• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Looking for a nice OWB holster for a Gov't 1911. Prefer leather. I cary my SS Delta Elite and want to start carrying my Les Baer once I get some rounds through it.

I have an old Bianchi police holster that I use, but it sucks. It's a closed-ended pancake-style, which I feel puts too much strain on my belt reinforcement. It also rides high as shit, which most OWB holsters tend to do. Feels like a shoulder holster lol.

Long story long:
    Leather OWB
    Clips (not pancake slits)
    Low Ride

Any suggestions? I think the hardest thing to find is a low-riding OWB.
    Target Sports

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Don't own any leather holsters yet for my 1911 but I want a Blackhawk leather holster. Every Blackhawk leather holster I got for a revolver has been amazing.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Problems with some holsters that hang lower than the belt is ease of drawing, unless it fastens at a lower point, like a strap around the leg, it can be cumbersome. I use an El Paso Saddlery fast draw, where the end of the holster is open, but then it is also the leather slitted pancake style that you say you don't want.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I bought a Tagua 4n1 for my full size Kimber. It fits like a glove. It can be OWB, IWB(although that is probably going away), vertical or horizontal OWB, crossdraw.
    IMG_2022 (Medium).jpeg
    IMG_2023 (Medium).jpeg

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Problems with some holsters that hang lower than the belt is ease of drawing, unless it fastens at a lower point, like a strap around the leg, it can be cumbersome. I use an El Paso Saddlery fast draw, where the end of the holster is open, but then it is also the leather slitted pancake style that you say you don't want.
    that actually makes a lot of sense. Even my kydex OWB hoslters ride high, probably for that reason. Never thought of that.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    this actually looks pretty good. Does the IWB clip come off when you wear it OWB?

I'm going to take the clip out and probably remove the leather also. I can't see a full size 45 IWB, at least not in a holster. I would have to go up 2-3 belt sizes.

Attachments

• IMG_2024 (Medium).jpeg
      IMG_2024 (Medium).jpeg
      90.2 KB · Views: 198

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Talk to Paul at Warbird Leather: paul@warbirdleather.com.

Excellent quality, great guy. Snug fit on belt, stays close to your side. I have ended up with probably four or five of his holsters.

Here is a comparison I compiled a while back.
    Holster comparison.JPG

Sparks is also good, but more expensive than Warbird. The Mitch Rosen did not have a sweatshield.

Here are some Warbirds, pics do not do them justice.

Warbird OWB.JPG

Warbird OWB cordovan.JPG

Would not recommend MT Custom. Leadtimes at Alessi are just ridiculous (now at 17 months and still waiting).

Remember that a good belt is every bit as important as a good holster. A steel insert leather belt such as Bigfoot works well.

I would add that personally, I prefer the snap on holsters. Easy to put on and off without having to remove your belt.

Also, Paul will customize the cant, holster leather, patch, color, etc. to your desires.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Low holsters can also cause issues when you go to sit down.

And if no retention, sitting with one could push the gun right out of the holster if it contacts whatever it is you’re sitting on (like a chair, not your ass LOL)

I like my El Paso Saddlery High Slide. But it’s more of a BBQ holster IMHO

6dccc72e83947f486cc762ad08ee7e95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I would recommend you go the 1911Addicts forum and search in the gear sub-forum for holsters. You will find extensive information there specific to 1911 holsters.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Low holsters can also cause issues when you go to sit down.

And if no retention, sitting with one could push the gun right out of the holster if it contacts whatever it is you’re sitting on (like a chair, not your ass LOL)

I like my El Paso Saddlery High Slide. But it’s more of a BBQ holster IMHO

View attachment 142265

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's the same one I have, but in black. I've had no issues.

Top Bottom