Patriot Mobile

1911, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Safe queens are like playboy models fun to look at and fantasize about.
    But I like mine like big girls warmed up rode hard and put away wet

Tejano1951

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Had a Wilson. Owned it for several years before I traded it in to offset the purchase of a Scar 17. Still have my Baer Comanche. Neither ever needed any repair. I admired the workmanship of my Wilson, but I never loved it. I would buy another Baer. The Brown 1911 style never has appealed to me enough to buy one.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I have owned several 1911s, including 2 Dan Wessons, 2 Ed Browns and 1 Springfield Custom Shop Gun (among other brands). My favorite of all of them was the Ed Browns. If I buy another 1911 at that level, I'll be buying another Ed Brown

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I've got a Wilson Combat Sentinel that has the smoothest trigger I've ever felt and breaks like glass. Almost as good is my Springfield Armory FBI model, and not far behind is the S&W Performance Center. For the money, the S&W wins at half the price of the others.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I've owned many brands of 1911's, and after trying several high end guns, I chose to order my Wilson Stainless Professional. I decided to order what I wanted with the particular bells and whistles and have never regretted my decision for almost 20 years and over 10,000 rounds. I carry it in a custom Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB holster with a custom IWB dual mag carrier. If I buy another it will be another Wilson. Here's mine.
    WPSAMagwell005.jpg

WPSAMagwell002.jpg

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Beautiful
    I've owned many brands of 1911's, and after trying several high end guns, I chose to order my Wilson Stainless Professional. I decided to order what I wanted with the particular bells and whistles and have never regretted my decision for almost 20 years and over 10,000 rounds. I carry it in a custom Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB holster with a custom IWB dual mag carrier. If I buy another it will be another Wilson. Here's mine.
    WPSAMagwell005.jpg

WPSAMagwell002.jpg
    beautiful

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    My vote would still go to a full custom gun - and that was my choice.

While it's not a 1911 I am recently playing with a very rare S&W Performance Center .45 Target Champion. Due to the slightly higher bore axis the recoil feels different but accuracy and ease of shooting is amazing .

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Baer, Wilson and Brown are more semi-customs or well fit production guns.

Look at guns from Gregg Derr, Chuck Rogers, Ted Yost, or Jason Burton. Harrison Design is good too.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have owned a Les Baer Premier II, a stainless Wilson Combat Classic, a Wilson two toned CQB, and a stainless Ed Brown.
    (See attached photo}.
    The Les Baer was the worst 1911 I have ever owned. It arrived with damaged bluing. I contacted the factory and was basically told to go fly a kite. Les himself even told me he had no time to deal with customer problems. He last words to me were "sell it if you don't like it, someone else will be glad to take it off your hands!" I did just that a few weeks later.
    When I pay close to $2,000 for something I expect to get good customer service. Not at Baer. At least not 10 years ago.
    His 1911s are also built to over tight tolerances. They tell you to shoot 500 rounds through your pistol before you attempt to take it apart for maintenance. I tried to take mine apart after only 200 rounds. The slide and barrel got wedged together partly open. It took a large rubber mallet and my bench vise to get them apart. No other "high dollar" 1911 I have ever owned was this way.
    Wilson Combat has a saying that goes something like this "we don't have to build them tight, we build them right".
    The Ed Brown was a good pistol, but I found the Wilsons more to my liking.
    All high dollar 1911s are great. I had to buy the three in the photo before I decided to keep the stainless Wilson Classic at the bottom. The other two pistol have gone on to other happy campers.
    DON'T BUY FROM Les Baer.

Attachments

• custom 1911 collection.jpg
      custom 1911 collection.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 66

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    I have owned a Les Baer Premier II, a stainless Wilson Combat Classic, a Wilson two toned CQB, and a stainless Ed Brown.
    (See attached photo}.
    The Les Baer was the worst 1911 I have ever owned. It arrived with damaged bluing. I contacted the factory and was basically told to go fly a kite. Les himself even told me he had no time to deal with customer problems. He last words to me were "sell it if you don't like it, someone else will be glad to take it off your hands!" I did just that a few weeks later.
    When I pay close to $2,000 for something I expect to get good customer service. Not at Baer. At least not 10 years ago.
    His 1911s are also built to over tight tolerances. They tell you to shoot 500 rounds through your pistol before you attempt to take it apart for maintenance. I tried to take mine apart after only 200 rounds. The slide and barrel got wedged together partly open. It took a large rubber mallet and my bench vise to get them apart. No other "high dollar" 1911 I have ever owned was this way.
    Wilson Combat has a saying that goes something like this "we don't have to build them tight, we build them right".
    The Ed Brown was a good pistol, but I found the Wilsons more to my liking.
    All high dollar 1911s are great. I had to buy the three in the photo before I decided to keep the stainless Wilson Classic at the bottom. The other two pistol have gone on to other happy campers.
    DON'T BUY FROM Les Baer.

Wow! Les Baer is OFF the list!

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Get a Rock Island in 10mm tbh, you actually get a decent gun that needs little work and doesnt cost as much as a used Camaro

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Baer, Wilson and Brown are more semi-customs or well fit production guns.

Look at guns from Gregg Derr, Chuck Rogers, Ted Yost, or Jason Burton. Harrison Design is good too.
    Unless you find one in the wild I don't think any of those smith's are taking on new builds.

Top Bottom