem oil i used.

That is the disconnector bar that the sear is pinned to. If that is sticking then you have something not moving in the trigger assembly.

I saw a Nickel plated Springfield have the same issue you are describing. It would stick, nearly completely frozen, at times and you'd have to beat it back into battery with your fist.

Something like that needs to be taken apart and looked over, or sent back to Springfield. Problem is, on a 1911 it's not exactly user friendly when you take them apart. Alot of parts, and alot of stuff to go missing.

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    It moves fine now. I don't think i put very much lube when I did the last cleaning. It feels really good now.

Alan, I see you in austin. This being my first 1911 could we meet up some time and you take a look at it. I'm still trying to figure out whats been done to it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It moves fine now. I don't think i put very much lube when I did the last cleaning. It feels really good now.

Alan, I see you in austin. This being my first 1911 could we meet up some time and you take a look at it. I'm still trying to figure out whats been done to it.

I'll be at Red's South from Friday to Sunday, all day. Bring it by.

Top Bottom