• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    I might reconsider your evaluation of the taurus, their retail price is high i agree but private party, is very reasonable I have a colt 80 series commander, a wilson combat tactical elite, and very very cool sig 1911, any ways i bought a taurus pt1911 ss for about 500 and that is a cool gun very very nice much better than i exspected, but to each their own

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Guess I got one of the "few" good PT1911's. $540 plus transfer about a month ago. Shoots on target at up to 25 yds and is dead on at 15 yds. Actually shoots more accurately than the XD9sc and that is saying a lot. Don't think I will need adjustable rear sights if ever I have to use it for SD but I could be wrong. No issues with FTF or FTE or any other problem with an acronym. Almost bought a RIA Tactical Compact but sure am glad I wasn't that impatient.

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK guys I will shoot right beside anyone with my rock island, I have run 30k rounds through it with out a gun problem I reload and have had one or two rounds not seated deep enough but that would have choked a kimber wilson or les baer, at 15 yards I keep them in 6 ring with ease ,10 yards the 8 ring, 5 yards the bull will only take 10 before it is gone !
    I have had this rock island for near 3 years and I have Had colts that were customized ,all the bells and whistles , and they didn't shoot as good . I have a colt series 80 ( where my name comes from "JUNKYGUNS")
    which if is the last one I have it will be in my right hand and a louisville slugger in the left for when it fails !
    Either way you go you cant beat a 1911 they are the SH@t !
    I have plenty of other hand guns in the safe ,but everytime I leave out the door there is a 1911 with me.

why do i carry a 45 cause they dont make a 1911 in a 46 !

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    a lot of folks say the same thing, I am not slinging bull ! I have run over 30 k in this one with out a single gun failure nor any replacement parts , I generally shoot low velocity rounds that i reload in the 750-800 fps range and are of soft lead content mostly bh of 18 or less which accounts for a lot of the UNwear in the pistol keepiing it very clean and lubed helps as well . the barrel is starting to show signs of wear as is the barrel link but those are the parts that most folks change out in the first year anyway. if it fell apart the next time i pull the trigger I honestly could say this has been a fine handgun and now I must get another just like it !

oh and another trick to reduce metal to metal wear on any semi auto pistol is to go to your local walmart or auto parts get you a can of slick 50 engine oil treatment soak your dis-assembled gun it it for a little while wipe it down re-assemble it , the teflon in the additive will protect the bearing surfaces and reduce metal to metal wear. plain and simple it works ! now pour the rest of it in your ford ,chevy dodge or what ever takes you thereit will help it as well!!!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Not accurate out of the box and no adjustable sights make it a bad deal IMO

I've never owned a pistol that needed adjustable sights. I've had plenty of instances where I needed an adjustable shooter though.

I have not tried the Taurus PT1911, but I can't see how it'd be inaccurate. The slide to frame fit isn't bad, the bushing is reasonably fitted, and the overall design of the gun is as proven as proven gets. Alot of rattly, shitbox Colt's I've shot have been one hole guns, and I mean shitbox... one of them if you pointed it downwards and shook it the bushing would fall out.

I will say, my take on the Taurus is simply "save up for a Kimber". For $100 more you can get a Custom II which is easily twice the gun in my opinion, and Kimber's customer service is wonderful.

The RIA 1911s are basic, and you are getting what you are paying for. That being said, it's a great platform for building a range rat.

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "The RIA 1911s are basic, and you are getting what you are paying for. That being said, it's a great platform for building a range rat."

This is true You get what you pay for a gun that will eat almost anything and perform the way a 1911 is supposed to perform, great!

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'm sure glad none of us are biased towards the guns we own. Heaven forbid anybody else would have a positive experience with a weapon one of us doesn't like.
    I think history will show no "Jap" faced a Philippine 1911. They faced a few USGI 1911's. America could not make them fast enough to supply our troops. The enemy faced S&W 1917 .45 acp Revolvers also produced by Colt. Armscorp/Armscor is a very post war producer. (Incorporated in 1980) This does not mean they are low quality, just not historic.

Castrolr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    the PT1911 is not a bad gun.. i spent a day at the range with one a friend bought. when we were done we got the ole caliper out and did the barrel ,bushing and slide measurement. it had 12 thou of slop in it.. so accuracy can be improved by getting a tighter bushing

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure glad none of us are biased towards the guns we own. Heaven forbid anybody else would have a positive experience with a weapon one of us doesn't like.
    I think history will show no "Jap" faced a Philippine 1911. They faced a few USGI 1911's. America could not make them fast enough to supply our troops. The enemy faced S&W 1917 .45 acp Revolvers also produced by Colt. Armscorp/Armscor is a very post war producer. (Incorporated in 1980) This does not mean they are low quality, just not historic.

not sure what you mean about the japs facing a philippine 1911 but I understand the 1917 very well I am the extremely proud owner of one that was issued to my great grandfather that he carried and used in the war ,now it is the centerpiece of my collection and the most valued to me, as well as a deadly accurate handgun that stays loaded with a full moon clip of black talons !

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I got my RIA FS at Gander Mountain for $450. Its a good price if you don't want to pay the transfer fee, shipping and like me...have little patience.

The RIA 1911A1 FS is, in my humble opinion, a reliable shooter. As far as quality is concerned, and the fact that it is made in the Philippines, just remember that the last thing a Jap soldier wanted to do in WWII was to stare down the barrel of a Philippine guerilla's 1911. I think Armscor has a decent reputation it would like to keep.

View attachment 646

The above is what I meant about no "Japs" facing a Philippine 1911.
    There were no Philippine made 1911's during WWII
    The S&W Model of 1917 is one of my dream guns to own someday.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Also I have a PT 1911. Its just left of my name. If you knew me on the Taurus board, you would know I think its not worth the money. My Novak (by Taurus) sights are drift adjustable. That's one of their big problems the set screws come loose and the sights drift all over the place. Mine fell out, front and back. The set screws are an uncommon metric size so they are very hard to find unless you have access to a machine shop. Taurus Customer Service for their Lifetime Warranty is the without doubt most useless bunch of morons on the planet. I had to explain that the front sight and the rear had different sized set screws and when they sent them they were still wrong. Their Lifetime warranty is their warranty and your Lifetime to wait. Lord don't get me started. I'd honestly advise to pass on Taurus for now. They are slowly overcoming their super crappy reputation from the '70s, but they are not there yet.
    I do not carry my PT 1911, I bought it just because I've never owned a 1911. All in all the gun shoots well, except for the little sight problem. But I would not trust it for daily carry.
    Note: The sights are licensed by Novak, but produced by Taurus.

Top Bottom