• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.
    I'm looking for a 1911 and I would like to know what the some 1911s have bull barrels and some have bushings. What's the difference in terms of function? What are the pros and cons of each?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Most of the bulls are on short barrels where the recoil spring is doubled with a full length guide rod. This is due to the short length and not enough room in the spring tunnel. The bull also saves room by not having the machining for the bushing tab. That doesn't mean that some 3 and 3.5 inch 1911s don't have bushings, just most don't. Function? Technically the bull could be argued to be more accurate as it eliminates the possible play between the barrel and the bushing or the bushing and the slide. However for that to matter the barrel would have to be custom fit to the slide. Shooting would then wear on the slide and the barrel eventually creating play between the two. A bushing, properly fit will give the same accuracy and when it wears or loosened it is far cheaper to replace than the barrel to restore that accuracy. Most of the top competitors use bushings. My statement is based on technical mechanical accuracy. Practical accuracy is up to the shooter and in the long run, it probably doesn't matter. All of my 1911s, save one have bushings. The one that doesn't is an early SA ultra compact mil-spec. Because of the barrel length it is not as accurate as my other 1911s but it is designed to be combat accurate.

sean gaines

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    katy, Texas
    I'm looking for a 1911 and I would like to know what the some 1911s have bull barrels and some have bushings. What's the difference in terms of function? What are the pros and cons of each?

As far as accuracy I don't feel there is that much difference to say one is better than the other. the advantages of a bull is more weight in the front, some prefer this. Also they don't want to fiddle with a bushing install. Bushing type barrels are lighter due to thickness of the barrel, and are good for concealed carry, where you want light. I like them both I don't think you could go wrong with either one, if properly installed. Just my .02 cents.
    -sean

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I have had them both, shooting several thousand rounds through each, and have yet to see any problems from wear. As a matter of fact I checked the machined bore when my Wilson Combat Professional was new and now that I have over 5000 rounds through it. There is no measurable wear difference. My gun is stainless so I dont know how much this will affect carbon steel slides. I also had a Springfield Champion that had a carbon steel slide and the bull barrel. In over 8000 rounds there was no loss in accuracy or looseness in the barrel to slide fit. I talked to both Wilson & Springfield technical people who assured me that the setups would outlast my shooting needs, especially after I told them how much I shot a month. Both also have great customer service departments that will take care of their products.

tex45acp

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A bushing is more accurate if fitted properly.

The bull barrel has less bearing area than the bushing for lock-up. It's benefit is reliability and end weight for competition usage.

Frankly, either one is plenty accurate.

Top Bottom